Elle.

I've seen sinking ships go down with more grace than you.

The following week was dreary having to be away from Jude since his sisters had returned to school. Even Ryan was making my life less enjoyable. Towards the end of the week I was putting away his folded laundry and found a simple jewelry box hidden away under old newspapers. Nothing stood out except a diamond ring and a pocket watch. When I came into the kitchen for breakfast wearing the watch around my neck Ryan nearly yanked it off.

“Where did you get that, Elle!” He dropped his fork full of eggs and maneuvered around the counter to hold the time piece in his hand.

“I found it in your jewelry box.” I got the feeling again of getting smaller with his words.

“Do you know whose watch that is?” Ryan raised an eyebrow and continued. “It was your grandfather’s! Do you know how valuable this is to me?”

I shook my head and undid the clasp around my neck. “Here, I don’t have to wear it.”

Ryan pushed it away with his hand, “No, he would probably want you to have it, instead of me hiding it away under newspapers and such.”

I gave him a bizarre look and walked out of the door without even eating. The school served decent enough food without the 3rd degree.

-

At lunch time while I was practically eye raping Jude from across the room while McKenzie rattled away about how happy she was in Biology class today.

“Well you remember how Avery and I became lab partners? I found out he isn’t mad at me!” She let out a big gust of breath showing that she was relieved. “The message didn’t go through, but Lucy did still tell him about it.” She shrugged her shoulders. “He said I was gutsy.” She beamed a small, personal smile but I still caught it.

“So you still have a chance! That’s good, Kenz.” She looked up with radiant enthusiasm and a look that said, “You think so?” just as the bell rang.

We walked down the halls together laughing at some random nonsense. I turned into the Biology room and said goodbye to McKenzie and hello to Mrs. Greenwell.

“I’m sorry Elle, but your new lab partner, Ms. Shaver, is absent today. You’ll have to work with Tyler.” My stomach dropped as I looked over at the lab stations and saw Ty’s slimy smirk. “It’s just for today. I know you two don’t get along well but just try to grin and bare it please?”

I took a deep breath and walked over to the stool beside him. My bag was flung into the floor once I sat down and faced the white board.

“So, Elle…we never reschedule our date.” I hadn’t realized how close Ty had gotten to me until I felt his hand travel up my thigh.

I immediately slapped it away with a gasp and turned to look at him. “I have a boyfriend, thank you!” He snarled his nose and turned to face forwards and mumbled something incoherent.

When class time grew nearer more kids began to flow in and when Lizzie saw us she screeched “I thought I told you. Stay away from him!”

I rolled my eyes and Ty spoke up. “Shut up Liz, no one rang your bell.” That seemed to be the highlight of my biology class considering after wards I had to actually work on a small project with Ty.
Once class was over and I was able to escape from Ty I literally skipped through the crowded halls to Calculus without even stopping to get my books.

Jude smiled from the back of the classroom where we sat every day. “I’m glad to see your so chipper.”

“And why is that?” I asked and grinned back at him.

“Well I saw some girls hanging a poster for a Black and White Ball and instantly thought of you.” He stopped and pulled out a piece of paper that mimicked the poster in the halls. “I was wondering if you would like to go…as a couple.”

My facial features softened at the idea, it would be nice to finally go public and stop sneaking around his family but there were so many consequences to consider. “And risk Arabella seeing us?”

He leaned back in his chair with a confident smirk. “I have a plan for her.”

“Which is?” I mumbled through a laugh at his pose.

“I haven’t figured it out yet, but hey! We could say “Screw her!” and just be happy. What do you say Elle?”

His sparkly smile swayed my opinion greatly when I said “Guess I need to go dress shopping.”

-

When I got home I was immensely tired. I threw the car keys on the coffee table and carefully laid my dress in its garment bag on the couch before hollering out Ryan’s name. I searched up and down the halls to see that he wasn’t there. What I did find was a note on the counter reading “AA meeting, be back soon.”

I sighed and plopped down on the couch next to my dress considering taking a nap until our answering machine beeped. I looked at the confusing machine to see that there was one new message. I hit play and listened closely to the voice coming out.

“Elle, it’s Reni, We need to meet again soon. There are some things I want to tell you now that I think you’re ready to hear. Call me back when you can so we can get together. Goodbye.”

I stared at the blank ceiling reflecting it in my mood. She seemed serious but I wasn’t quite ready to deal with the drama I could tell she was going to dish so I kicked off my flats and closed my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
So uh kind sorta uneventful chapter, I'm really sorry....
BUT!!! it is soooo about to pick up again I PROMISE :D
And no you don't get to see Elle's dress yet. ALL IN GOOD TIME :tehe:
Oh and did you guys get on email for the last chapter? :( I had no comments :shifty
And I hate to say that because I should greedy or whatever but it worries me that no one know when I update D: Anyways....

Elle's outfit complete with pocket watch. :)