Elle.

Waits at the window, wearing a face she keeps in a jar by the door.

It had been a little over a week since Reni had stopped by when I made the faithful call to her. My whole arm shook with nerves as I dialed in the number. A smooth voice answered and I recognized it to be Reni.

“I wasn’t expecting you to call so soon.” She sighed mid sentence and I could tell by her tone of voice she was rolling her eyes.

“I didn’t find any new information.” And that was very true. There wasn’t nothing on any of the search engines I used about a band called The Like. It was as if they didn’t really exist. “We need to meet.”

There were more sighs on Reni’s end before she mumbled. “When would be good for you?”

“Now.”

I tiptoed down the stairs to try and not wake a slumbering Ryan. After the visit with Reni and obvious feelings resurfacing, Ryan had gone back to his usually intoxicated self passing out on the couch every night.

The task ahead of me was risky to say the least. Sneaking out of the house and taking my dad’s car was not something I did often so I wasn’t very skilled. The only time I had snuck out it back fired on me.

Reni and I agreed to see each other at a coffee shop down the street from her house. I knew where it was due to the fact I had passed by it many times on my way to school.

I pulled into the practically deserted parking lot and parked. There was a white Mustang car is the spot next to me with a license plate that said ‘Reni’ next to me. I was pleased that she didn’t bail on me.

The inside of the coffee shop had a very calm mood and I was glad this would be the environment for our conversation. Reni was seated at a small table in a corner and already had a cup of coffee in her hands. She was looking out of the window as if she was deep in thought. I slowly walked up to her to try and not startled her.

“I’m glad you could make it. I have a lot of questions for you.” I sat down in the seat across from her and mustered the best smile I could.

“Well I hope I can answer them.” Reni was perplexed as she looked at me with almost sad eyes.

“Why couldn’t I find any information about your band?”

“It was over long ago. We were never very popular so the news probably just passed by.” Reni crossed her legs and laid her left hand on her right knee. Then I noticed a sparkling diamond ring on her finger.

“You’re married?” Somehow my mind drifted to who her partner was. Reni gave me a queasy look but answered anyway.

“Engaged actually, for about two weeks today.” Her facial features softened into a smile as she twisted the ring around her finger.

“To whom?”

“Why am I getting the third degree? I thought you wanted to know about your mom.” Reni shifted on her stool and planted both feet on the ground.

I blinked my eyes a few times then mimicked her moves. Not sure why I was even curious about Reni’s personal life I moved on to questions about my mother.

“What was her name?” The coffee I order long ago was now mildly cold but I still took a sip to help clear my throat.

Reni exhaled through her nostrils and pursed her lips. “I’m not supposed to tell you that.” I shot her a look and she mumbled. “Your father would kill me.”

“I don’t care what Ryan thinks! It isn’t fair that he is keeping my mother away from me! This has to be some law that he is breaking.” I rolled my eyes once I finished my little rant.

“She went by Z.” Reni’s voice was barely above a whisper and I hears were downcast but I still heard her.

“As in the letter of the alphabet?” I was puzzled but still hopeful for at least knowing something about her.

“Yes, it was sort of like a nickname.”

“Was? Does she not go by it anymore?” Something didn’t seem right in her choice of words and I needed to know as much as possible if I was to ever find her.

“Look Elle, I’m trying to tell you as much as I’m allowed too. If he ever finds out…” She trailed off and looked back out of the window.

“Can you at least tell me what she’s like?” I folded my hands in my lap and looked down. I wasn’t getting the answers I wanted.

“You’re a lot like her. Very smart and beautiful, though stubborn and sarcastic.” Even that response wasn’t clear enough for me to even slightly feel like I knew my mom.

“Do you know where she is?” I asked timidly, certain I wouldn’t get valid reply.

At this moment I’m not sure if I was unlucky or Reni was lucky (I’m sure it’s both though.) but my cell phone began to ring in the very bottom pit of my purse. The neutral Fall out Boy ringtone chimed away as I answered without thinking to check and see who the caller was.

“Eleanor Rigby Ross, get your ass home now.” The very gruff voice on the phone scared me until I realized in was only Ryan.

“Yes, daddy.” I closed my phone and stood up. “I’ll be in contact with you later.”

I then made the long ride home anticipating how bad my punishment would be.
♠ ♠ ♠
-diesssss-
THIS IS TERRIBLE.
Filler XP
But in a way needed I guess? I don't know....let me know what you think, please please please?
I've had major writer's block so if this seems forced...it is.
What Elle wore to go see Reni. Love this sweater. :)