Fate Is Leading The Way

If Someone Said Three Years From Now You'd Be Long Gone I'd Stand Up And Punch Them Out

Image

Five Years Later

"Fay get down here the guests will be arriving soon." I called up the stairs.

I continued to put balloons up in our living room as I waited for my daughter to come downstairs. I sighed loudly when ten minutes later she still wasn't downstairs.

"Fay what is taking so long?" I asked as I opened her bedroom door.

She stood in front of her bed two dresses in front of her. "I can't decide what to wear."

"Why?" I asked confused. "I thought you were wearing the dress we picked out?"

"Daddy sent me this one though." She said pointing to the blue dress next to the purple one I bought her.

"Well which one do you like?" I asked hiding my dislike of her father.

After five years Nick and I never worked things out. I just couldn't be with someone who cheated on me. No matter how much I loved him then it didn't change anything. Now that Nick is engaged to the person who broke us up in the first place I have no desire to be around him.

"I don't know." Fay said looking at me for help.

"Pick something else out." I said walking over to her closet.

"Ok." Fay said pushing aside some of her clothes. "I like this." She said pulling down one her dresses.

"Put that on and brush your hair then come downstairs." I instructed. "People should be here any minute now."

I walked towards the door but stopped as soon as I entered the hall. "Oh and happy birthday sweetheart." I said smiling at my daughter.

Two hours later and the birthday party was going strong. All of Fay's friends from school were running around the house and most of the Jonas' had come out to see Fay.

"Hannah you look amazing." Denise said as I stood next to her by the food table.

"Thank you." I said smiling. "You look just as good."

"I agree."

I turned and saw Joe standing behind me with an arm full of presents. "Joe!" I exclaimed.

"Hey there." Joe said smiling at me. "Where can put these?"

"Over there." I said pointing to the mountain of presents in the corner. "Your niece is spoiled."

"We wouldn't have it any other way." Joe said winking at me.

Things with Joe hadn't changed. We talk everyday and see each other as often as possible. Our relationship is purely friendship, except for those rare and random moments when we need each other for more then a friendly meeting.

"Are Kevin and Shae coming?" I asked Denise.

"Yes. They're picking up Elizabeth from her other grandparent’s house then they'll be here."

Kevin had married and had a child with Shae. They were the perfect couple and they had a beautiful daughter.

"Great. It’s been so long since I saw Lizzie."

The Jonas Brothers as a group ended a year after Nick and I did. The boys just wanted to live their own lives and go for their dreams. Kevin has settled down and Joe has stared in a couple blockbuster movies. Nick took the solo route. He has had made a few multi-platinum selling CDs and even won a Grammy. He started his own record company, and produces and writes for other artists.

"He's not going to show is he?" I asked Joe a little later while we watched Fay rip through her presents.

"He better or he'll be sorry." Joe growled as he looked at his watch again.

"It’s his daughters seventh birthday you'd think he'd be here by now." I said glancing around the room.

"I know." Joe said glancing at me. "I'll go call him."

I watched him leave the room pulling his phone out as he went. I turned my attention back to my daughter as she opened yet another present.

The last of Fay's friends left and I looked around the house. There was a lot of cleaning to be done.

"We'll stay and help." Denise said smiling warmly at me.

"You don't have to." I said quickly.

"Nonsense." Denise said.

Fay, Lizzie, Kevin and Joe played with Fay's new toys while Denise, Shae, and I cleaned the house.

"I'm sorry, Hannah." Denise said after awhile.

"Why?" I asked. Shae smiled at me then left to clean up the kitchen.

"For Nick." Denise said sadly. "He said he was going to come."

I sighed. "I knew he wouldn't show."

"It shouldn’t be this way." Denise said. "He shouldn't be this way."

We cleaned the house, and Shae and Kevin had to leave to put Lizzie to bed. Denise had to go and pick Frankie up from his friend’s house.

"Bye Fay." Denise said hugging her tightly. "Uncle Frankie wanted to be here but couldn't make it."

"I know." Fay said hugging her grandma. "I love you both."

"We love you too sweet girl."

Fay dressed into her pajamas then we settled into the living room to watch a movie. I sat next to Joe so we could talk quietly to each other. Fay laid out on the love seat clutching the stuff animal Nick had sent her.

"He never called back." Joe whispered to me.

"I know."

"He's just going through a phase." Joe said firmly.

"Well he's been going through this faze for years." I said rolling my eyes. "He's not going to change anytime soon. I just never thought this would happen."

"Its that whore's fault."

"Probably." I agreed.

As the movie ended Joe took a sleeping Fay up to her room. I waited in my room for Joe.

Joe entered my room turning the lock as he shut the door.

"I've missed you." He whispered as he wrapped an arm around my waist.

"Really?" I asked kissing his neck.

"Yes." Joe said before his lips blanketed mine.

It had been a while since Joe and I had been together like this. I knew if we were together on a regular basis feelings would mess everything up; so we kept like this, random moments of weakness when we needed each other. Joe still loved me I could tell; he hadn’t had a girlfriend in years and hardly ever went on dates. I still had feelings for him too but I didn’t want to go down that road again. I didn’t know if our friendship could handle another break up.

I laid with my head on Joe’s chest his heart beating under my ear. He rubbed my bare back and hummed a song under his breath.

“I love you.” I whispered.

Joe’s hand stopped moving down my back. “What?”

“I love you.” I repeated slightly louder.

“You love me?” Joe asked still unsure.

I sat up enough to look in Joe’s gorgeous brown eyes. “Yes I love you.”

Joe smiled up at me. “I love you too.”

“Will you be mine?” I asked.

“Of course.” Joe said breathlessly. “I could never say no to you.”

***
The next morning I took Fay to Denise and Kevin’s house for the day. She was going to be no doubt spoiled like crazy while she was with them since she had just turned seven.

“Be good.” I told her as she ran off to find her grandfather.

“What are you going to do today?” Denise asked as we walked onto the front porch.

“Joe and I are going to just hang out at my house.” I said with a small shrug.

“I knew it would only be a matter of time before the two of you got together.” Denise said with a smile.

“How did you know?” I asked a smile creeping onto my face.

“You two are so happy when you’re around each other and when you mentioned his name just now you smiled bigger then I have seen you smile in a long time.”

I didn’t respond to what she said instead I smiled bigger. “I better get going.”

“Bye Hannah.” Denise said as she walked back inside.

I drove back to my house where Joe was still sleeping. I snuck into my room as quietly as I could so I wouldn’t wake Joe, but my attempts were pointless since was already up. I kicked off my shoes and threw my bag on the floor next to the door.

“Hey.” He said as I climbed into the bed next to him.

“Hello.” I replied kissing him quickly.

“What do you want to do today?” Joe asked as we settled back against the pillows.

I sighed and turned my head into Joe’s shoulder. “I should go talk to Nick.”

“About what?” Joe asked.

“About the kind of father he is.” I said my annoyance evident.

“Alright let’s go.” Joe said as he got up from the bed.

I watched as he put on his clothes and walked into my bathroom.

“Uh who said you were coming with?” I asked.

“Someone has to be there so you don’t murder anyone.” Joe called from the bathroom. The sound of the sinking running and Joe’s humming could be heard from the open door.

“Joseph, I will not kill anyone.”

I pushed the covers off my body then swung my legs out and onto the floor. I walked across the soft carpet and stood in the door way of the bathroom.

“Hannah-bear, we both know you are capable of killing someone with that anger of yours.” Joe said around his tooth brush.

“Fine.” I said rolling my eyes.

“I don’t know why you choose to disagree with me I’m always right.” Joe smiled at me in his Joe Jonas way. “Are you ready?”

“Yep just waiting on you, pretty boy.”

Joe gasped and clutched his chest. “Hannah! How could you call me that?”

I just laughed and shook my head at him. “Come on you dork.”

It didn’t take long to drive to Nick’s house; it was only around the corner. I knew what I was going to say when I confronted him and I knew he wouldn’t like it. Joe kept talking about his new movie role; it was an action movie apparently.

“Wait you have to do what?” I asked realizing Joe had just said he was going to do his own stunts which involved jumping through fire and off a wall.

“I’ll be fine.” Joe said passively. “There will be professionals there.”

“Then maybe they should do it.”

“I want it to be real.” Joe said passionately. “This means I have to do all my own stunts.”

I parked in front of Nick’s way to big house. “Fine just don’t die.”

“That’s my Hannah-bear, always so optimistic.” Joe mumbled as we both exited my car.

We walked up the long drive way: Joe’s hand holding mine tightly. At the door we were greeted by a house keeper after we had rung the bell.

“Mr. Jonas should be in his study.” The women told us as she let us in.

“Thank you.” I said sending her a smile.

Joe and I knew where Nick was, the same place he always was. Joe knocked loudly on the door.

“Enter.” We heard from inside.

Joe glanced at me before he turned the door knob and pushed the door open. We entered cautiously into Nick’s study. Nick sat at a huge desk typing furiously at his keyboard.

He glanced up to see who was in his study and his typing faltered. “What are you two doing here?” He asked as his hands staled.

“We need to talk.” I said calmly.

“If this is about missing the party, I told you I might not make it.” Nick said right away.

“Nick, your daughter should come first.” I said disgusted in him. “You were never like this before.”

“Is this what it’s about then? Are you upset that I’m marrying Miley?” Nick asked his big ego rearing its ugly head.

“No. This is about you never making time for your daughter.” I said my anger rising.

“Look Hannah, not all of us get to sit at home all day doing nothing. Some of us have jobs and lives.”

Joe put a hand on my arm. “Don’t go there Nick.” Joe said as a warning.

“Oh you’re together again, congrats.” Nick rolled his eyes. He pushed his chair back and stood up. “I will call her tonight and make it up to her.”

“I don’t want this to happen all the time. Start making time for her or stay away.”

And with that I left the room, Joe close behind me. It was up to Nick now if he wanted to be there he’d be there if he doesn’t well then Fay doesn’t need him in her life anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
: )