Heaven Help Us

1/1

“Just go! Leave me here!” I yelled at their terrified faces. Ashes were falling from the sky, dancing like dirty snowflakes. The ground shook with explosions, jarring our very bones. Buildings were collapsing all around us, like dominoes.

“No, Gee! If we go, we go together!” My brother screamed back, tears flowing unchallenged down his face, carving their way through the dried blood. A high-pitched shriek filled the air and was cut short by another explosion. Bob ducked as debris flew just inches from his head. His piercing blue eyes were filled with utter fear.

“Gerard, please. Let’s get outta here. There are only a few more shelters left. We need to get underground.” Bob pleaded. I shook my head fiercely.

“No.”

“It’s pointless. He’s de-”

“No!” I interrupted him. “Don’t say it!” I looked down at the broken body cradled in my arms. “He’s gonna be alright. He’ll be fine, you’ll see.” A faint roar became louder as we saw an airplane crash and explode, not very far from us.

Hear the sound, the angels come screaming.

Flying metal whipped past us, cutting my cheek deeply. That was the least of my worries. We looked to the sky, the violent bright orange and red sky, the sky of Armageddon. This was the end of the world.

“Mikey, you need to go.” I pleaded with my brother. I looked to Ray and Bob. “It’s getting closer, guys. You need to seek shelter. We’ll be fine.”

Ray nodded, heaving himself up, and then helping Bob. I hugged them each tightly, knowing somewhere in my subconscious, we’d never meet again. “The two best friends any guy could ask for. I love you both.” I had never seen Ray cry before, it was a touching sight.

“We love you, man.” Ray helped Mikey up. The rubble in which we stood was becoming increasingly unstable. Mikey, my baby brother, my closest companion. I clapped a hand on his shoulder.

“Be strong, Mikes.” I smiled through my tears. He began sobbing hysterically.

“I can’t, Gee. Not this time.” He embraced me with a force that left me gasping for breath.

Make your choice…

“Yes, you must. You gotta be strong for Bob and Ray. Especially Ray.” Ray had broken down crying onto Bob’s shoulder. A metallic sound emitted from above us. We all looked up to see the twisted metal of a skyscraper hurtling towards us.

Heaven help us now…

“MIKEY! GO!” I shoved him as he held a hand out to me. I picked up the motionless body that was on the ground next to us. I leapt from the pile of rubble, landing awkwardly on a stair, twisting my ankle. The metal landed with a resounding screech of metal on rock. I heard the muffled shouts of Mikey, Ray, and Bob. I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding. They were safe, for now.

My foot was twisted grotesquely backwards. I was surprised I wasn’t feeling pain. I clung to body I was carrying around. I held him tenderly, like a mother holds her baby. I pushed his raven feather hair away from his forehead. His bottomless mossy green eyes were shut. He had an enormous gash across his chest from broken glass. I knew he didn’t have much longer. His heartbeat was becoming fainter each minute. I looked up the steps and noticed I was on the staircase of a non-damaged church. I pulled myself up the stairs, spitting blood from my deep cheek wound. Once I reached the doors, I pounded three times and shouted: “Someone save us!” About two minutes later, a small priest opened the doors.

“Sir, please, help me. Help us.” I pleaded. He smiled at me, not saying a word.

“The time for aid has passed. It’s now time for the world to receive its Last Rites.” He lifted his gaze towards heaven. “Come son, you need to ask for forgiveness.”

“You don’t know a thing about my sins.” I spat at him. He made the sign of the cross whilst muttering something. He bowed his head and retreated back into the church. I rolled over to my back, the pain of my injuries finally taking hold. The pain was so immense. I must have forgot how to breathe, because everything went back and silent.

“Gerard?” A tired voice whispered. I saw a blinding white light explode into my field of vision. The body that was lying beside me, was now standing, and holding its hand out to me. A small grin formed on his face. “Let’s go home.” I took his hand as he lifted me up. His eyes had their normal vibrancy, though dark shadows surrounded them.

“Where are we going, Frankie?” I asked. He shrugged.

“Heaven, I guess.” We continued walking towards the light, hand in hand.

“Don’t you think it might be full of, you know, homophobes?” I rubbed the back of my head, noticing a gash that I had acquired had disappeared. He laughed and ran full speed ahead.

“Heaven help us…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy!