Leaving

Leaving

Carrie snuck through the room, her ears alert for any sound. Her eyes had adjusted to the darkness, lights weren’t an option. Moonlight shone through the two windows of the bedroom, giving her enough light to see by.

The young woman packed her small bag. Random articles of clothing were thrown into the bag along with anything of value, old pieces of jewelry and light weight electronics. Carrie worked as quickly as she could; her heart was pounding in her ears. Tears came to her pale eyes with every sound she accidentally made. Finally her bag was filled to capacity. She closed it, slowly opened the bedroom door, and listened with battered breath.

The low buzz from a television and deep breathing came from the small office that was a few feet away. The rest of the house was silent. This would be Carrie’s only chance. Her only chance to get away for good.

Carrie steadied her breathing, she felt like a panic attack was on the way and now was not the time for one. She slowly pushed the door open, inch-by-inch. It was almost open wide enough for her to slip through when it creaked. She stopped breathing and waited for her husband to wake up and catch her. Nearly a minute passed before she deemed it safe enough to venture out of the bedroom.

A blue-ish light flickered from the open door of the study. Carrie could still hear Dan breathing as deeply as he had been for the past hour. A car horn blared from the nearby busy street. Carrie barely suppressed the squeal that had tried to escape her dry lips. A few small tears fell from her eyes; she was so close to loosing her nerve. She was about to turn back when her arm hit against the door knob of her bedroom door.

The action caused a brief throbbing in Carrie’s arm. That brought Carrie to her senses, it reminded her of all the reasons why she was getting as far away from Dan as possible that night.

Carrie pushed herself away from the door and made her way down the wooden stairs. She was seven steps down when the stair creaked. Instead of the quiet sound the door made, the step seemed to echo in the house.

Carrie lost no time. She hurried down the last few steps, the sound f her footsteps echoing through the house. The woman was terrified the whole time, those few seconds it took for her to get from the stairs to the front door.

She reached the front door in what felt like an eternity. Her hand grasped the cool knob and turned while simultaneously pulling it open. She couldn’t help but gasp in terror. The door she had purposely left unlocked was locked!

Her fingers fumbled with the first of three locks but her hands were shaking too much. Then a sound made Carrie stop in tracks.

“Care, is that you making all this racket?” Dan.

The computer chair from the study creaked and the TV was turned off. At the sound of Dan’s first step Carrie threw herself back into her task.

The first lock was done, the one on the doorknob, and then the dead bolt. Finally there was only the chain left. Dan was at the top of the stairs but the door was positioned a little too far to the left for Dan to see Carrie and he had yet to turn the light on. Carrie frantically slid the chain out of it’s lock, yanked the door open, and ran into the night.

“Carrie!” she heard Dan shout. His footsteps followed her.

Carrie’s strides were too short, Dan’s too long. Carrie ran for the main road, it was her only hope. She risked a glance back and her heart stopped. Dan was catching up to her despite the old flip flops he wore.

Carrie turned her head back to look ahead when her foot hit the piece of sidewalk that rose three inches. She went flying, face first, and before she could stop herself Carrie’s head hit the sidewalk.

The throbbing pain woke Carrie up. Her eyes opened slowly and then closed against the bright light of the room. She groaned at the three areas of pain, the side of her head, her eyes, and her brain where a massive migraine was starting.

“Good morning, dear,” someone sneered.

Carrie flinched and attempted to stead her breathing. She had failed, after months and months of planning she had failed.

“Wake up, Caroline! I want you to explain yourself!” Dan barked in his harshest tone, the one Carrie had grown to fear.

Carrie coiled into herself right before Dan hit her.

“You will never leave me again! You ungrateful, whore!” Dan shouted as the punches continued to assault Carrie’s sore body.

Tears fell down her face and she suppressed her cries of pain, those showed too many emotions and just made Dan angrier. Finally the fists stopped hitting Carrie. She didn’t open her eyes until his footsteps started towards the door.

“You will never leave me again,” Dan’s hiss sent shivers through Carrie’s spine.

The light was shut off and a door closed with a sharp snap. Carrie whimpered and cried as the night passed by, as her freedom was destroyed.