Status: On hiatus indefinitely.

This Night, Walk The Dead

Drowning

[Frank]
I stood out in the bright sunshine, surveying the scene with disgust.
Every bit as bad as it looked from the window.
I walked along the riverside, staring down into the swirling waters. The heavy rainfall of the night before had filled all the storm drains in the city; now the river was rushing by faster than ever to release all the water into the lakes. I sat down on the bank, grabbing a handful of small rocks, throwing them into the river one by one.
A couple, a brunette woman and a tall blonde man about my age, walked along the other side of the river, hand in hand. I watched them walk along for a while before I had to look away. It was all so… couply.
The sun dimmed as a rogue cloud passed overhead. Suddenly it was cold. I pulled my jacket tighter around me, zipping it up, and pulling the collar up to keep up the cold breeze.
Damn wind
My jacket still smelt of her.
Roses.
Of all the things about her, that I could have forgotten,
That much I remember.

[Evie]
I paced along the river.
I had been walking for something like 5 hours now, and it was starting to get dark.
Inside me, a war raged between the side that wanted to stay, and the side that was already about to turn back.
I clenched my fists, nails digging into my palms. I wouldn't succumb that easily.
Then my feet stopped.
There was a bench about half a mile away. I could make it that far.
I had to.

[Frank]
The surface of the river was getting calmer, and although the sun had started going down, it was still rather warm.
I glanced down at my watch. It was time to be heading back for band practise, so, muscles aching from the long period of inactivity, I stood up and headed back towards my apartment, via the bridge over the river. About halfway across I stopped, looking over the rails.
Wonder what it would be like to jump?
It wasn't such a long drop, and there were no rocks in this part of the river. I hopped over the railing, and dropped over the edge, falling a few feet, into the freezing, fast moving water. I felt the water soak through my clothes, and the weight of them drag me down, and along the river.
Not such a good idea.
The water rushed into my mouth, my ears, my eyes, and threatened to pull me under. I fought back, wasting all my breath just trying to stay afloat. There was no way I could make it to the bank. I had never been a good swimmer.
My chest suddenly expelled the last breaths of air it held, as my body was crashed into a large rock in the water. I had gone further down the river than I had expected. I pulled me head above the water, and tried to rapidly gulp in air, but only swallowed mouthfuls of dirty water. The water dragged me under again, and my vision started going dark.
No I screamed in my head. Not now. Not like this