Cold Summer

I Hope You Choke Just So I Can Laugh

My father chuckled nervously. Well Matt glared at the TV as if it had just told him to fuck off. I looked un certainly to my father who was shaking his head. He quickly picked up my bag and walked up the stairs, expecting me to follow. I would have done anything to get away from John who seemed to be thinking about other embarrassing stories to tell me.

“Sorry about that.” He said simply dropping my beg on a twin bed with a pink comforter.

I shrugged un certain about how I should be reacting, “It’s fine.”

He shuffled on his feet and then made his way to the door half way there he turned and said, “When your ready come down stairs and get something to eat…Wouldn’t want you to end up in the hospital again.”

I smile lightly at him as he walked out closing the door behind him. I slumped down on the bed and looked around the four white walls with nothing hung up on them. There was a small closet and a window seat that looked out over the front lawn.

There wasn’t much in the room besides the bed and a dresser and a nightstand table the was on the other side of the bed. I sighed leaned back so that my upper body was lying on the bed and legs hung off the ends.

I most have fallen asleep because the knocking on my door woke me up. Startled I sat up straight and ran a hand through my hair and made my way to the door. I opened it and found Matt with his hand raised in a fist to knock again.

He gave me and small smile. “Your dad told me to come get you…Your mom called five times already to remind him to feed you.”

I nodded and walked out of the room closing the door behind me.

My father shoved food at me in a manner that reminded of my mother. John sat at one end of the table well my father at the other and Matt faced me. I was really starting to wonder if they where-

“There not gay.” Matt said without looking up from the slice of pizza he was scoffing down. I looked up surprised.

“I never said they where.” I snapped back, this time his head snapped up he stared at me with an amazed look on his face.

“Well we’ve over stayed our welcome long enough, come on Matt the stalls need to be cleaned.” John said getting up with ease. Matt stared at him with disbelief, Matt still had half his large second portion or pizza to eat.

John rolled his eyes at him, “Stuff it and get a move on.”

“See you in the morning John.” Dad said at the table as Matt and John walked out of the kitchen, Matt shoving the pizza in his mouth with extreme difficulty.

“See ya.” John said back. And then half way to the door he stopped and started to pound Matt on the back saying, “Swallow it kid, swallow it…What the hell are you doing? I said swallow it not choke on it.”

My father half got up out of his sit looking at Matt wearily saying, “Is he alright?”

“Never mind him Brad he’ll be fine if he SWALLOWED.” John said looking at my father apologetically and then back at Matt agitated.

This was comical although it shouldn’t have been it was. A giggled raised deep in my throat and I was surprised my eyes widen.

How long had it been since I actually found something funny?