Northern Lights

six.

Ava Lawler was from Grand Forks North Dakota and the only reason she was able to get into UND was because she received a full scholarship.

Her father was a dead-beat who beat her and her mother. Her mother turned into a drunk and lost her job. She grew up on welfare and food stamps.

Her childhood wasn't a fairy tale and her teen years weren't any better. She was used because of how nice she was, girls were mean to her because of jealousy, and the only friends she had were boys. Despite everything that happened in Ava's life she still held her head high, because boys liked her because she didn't need to wear make-up to look good, because she shopped at the Salvation Army and thrift stores (not because it was hip, but because that was all she could afford) and still looked good, because she was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, because she got good grades and her teachers adored her.

She got into athletic training in High School and helped out a lot of the sports teams there. She applied only to NoDak and to a local community college because she couldn't afford anymore application fees. When she received her acceptance letter to UND she was overjoyed. She finally was able to leave her house behind. Even if she lived in the same town that she grew up in, she never had to step foot in her house ever again. And she never did.

She worked two jobs throughout college and maintained perfect grades. She also frequently helped out the hockey team and there she made some of her lifelong friends. Soon after TJ left to go play for the Blues in St. Louis, Ava discovered she could graduate early. Jonathan Toews then sent her a call saying the Blackhawks' athletic trainer had retired and he had recommended her for the job.

Never had the Blackhawks- or any other team in the NHL for that matter- hired a girl as young as Ava as an athletic trainer, but there was just something about her. It happened whenever someone met Ava really; she just had a certain air about her that made you want to trust everything she was saying. Her life had gone from a complete disaster to the best she could ask for all because she was determined to not end up like her parents.

Ava Lawler was a very simple girl, with a very complex past. However to TJ Oshie she was a complete mystery. From the time he met her he knew there was something different about her. She carried herself differently from most other college girls he knew, she studied a lot but still maintained a good social life. TJ and Ava became fast friends after they first met. Best friends even.

Seeing Ava again brought up so many emotions in TJ he wasn't even sure if what he was feeling was real. He never felt like he loved her back in college, so it took him by surprise when every time he looked at her now that he felt his heart swell and burst.

"Reservations under the name Lawler," Ava smiled at the young hostess at the restaurant.

"Right this way," she said, grabbing two menus and leading TJ and Ava towards the back of the building. Patrick and Jonathan were both sitting at the table already staring at their own menus. Ava took the seat next to Patrick and TJ took the one next to Jonathan. Patrick's eyes lit up when he saw Ava and they embraced.

"Good game tonight Kaner," she told him, ruffling his blonde curls. "Even though you kinda ate it towards the end," she joked.

"Hey now, even Gretzky had off days," he smiled.

"Are you really comparing yourself to him?" She mused.

"Who else would I compare myself too, honestly?"

TJ watched the pair with distaste. He didn't like the way Patrick looked at her, he didn't like the way Ava touched him, he didn't like the way they looked at each other; it put a bad taste in his mouth. The only reason he stopped glaring at the curly headed blonde was because Jonathan stepped on his foot. He glanced over at his old friend who was smirking.

"What?" TJ asked lowly, though he knew Patrick and Ava were paying little to no attention to what he had to say.

"Jealous?" Jonathan asked, still smirking.

"I don't get jealous."

Oh, TJ Oshie was such a liar.
♠ ♠ ♠
so this is short- but there might be another chapter out in about an hour or so.that's a big maybe though. but if not tonight, tomorrow.
you just needed some backround information on ava so you can understand her a little better. the next chapter will be a good one :)

xoxo.