Status: On hiatus indefinitely.

This Night, Walk The Dead

Never Wanted

[Frank]
I knelt down beside her, brushing her hair away from her face.
Her already pale skin seemed even whiter against the dark red of her blood.

"Evie." I muttered. "I wish I could have saved you."

Her head turned slightly towards me, and her eyes sprang open.

[Evie]
"Rayne, get Rayne." I coughed out.

My eyelids grew heavy, and Frank gripped my hand in his.

"What? How? Evie, how?"
His urgent voice seemed to be fading.

"Pocket. Cards."
I felt Frank reach into my pocket, taking the deck of cards, and he folded my hands around them.
I pulled out the first card.

"Bitte kommen Sie. Eile Rayne"

I slipped back into the darkness.

[Rayne]
I stood still abruptly.
The chandelier swung one last time before falling to the floor with a crash.
Evie?
I paced around the room.
Now she wants me.
Too bad.
She had her chance.
She never wants me for anything important anyway.


[Frank]
"He's not here Evie."
She grabbed hold of my hand.

"Take the… the cards. Ask him to come." Her eyes fluttered open, unfocused and dull.

"But I- I don't know how."

"Try."

Her eyes shut again.
I grabbed the cards with both hands, gently placing her hands back over her stomach.
Bit-eh kommon say?
Fuck that's not it.

I felt tears prick my eyes at my failure to recall something so simple. I scrunched them shut, as I felt a cold hand touch mine.

"Bitte kommen Sie. Eile Rayne."
The words spoken weren't mine, but I had said them.

[Rayne]
"What is it you want me for Evelyn?" I said, stepping out of the shadows.

The boy looked up in surprise.

"Oh don't look so shocked. You've seen this before."

His brow was furrowed in confusion.

"Remember," I continued. "You were there, and I was there, and she was there."

"Why aren't you helping her?" he yelled.

"Why should I help her? She wanted to die!" I spat.

He stood up, his hands clenching into fists.
Oh, look. He's going to fight me. How cute.

"What is wrong with you? She's dying and you just stand there!" he flung his arms out, gesturing at me.

"What's wrong with me? It's not like I see you saving her life!"

"There's nothing I can do! It's 5 in the morning, there's no one around, and in case you haven't noticed, I went for a bit of a swim last night, so I can't just call an ambulance. Tell me, how is it that I'm meant to save her?"

I laughed. "Oh don't act so naïve. You know exactly what you have to do."
He looked confused again.

"What? You don't?" I laughed harder, throwing my head back. "Surely you must have figured it out by now."

"Would you just tell me already? She's dying, in case you haven't noticed!" he yelled again.

"Oh I've certainly noticed. But I don't see why I should have to do anything about it. She's been trying to off herself for years now. Why should I have to save her? She never wanted me to begin with."