Status: One shot; completed.

How Long I Can Wait

One / One.

My eyes were glued to the sky with my back lying against the grassy ground. Stars were sprawled all across the sky as they were twinkling brightly. My head turned to my right and found his beautiful face watching me.

“You should stop that habit of yours,” I told him.

“What habit?” he smiled.

“Offering me watching the stars but in the end you’re watching my face. I don’t like people watching me, I find it disturbing.”

“You’re pretty, Ellie, no wonder people stare at you.”

I blushed.

“Besides, you look way prettier underneath the stars, that’s why I offer you to go out every night.”

“Geez, Turman, I’m flattered.”

“I’m serious,” he laughed.

“There’s no way on earth you can think a girl from a small town like me pretty. You must’ve hit your head badly.”

“I’m serious. You are insanely pretty.”

I blushed even deeper, especially after noticing how serious he was through his eyes.

“How can you say those lines easily?” I muttered, looking away. “Every big city guys do that, huh?”

He chuckled. “Maybe.”

“Then stop saying that kind of line to a girl like me, and say it to another girl instead.”

“What do you mean a girl like you?”

I remained silent as I sat up with my knees near my chest and my hands on the ground.

The grass in his place shuffled. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to him, and then wrapped his other arm around me as I laid my head against his chest.

“Do you have to go back to Texas?” I asked.

I felt him nodding.

I sighed.

He hesitated for a moment. “Actually, Ellie…”

“Hm?”

“Would you like to move to Texas and live with me?”

I pulled away from him, far enough to only see his eyes.

“…What?”

“I don’t wanna stay away from you and you do know that I love you.”

“Caleb, I love you too, but I can’t leave everything I have in here.”

“I know, I know, I’m sorry for the rush. But I’ve been visiting this place every summer for more than 4 years now, and it’s all because I want to see your beautiful face,” he cupped my face with his hands.

“You can visit again next year.”

“Actually, no.” His face saddened. “My band got a record deal and we’re going to Warped next year.”

“Oh,” I looked down. “Congratulations,” I mumbled.

“That’s why, Ellie,” he lifted my chin with his thumb. “Move with me.”

“Caleb, I don’t know,” I sighed.

“Think about it first,” he said softly before pecking my lips. “I’m going back in three days. Does that give you enough time?”

I nodded. “I guess so…”

He smiled a little before pulling me into a hug and kissed the side of my head.

- - -

Caleb went to this small town for the whole summer 4 years ago, because his parents wanted to try something different for summer vacation.

We met on a hill which had become our favorite place now. I still remembered that he was playing his guitar and I was sketching him and the tree he was sitting underneath. The sight was beautiful so I couldn’t resist drawing the whole sight. He noticed my presence and just kept staring at me.

I didn’t know what to do, so I just kept drawing. I didn’t notice him sitting beside me until he spoke up.

“Is that me?” he asked, pointing at the person underneath the tree. I basically jumped in shock. He laughed.

I nodded shyly and continued drawing again, just to add the finishing touches. Adding finishing touches took time.

I didn’t realize he was still there next to me by the time I was done.

“Done?” he smiled. I melted inside as I nodded slowly. “May I see?” I nodded again and handed him my sketchbook. “Whoa,” he sighed. “You’ve got talent.” He went to different pages of my sketchbook to see every drawing I made. He was basically praising my ‘talent’ for drawing.

“You’re a really good artist, you know that?” he said as he returned my sketchbook.

I shook my head. “I don’t really show these to people,” I said.

He looked surprised. “What? Why not?”

I shrugged. “My parents don’t like the fact that I enjoy drawing more than I enjoy taking care of flowers.”

“Oh. So you’re the child of the florist?” I nodded. “No wonder you look pretty familiar to me. I’ve seen you couple of times in the flower shop.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Why would you be in a flower shop?”

“My mom likes flowers, and she loves the flowers from your family’s flower shop. She goes to the flower shop like, every 3 days. And sometimes I would accompany her buying flowers.”

I never realized a gingerhead in our flower shop. I rarely paid much attention to my surroundings; I loved getting lost in my own world.

The following day, I met the boy again on the hill. That day, we found out each other’s name and we basically spent the summer together. The next year, he came back with his family again and we hung out all the time. My mom told me that she found it weird seeing me hanging out with a boy, because I was a shy person.

I realized that I liked Caleb on mid July of the second year of his visit. We started dating before he went back to Texas.

The third year, Caleb went to the town alone. He said no one could come along with him because they were all busy with their own activities, and he wanted to see me badly. This was when I realized I was in love with him.

It took me only about 3 years to notice that I was in love with him, and him being in love with me.

I wanted to go to Texas with him because I didn’t want to stay away with him again; especially after knowing that his band got signed it would be harder for us to contact each other.

But I couldn’t leave what I had in here. I was born and raised in this small town, and I knew everyone in here. It would be hard for me to leave my ultra-comfort zone and make a new life in another place. Also that I was a shy person; it would be hard for me to adapt.

Three days… three days before he’ll be on his way home.

I didn’t need three days; I already knew what to do.

- - -

I was waiting for him on the hill we loved. A few moments later, I saw his ginger head jogging up to me.

“You’re leaving today,” I said. He nodded. “Caleb,… I can’t come with you.”

“…Why?”

I cracked a weak smile. “Having a distance doesn’t mean having a break-up. Last year, we survived with the distance. I know this time it’ll be harder because the distance between us increases, but I believe in you.”

He stared softly at me as he stroked my cheek with the back of his hand.

“Do you believe in me, Caleb?”

“Of course I do,” he whispered.

“Then distance won’t be a matter,” I smiled wider.

He smiled back as he leaned in.

“I love you Ellie Sanders,” he whispered.

I smiled as our lips touched.

I will always be waiting for you.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw.