Sequel: The Federation

Legion Of Rockstars

Dead End

+Jimmy+

“All clear.”

“All clear.”

“Nothing suspicious outside?”

“Nada. Not even a footprint out in the dirt.”

“Looks like this lead was a dead end,” Frank sighed, looking around at the three of us as we stood in the gas station. We’d all regrouped a few minutes previously, and no one had seen anything out of the ordinary. Asher still hadn’t made her way out of the bathrooms yet. Maybe she fell into one of the toilets or something. I looked towards the doors leading into the bathrooms, wondering whether she’d found something. If so, why hadn’t she called anyone to let them know?

Everyone seemed a little disappointed as they started to pack up. But the facts screamed at us: there weren’t any secret doors into a secret basement. There didn’t seem to be any sign that anyone had been at the gas station in years. Besides, the Jonas Brothers would probably have something a little more glamorous as their hide-out, not some dinky, worn-out, dirty gas station like this.

“Jimmy, do you know where Asher is?” Pete asked curiously.

“Yeah, she’s in the bathrooms,” I answered. “Hold on a sec; I’ll go get her.”

I strode quickly across the gas station, walking into the women’s bathroom. After searching carefully inside each stall, I deduced that she wasn’t in there. I crossed over to the men’s bathroom, knowing I’d find her in there somewhere. Maybe she’d found a passageway and forgot to alert us due to excitement about finding a passageway. If that was the case, she’d probably be scolded about not letting someone else know, but mostly congratulated for finding something like that. If it turned out to be her shirking her responsibilities—something I couldn’t see Asher doing—then she’d probably be admonished a little bit more and suspended from missions until she straightened up.

What I didn’t expect was to find her lying unconscious on the grimy tile.

“Asher,” I breathed, hurrying over to her. She lay on her stomach, with her feet closest to the door and both arms curled loosely around her head, obscuring part of it from view. Her foot twitched a bit as I walked towards her, but other than that she didn’t move.

Maybe someone sneaked up behind her and hit her on the back of the head with something. I crouched down next to her head and gently pulled one arm away from her head. I gasped at the thick band of black plastic stretching across her scalp, with the two big headphones on the ends. The poor girl had been attacked with Headphones, a strange but effective weapon of the Jonas Brothers’ invention. It could take down any LOR agent in seconds, even a trained one such as myself. Poor Asher hadn’t stood a chance.

Knowing there wasn’t time to lose, I grabbed the black plastic band and pulled the Headphones off of Asher’s ears. The music instantly blared out in the open, and it hurt my ears just listening to it. With a scowl, I grabbed each round headphone and broke the plastic band right in half. The music became a garbled mess before fading into silence.

Asher didn’t stir as I gently grabbed her shoulder and rolled her over onto her back. Her head flopped around on her lifeless neck, her cheek resting against the dirty, grimy tile. I slid my arms underneath her—one underneath her knees, the other underneath the curtain of her hair to her upper back—and straightened to my feet, lifting her easily from the floor. Her head flopped sideways against the crook of my elbow as I shifted her into a more stable position in my arms. One of her arms crossed over her stomach; the other dangled in the air below her.

“What happened to her?” Corey asked when I stepped outside. Everyone had moved out to the van as I’d grabbed Asher. I silently showed him the broken pieces of the Headphones. He made a face, probably one of pity for Asher, and led the way over to the van, whose back doors hung open for us to climb in.

“Headphones,” I said simply when Frank gave me an alarmed look as he saw me carrying Asher. I handed him the remains of the Jonas Brothers’ weapon, and he nodded as he examined them.

“We should get her back to headquarters, and quickly, so she can be treated before it’s too late,” Frank told me. I placed Asher gently on the metal floor of the van before climbing in after Corey. We shut the van doors, and the van lurched into motion, driving us away from the dead end gas station.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyya!

Sorry about the lack of updates. =}

Comments?