Cold Summer

Last Day

I spun around ignoring the amused look on Fred’s face and decided to take the long way to class.

When I got home my mother forced me into a chair and practically shoved the food down my throat and then made me drink two water bottle well she watched. She then sent me up stairs to sleep.

Someone was taking the doctors advice a little too far.

I tossed and turned bad memories pouring through my mind so quick I could barely make them out. The one thing that was clear was the voice it said only one word over and over the word seemed so random but the made the dream that more terrifying.

“Alex!” I shot up in bed my mother leaning over me with her hand on my elbow. “You where having a bad dream Hun.”

I nodded numbly. Trying to avoid her motherly eyes that seemed to be able to see through everything with that annoying, motherly ‘intuition’ they all seem to have.

“Maybe you should stay home for awhile….” She trailed off biting her lip looking away.

“Mom I’ll be fine, I am fine, I can go to Dad's. It was just a bad dream.” I reassured her, although thinking about the dream made my stomach do a tiny flip and not the good flips either.

She pondered this, her face a pout. I gave her a cold stare and asked, “Mom are you trying to make up excuses for me to stay because you want me to stay?”

“Well sweetie it’s just that I never see you anymore.” She replied tucking in a piece of my dark brown hair behind my ear.

I stared at her in shock until she said slightly annoyed, “What? I can’t miss you? You’re never around lately.”

“Mom I think you have it backwards it’s you who’s never around. You’re always off with Dave. Or kicking me out of the house to be with Dave.” I told her angrily watching as confusing covered her face.

“I’m not always there, I’m home and you’ve been staying home for about a month now.” She said quickly her eyebrows pulled together over her eyes as she tried to make herself look more like a responsible mother.

I nodded because I didn’t want to fight with her. Fighting with her would just lead to a longer sentence in this town. The only thing we had in common other then are light green eyes was that we were stubborn and always wanted to have the last word.

When I didn’t say anything she got up from my bed and walked out of the room and as she closed the door I whispered, “Maybe I’m not fine.”

The last day of school wasn’t so bad.

Until gym came around and then it was painful.

I couldn’t believe that they stuck to the schedules even on the last day. Most people came not for school but to say goodbye. A - not - large group of seniors would not be staying in the area next year all going away to collage or travel. The amount that graduated this year was a town record, thirty - eight students graduated.

Four said screw it they weren’t coming back, about five are going to do grade twelve over again.

That is a town record right there!

I walked out into the sun slowly making my way to the field where everyone was laying down on the grass in little groups but still close enough to each other so that everyone’s conversation could be heard.

I shifted on my feet as I got closer. Where was I supposed to sit? I had no friends in this class except for Fred and well things have been kind of awkward. To be truthful I don’t know who’s avoiding who at the moment.

But I've seen very little of him.

I sit on the outskirts close enough to not look like a complete loser but far enough away so that I don’t get weird looks for sitting next to someone’s group. A group of girls a cross the circle are very subtle looking over there shoulders at me with a question in there gaze. I don’t realize why until Noah plops down beside me.

“We should talk.” He says lowly so that I can only hear. His closeness puts me off and in response I shuffle away from him so there’s a good amount of space between us.

“Alex.” His voice comes out in a warning.

“Hey pixie why don’t you move that short butt of yours over here.” Fred calls out, surrounded by his basketball friends. His propped up on his elbows his long legs stretched out. He looks at me over his dark tinted sunglasses a glimmer of concern in his dark blue eyes.

I nod and quickly get up. I don’t have to look back to know Noah's eyes are on my back, I can feel them on me the whole way.

I sat beside Fred crossed legged, it only took me four seconds to start regret my decision, “Care to explain your self pixie?”

I looked at him like he was crazy he kept his voice even the whole gym class of 14 seniors and 17 juniors all heard his question and looked at me expectantly to answer. I noticed that the girls that had been staring me at first now had a look about them that said, ‘GOSSIP’ all over there faces.

“And why would I have to do that string bean?” I asked smiling at him nicely.

I grinned as I watched him frown at the nickname and then his face brightened a little, “You know what shrimp.”

“I’m a afraid I don’t giant.” I replied, my confusing was in my voice and on my face. What was Fred up to?

“I can’t believe you forgot.” He said turning his head away from me as if he was ashamed to look at me. I watched him puzzled. “All that love making and you just forgot about it.”

I stared at him my mouth slightly open. The eyes on my back now turning into a glare of death. And then I fought back a smile my face and instead put on a poker face. “It wasn’t that memorable…Shrimp.”

Whatever Fred had in mind he definitely didn’t expect me to insult his manly hood. Some of his basketball buddies where laughing and making light “small” jokes at Fred who was glaring daggers at me.

When Dave final got on the field he looked just about as excited as us. School was almost over only 55 minutes left.

He did something that surprised everybody more than mine and Fred's apparent love making, “Last class, last day, go ahead and go home.”

We all sat there un - moved staring up at him in shock he was the gym teacher that took his job very seriously and his was…Letting us go. Maybe it was a trick to see who would stay and who would go.

He looked at us agitated and then said sternly, “GO.”

We all scrambled to climb to our feet to make our way home, everyone branched off into a different direction for short cuts.

I just needed to grave my ipod that the office had promised to give me at the end of the year before making my own way home.

The halls where deserted most classrooms empty. Everything was creepily quite. Until I heard the steady footsteps of someone behind me, glancing over my shoulder saw Noah Clark.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)