Status: just started.

John Deere Green

Pick-up Trucks And Mascots

I woke up early the morning I started school. I put on a pair of dark jeans and a simple yellow top. I tried to dress down a bit from what I usually wore to school back home.

I finished my make up and glanced around my messy room. Cardboard boxes were piled up around my bed, still packed up. Clothes were piled on my chair and hanging in the closet, while my shoes were scattered all over my floor.

The room still had the girly theme I didn't like, I was going to paint this weekend.

I sighed and grabbed my bag heading downstairs, away from my disastrous bedroom.

"Good morning sweetie!" My dad chirped from the kitchen table. (Yes, our furniture had arrived!)

"Hi, dad." I said tonelessly.

"Tired are we?" He chuckled.

I just nodded and drank some orange juice.

"Well I'm going to leave..." I said turning towards the door.

"Oh need a lift?" He ask setting his coffee mug down.

"No, I'll walk." I said glancing outside. It was going to be a hot day, I could tell because the sun was already up.

As I marched down my driveway I saw something swaying back and forth through the air.

What the heck?

I squinted against the grey/blue sky as a cowboy hat came into focus.

I followed the arm that was holding the hat, down to Lucas' cute face.

"Hey! Need a lift?" He yelled from across the street, as he lowered his hat back onto his head.

"Uh, okay." I said shrugging and crossing the road to his yard.

"I was tryin' to get your attention," He laughed as I climbed into his truck. "But you were looking away."

I smiled turning and looking out at the road. Houses that resembled mine lined the long dirt road. Some had barns and large fields, other were just big property.

We turned onto the worn paved road and drove a short distance before I could see the school come into view.

"Whoa," I breathed my eyes widening. "I didn't expect it to be so big." I told Lucas.

His laugh filled the truck causing my heart to skip a beat. "Well, our town plus two others all come here." He explained.

I nodded looking at all the trucks and jeeps that were parked on the lot.

Kids milled around chatting with each other and leaning on vehicles. Friends laughed and compared classes. I counted about 40 cowboy hats, but then gave up.

Well, this was different.

Lucas pulled into a space next to another truck and turn off the engine. "Ready?" He asked grinning.

"No, but do I have a choice?" I giggle opening my door and sliding out.

I followed Lucas to a group of kids standing near the steps of the school.

"Hey y'all!" Lucas shouted at them. They all waved and smiled at him, and I got a few confused looks.

"This is Amelia." Lucas said pulled me up next to him.

I smiled an waved at everyone. "Call me Mel."

"Hi Mel!" A girl with curly black hair chirped. "I'm Selena."

"Hey Selena." I grinned.

"I can show you to the office!" She suggested coming and taking my arm.

Lucas let go and waved as Selena dragged me inside the school.

"So how did you manage a ride to school with Lucas?" She asked her eyes wide.

"Well, he lives across the street." I said shrugging.

"Ooh, you're lucky." She winked.

"Oh?" I asked a little confused.

"Um hello!? He's the hottest thing ever! Plus, you're so his type." Selena smiled.

Wow did she ever frown? Or even just not smile? I nodded and smiled at her. I was going to like this girl.

"So, three questions! 'Cause we don't have time for twenty." She giggled. "Where are you from?"

"Maine." I said.

"Do you have any siblings?" She jumped right on to the next question.

"Nope, just me and my dad." I told her.

"Do you want to come to my party tonight?" Selena asked.

"Huh?"

She laughed, "Sorry, I just couldn't think of another question, and you seem nice!" She stopped walking.

"Sure," I stopped next to her.

"Office." She pointed to a door. "And come over at 7, a few other gals are getting ready at my house before the other people arrive!"

I nodded again, "Where do you live?"

"Six houses away from Lucas, it's easy to find. I'll find you at lunch though!" She said and turn off down the hall.

"'Kay." I said to the empty space she had been standing in seconds before. Wow that girl had too much energy.

My hand reached for the doorknob but before I could open the door it sprung open and I was almost trampled by a moose.

"Whoa!" I shouted staggering backwards.

"Oh sorry." A muffled voice came from behind the mascot's moose head.

He reached up and pulled the fuzzy head off his own, revealing shaggy brown hair and black rimmed glasses.

"Darren, school mascot." He stuck out his hoof.

"Amelia, new girl." I laughed and shook it awkwardly.

"Nice to meet you, but I must be going." He turned and jogged down the hall.

"Bye!" I called and finally headed in the office.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it took so long!
i have lots of homework now, but i tried to write a lot for you reader(s?)
thanks :) & comments mean so much to me...