Cold Summer

Kids Who Run Around Naked Together Are Friends For Life.

I shouldn’t have been surprised to walk down the stairs and find Matt there but it still gave me a startle. I stared at his back as he moved the pans around, cracking eggs and humming the Dawson’s Creek theme song to himself.

“You know you really don’t have to do this. You could go hang out with your friends – "

Just as I was about to finish my sentence he cut me off, “I don’t have any.”

His voice was stern, rough and and an obvious ‘I don’t want to talk about it’. I wondered if this was where his aggression came from.

“Is this why you’re so angry all the time?” I bluntly asked, annoyed.

“Your one to talk.” He grumbled.

“What’s that suppose to mean?” I asked outraged.

“I doubt you where starving yourself to look better seems to me like you where trying to kill yourself slowly!” He shouted back turning towards the me.

“For the hundredth time I was NOT trying to STARVE myself! Let along KILL myself!” I shouted back starring at him trying to glare holes into his forehead.

“Whatever.” He said as he walked out of the house, not looking back. I jumped as the slamming of the door echoed threw the house.

For the next two days I didn’t see Matt or John and my father was giving me the silent treatment. Finally there a was a knock on my door, I got up and opened the door.

“You should talk to Matt…You might not remember but you two use to be inseparable. His probably down Labort lane.” With that he walked out of my room laying the keys of his truck on my dresser.

I sat there weighing my oppositions. If I didn’t talk to Matt I’d feel both crummy and probably have to go back home…That was something I never wanted to do…Or I could go talk to Matt figure out what the hell is wrong with him and then try to finally forget things that have been far from my mind since I came here.

I halted the truck to a stop beside two other trucks both with trailers for boats hooked to the back of them. At the end of the dirt road was an opening a large cleared area and then there was the lake shining against from the sun's reflection, the trees reflected on the black surface. A dock was off to the side where Matt sat at the very end with his feet in the water.

I walked on the dock with caution his head didn’t move an inch even as the dock swayed and bounced in the water. I sat down beside him, rolling up my jeans I placed my feet in the cold water beside his.

“My mom is going out with my gym teacher. She spends more time over at his house then ours. I didn’t have any money to buy food,

I wasn’t trying to starve myself or anything there just wasn’t anything to eat in the house.” I stated starring over at him waiting for him to look back.

Finally I looked away starring at the water as I swayed my feet back and forth, focusing on the the ripples and not the complete silence from beside me.

I peeked over at him out of the corner of me eye, he gave me a weird look as if to say, ‘what the fuck are you talking about?’. After five minutes of silence I sighed and stated annoyed, “this would work out a lot better if you responded.”

“I really don’t care.” He said looking over the lake. I turned my head and stared at the calm water.

“I killed her.” His voice was so silent I didn’t think I heard.

“What?” I asked softly turning my whole head to stare at him as he continued to stare at the water..

“Jean, she was my girlfriend kindness girl you could ever find she was the town’s sweetheart everyone loved her. Including me last year on October third she was driving us home from a party it was three fifteen in the morning…

She didn’t stop at the stop sign, I told her it was a waste of time no one was going to be on the road at this hour…

Just as she turned a four door silver Honda came down the road and hit the driver’s side...She was killed instantly.” His voice was so low I barely realized he had stopped till a silent sob went through his chest.

I put my arm around his torso leaning my forehead on his upper arm I repeated to him softly, over and over, “its okay, it’s going to be okay.”

I wondered silently if I could say the same to myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Anyone think they know what Alexandra is hiding?