Northern Lights

eight.

Dinner was hard for TJ to sit through for a few reasons. One, because he wanted to punch Patrick Kane in the face. Two, because he wanted to punch Patrick Kane in the face. And three, because he wanted to punch Patrick Kane in the face. It made him sick to his stomach to watch Patrick and Ava interact because he reminded him so much of him and her back in college. Except, maybe their relationship was better because Patrick seemed to really appreciate Ava and everything she did for him. Patrick was always showing interest in her and what she was saying, and Patrick didn't seem like he got drunk, fucked other girls, and puked all over the bathroom all too often. But maybe he was just being bitter and a little too specific.

Oh, it just made his blood boil watching him. TJ wished so badly the game was tomorrow rather than just before dinner because you better believe there would be a 5'10 curly headed blonde laying flat on his back in the middle of the United Center rink if things had been that way. People would never talk about Rick Nash again after TJ was done with Patrick on the ice.

"I'm so tired," Ava yawned, placing her head on Patrick's shoulder.

"I can bring you home if you want," Patrick suggested.

"No, I brought TJ here so I'm gonna bring him back," Ava smiled as she closed her eyes for a few seconds.

"Well me and Kaner will get the check and you guys can head out then," Jonathan suggested.

"No, Jon-" Ava tried.

"It's fine," Jon said, putting his hand up in the air to stop Ava's protests.

"At least let me pay my half," TJ said, grabbing at the small piece of paper.

"You won tonight, it's our treat," he smiled at his old friend.

"Thanks dude," TJ nodded.

"No problem man."

After saying their good-byes Ava and TJ left the restaurant and got back into Ava's car. While they waited for the car to warm up TJ looked over at Ava who was busy rubbing her tiny hands together to keep warm.

"So are you and Patrick together or something?" He asked outright. Ava smiled softly and shook her head.

"No, we're just friends," she told TJ. "Why do you ask?"

"You just...seem like you're together. I guess," he shrugged, not knowing what to say. Ava let a tiny laugh escape her pink lips.

"We're not," she assured him. "We're just close is all. He's one of my good friends out here."
TJ nodded and glanced back out the window of Ava's car. They drove in silence for a few more moments before Ava finally looked over at her old friend and sighed. "Is everything okay Timmy?" She asked him carefully.

After being with TJ almost every day (minus the summers and away games) for almost three years allowed Ava to really get to know him. She could tell when he was upset or angry without so much as talking to him. He did little things to tip her off, such as picking at his fingernails, something he seemed pretty preoccupied with as she drove him back to the hotel.

"Yeah, everything's fine," he nodded. "It's just..." TJ debated on whether or not he should lie to Ava about how he was feeling. He knew telling her he wanted to punch her friend wouldn't go over well, but he also knew there was a 98% chance she would be able to tell he was lying. "I'm tired and I still think this whole thing is so weird," he concluded. He found a way to tell the truth and lie at the same time. TJ was tired and he was still a bit wierded out, but that wasn't the reason he was being so quiet.

"Aw Teej," she frowned, placing her hand on his thigh for a moment before retracting it. "I know what you mean. It's so weird seeing you again. Not like it's a bad thing," Another smile to make TJ's heart pound against his chest a little harder. "I hope we can see each other more this season though," she added. "St. Louis isn't too far from Chicago. Maybe if we have a break or something I can come see you. Or maybe you can come here and visit for a few days."

"Yeah, that sounds nice," TJ nodded in agreement. "I miss you, you know," he added in a much softer tone.

"I miss you too Timmy," she told him. "I miss NoDak a lot sometimes and I never thought I'd actually miss North Dakota," she laughed lightly.

"Have you been back since you left?"

"No," she replied shortly. "I don't think I'll ever go back unless it's to see a game for the guys."

"I'd go with you if you ever went," TJ told her.

"Would you really?" She asked, her eyes lighting up. He nodded and smile grinned as she pulled into the parking lot to his hotel.

"Of course," he told her.

"We'll plan something then," she said.

"Okay," he smiled.

They both got out of the car and stood in front of the headlights. Ava wrapped her arms around her small frame to keep the harsh winter air from getting at her, but she stood no chance. TJ looked down at her already pink nose and her tiny frame shivering and his heart melted. He really had missed her. Without another second to spare he wrapped his big arms around her tiny body and pulled her close to him. Ava's body was immediately enveloped in warmth as TJ hugged her. She missed his hugs.

"I'm gonna miss you Timmy," she murmured into his chest.

"I'm gonna miss you too," he told her. "But we'll talk this time."

"You better call me Osh," she joked with him. TJ laughed lightly and held her closer, savoring the last few moments they had together.

"I promise," he said.

"I'll hold you to it," she smiled, pulling away from his embrace. TJ dropped his arms to his sides and Ava stood on her tip toes, pressing her cold lips to his cheek. "See you later Teej."

"See you later Av."
♠ ♠ ♠
so instead of updating jordan again like i said i would, i updated this. again. hahah. i fail.
i hope you guys don't mind another update! :)

xoxo.