Northern Lights

nineteen.

Ava woke up in her dorm room, TJ Oshie at her side snoring lightly with his mouth hung slightly ajar. She laughed at how funny he looked and then carefully got out of bed. Her roommate wasn't sleeping in the bed across the room but it didn't surprise Ava. She was probably doing the walk of shame back to the building at that very moment.

Ava thought about going to get something to eat but decided she'd wait until TJ woke up, and until he did that she would occupy herself with a paper she needed to start writing. She wrote for about an hour, and when TJ showed no signs of waking up anytime soon she decided to wake him up herself. Ava shook him slowly and waited until his eyes fluttered open to crawl back into bed next to him. He smirked with his eyes shut and wrapped his big arms around her tiny waist.

"No," she murmured. "You have to get up. I'm hungry."

"Sleep," he groaned, putting his head in the crook of her neck. She giggled at the feel of his breath against her skin and pushed his chest lightly as she wriggled out of his grasp. She sat on her legs in front of him and ran her fingers through his fading blonde hair.

"Come on Teej," she begged. "I'm starved."

"I'm sleepy," he said, wrapping his arms around his pillow because he was no longer holding onto Ava.

"Teeeeej," she half whined. He groaned lowly and then sat up, looking down at her.

"You owe me," he smirked, pushing their foreheads together.

It was then Ava's roommate showed up, heels in her hand and make-up smeared on her face. Despite looking completely hung-over and tired she still managed to look up at Ava and TJ and say, "Uh, hi," and then toss her shoes under her desk.

"Hi," Ava said quickly as she hopped out of her bed so she could change into a different hoodie before going to breakfast with TJ.

TJ, who was shirtless, scrambled as she looked for his tee-shirt through a large pile of clothes at the end of Ava's bed. She took one look at the pile, grabbed TJ's shirt and threw it to him all while softly glaring at her roommate.

Ava's roommate began to undress despite the fact TJ was there. She really had no shame. Ava crossed her arms over her chest and stuck her hip out slightly.

"Uhm, Tess," Ava stuttered as her roommate pulled her shirt over her head, leaving her standing there in a barely there jean skirt and a lacey black bra. Ava stole a quick glance at TJ, who was giving her roommate the up and the down with a smirk spread across his face. Tess noticed and sent him a smirk back, before she placed her hands on her lips and set her sights to Ava.

"Yes?" She asked in a rather bitchy tone.

"Do you think you could...not do that here?" She asked slowly. Tess laughed lightly, winking at TJ and then shimming her skirt down to her ankles. Ava's eyes widened and she grabbed TJ's wrist hastily and tugged him out into the hallway, shutting the door behind them.

"Your roommate seems....nice," TJ smiled. Ava rolled her eyes and then groaned upon realizing she had left her phone in the room.

"Wait here," she instructed TJ before she ducked back into her room, finding Tess to be fully dressed this time.

"I didn't know you were fucking TJ Oshie," Tess said, titling her head to the side so she could brush her hair.

"I'm not," she corrected her.

Tess snorted, "Yeah, sure."

"I'm not fuc- doing that," Ava said, getting flustered. Tess noticed and laughed lightly, shaking her head from side to side and letting her perfect black hair twist and twirl around.

"Are you telling me you slept in the same bed as TJ Oshie, with him not wearing a shirt, and you wearing underwear like you usually do to bed, and he didn't do so much as feel you up?" Tess asked, unable to believe TJ was capable of something like that.

"Yes," Ava said sternly. "It's not like that with us. We just sleep next to each other," she said. "...And cuddle," she added softly. Tess let out a loud laugh at this statement. It was unfathomable for not only Tess, but anyone else who went to NoDak to believe something like that. TJ Oshie cuddling? Now that was comical.

But this is the TJ Ava knew. Of course she knew about that other side of him, she was with him too much to not know. But she also knew he was a teenage boy in college, and this sort of behavior was normal. She overlooked it for the most part because she knew TJ had a good heart underneath it all. However, she wasn't exactly okay with the choices he made, but she knew she was in no place to tell him otherwise.

"I'm sure Ava," Tess rolled her eyes. "When you're done with him, can I have a turn?" She smirked. Ava grimaced at her roommate, exhaling nosily as she grabbed her phone and exited the room once again. Once out in the hallway, TJ grabbed Ava's tiny hand in his giant paw and smiled down at the red head.

"What's the matter?" He asked, tucking a loose strand of her fiery hair behind her ear safely. Ava shook her head, looking down at the ground as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Nothing," she muttered. TJ took note of just how flustered Ava was, citing that her temper was dismal and the only other time he had ever see her mad was when he got into a fight and ended up in jail. TJ smiled softly at her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and pulling her into his side as they began to walk to the cafeteria.

"That's not the face of someone who has nothing wrong with them," TJ prodded. Last night she seemed fine, and because he assumed she had only woken shortly before he did he couldn't imagine what happened in that amount of time to get her so anxious. Unless it was something he did when he was drunk, or maybe it was her hot roommate; TJ's mind flooded with possibilities.

"It's just-" Ava began before pausing to gather her thoughts. TJ looked at her expectantly, hoping she would continue. Sighing deeply Ava stopped walking and leaned against the wall, only a few feet away from the cafeteria. TJ stopped as well, walking over to where she was standing and placing his hand above her head against the wall and leaning forward.

"It's just what?" He pressed on.

"Tess thought I was sleeping with you," she said softly, like she didn't want anyone to hear. Which was odd, most girls wouldn't deny rumors that had slept with TJ even if they never had. Ava was so timid in saying this though, it made TJ's heart warm if only slightly. "And I don't know. She started to get undressed and I saw the way you were looking at her. And I know you sleep with a lot of girls. And that's okay, that's what you do. It's whatever," she said, pausing to sigh and push her bangs out of her eyes. "I dunno, I guess I just know that I'm not like those girls. I'm not going to give it up that easily, ya know? But I wonder if people think that I do. Sometimes I wonder why you even hang around with me," she laughed lightly, shaking her head at the thought. She looked up into TJ's grey eyes that were sparkling with confusion.

"I hang out with you because you're not like those other girls. I don't treat them like I treat you because they're not worth it Av," he said softly. "If anything, I should wonder why you hang out with me," he stressed. "I'm just a hockey playing douche who gets wasted too much and sleeps with too many dumb girls."

A smirk crossed Ava's features, "I hang out with you cause you're like, TJ Oshie and you're so cute and so good at hockey," she said in a mocking tone. But TJ knew her words were said with a light heart and he chuckled, shaking his head softly and letting his hair fall into his eyes; he had lost his hat in last night’s craziness and so this morning it wasn't there to tame his growing locks.

"Shut up," TJ joked back. "I know you think more of me than that."

"Of course I do Timmy," Ava said seriously. "I wouldn't stick around if I didn't."

TJ grinned and pressed a kiss to the top of Ava's head before grabbing her tiny hand and tugging her towards the cafeteria for breakfast.
♠ ♠ ♠
merry christmas everyone! i hope you guys all have a wonderful day!
&also a happy belated birthday to tj.

comments for christmas sounds like a really good present :)
xoxo.