Status: On hiatus indefinitely.

This Night, Walk The Dead

This Isn't A Life

[Evie]
“I’m glad you let him go Evie. You know that he’d only turn on you if he found out the truth.” Rayne stared over his arched fingers, with his green gaze just as bright from my position at the other end of the long table, as if he was sitting only an arm’s reach away.
I quickly averted my gaze down to my empty plate. I couldn’t bear to look him in the eye anymore.
All the compassion they had seemed to hold before, was gone, leaving him cold and empty.
“Come now Evie, don’t be sad.” Rayne purred. “You know he wasn’t worth it anyway.”
I turned to my right, where Rayne now sat, perched on the edge of the table, right leg crossed over the other.
“No need to show off Rayne. I don’t find it fascinating, or intriguing, or whatever it is you’re going for.” I sighed as he lightly ran his long, pale fingers down my cheek, attempting to turn my face towards his.
I pushed back my chair and stood up.
“I’m sick of this Rayne. I’m sick of having to stay away from everyone. I’m sick of not sleeping, or eating, or breathing. I’m sick of living. Why can’t I just grow old and die?”
Rayne stood, placing his hand on my chin, gently lifting my head up to meet his horrible, empty eyes.
“Evie, darling. You knew what was going to happen. You agreed to it. Now come on, let’s go upstairs, and I’ll get you a drink.” He wrapped his arm around my shoulders started walking towards the stairs. “And it’s not like you couldn’t have backed out of it, I gave you plenty of choices...”
I zoned out, leaning my head against his lean frame.
Why did I let this happen?
This isn’t the life I want.
Hell, this isn’t even a life.

“...and I know that you were fairly young to be making such a big decision bu-“’
“Fairly young!?” I pushed him away. “Fuck, Rayne! I was nineteen! I didn’t realise it would be like this! I didn’t know this would happen!”
“you didn’t know? How could you not know? I thought it was pretty obvious what you were getting into when you agreed.”Rayne’s eyes narrowed in anger, the pupils becoming slits. “How can you say you regret it? I gave you everything. And you run away from me, trying to kill yourself. Trying to make you lose you.” He finished bitterly, whipping his face away from me.
I grabbed his arm, making him face me. “I’m not yours to lose Rayne!”
“Why not Evie? Why can’t you be mine?” He snarled, grabbing my shoulders.
“Because I’m not something to be owned!” I shoved against his chest, not expecting him to let me go.
He held onto me for a few moments, his hollow eyes trying to see my soul, before releasing his hold, pushing me away from him. I landed heavily on my side, before getting up, and backing away from him. “I’m not anything anymore.”
I turned and ran for my room, knowing that if he wanted to, Rayne could make it inside before I’d even crossed the hall.

I sat down on the bed, not bothering to lock the door.
He could break through it anyway.
He had before.
He probably would again.
I shivered, remembering the very first time I’d met Rayne.
He’d broken down the double bolted and barred door, lunging in, and grabbing me from the corner where I’d been cowering.
At the time I wasn’t scared of him.
I thought he’d kill me and get it over and done with.
That I could deal with.
I was hiding from something worse than death.
But he didn’t end up killing me.
I slid off the bed and onto the floor, creating a cloud of dust. I sneezed as I reached under the bed, pulling out a small wooden box. I wiped its lid clean with my sleeve, trailing my fingers over the engravings.
A rose, surrounded by thorns.
He’d given me this one night, to stop me from running away. He told me he’d give me his heart to make me stay.
I didn’t realise he meant it literally.