When there's nobody left

unexpected relations

“Officer there’s no need to send someone. I’ll have Seth bring me home.” My voice was oddly composed for someone who just learned that her parents are dead. But that’s always how I was. I didn’t crack. I didn’t scream or sob. Silent tears were the only indication that everything was not as it seemed. My cheeks flushed as the hot salt water streamed down.
Suddenly, I felt claustrophobic. I needed to get out of the stuffy office. “Officer Owen? I’m going to go now. Thank you for telling me. Seth and I will meet you and your team or whoever I need to talk to at my house. Thank you for your service.” I smiled through my tears for some crazy unknown reason, making me look slightly like a serial killer. I was still trying to cope with the news. “They’re dead Larissa. I’m sorry.” “They’re dead. They’re dead. They’re dead.” It sounded in my head like a cd on repeat, only this was something I didn’t want to hear.
I hung up the phone before I heard him answer. I couldn’t hear it again. When I exited the office, Miss James saw my face and immediately came to hug me. “Don’t worry dear. I’ll send notes to all your teachers to excuse you and Mr. Watson from your classes.” She knew me well enough to know that if I was crying, I would definitely need Seth with me.
“Okay. I’m going to go get Seth then he’ll take me home.” I told her, my voice thick with tears.
She just nodded as I rushed through the door and into the hall. I sped past my locker, throwing all my stuff into it and slamming it closed. When I arrived at Seth’s English class, I burst in.
The moment I opened the door, every head in the class swerved towards me. Some gasped, others just had wide eyes as they took me in. My eyes were pink and poofy and my nose was bright red. The tears that were narrow rivulets down my cheeks and dripping off my cheeks had smudged my eyeliner and mascara, which was now all over my face.
“I need Seth Watson! Please.” He immediately stood up just as the teacher’s phone rang. The teacher made a few “”Mm Hmmm’s” and “Okay then’s” before he hung up and looked at Seth and me.
“You are free to go Mr. Watson. Take good care of her.” I knew I loved this teacher for a reason. He had always been like a distant uncle to me. We just kind of clicked as students and teachers sometimes do. It’s been that way since freshman year.
Seth thanked him and nodded his head as the teacher whispered something in his ear. He grabbed his stuff and my hand on the way out.
“Rissa. Rissa shhh. It’s ok sweetie, its okay.” When we got out into the hall and the door closed, I collapsed on him, my tears staining his favorite Cobra Starship shirt.
“Come on baby, let’s go get your stuff. Mine is still in my car so we only have to make one stop.” I nodded and followed him as he gathered my stuff and lead me to his car.
Once we got to my house, Seth got out and opened my door, holding one hand out to me. I just sat there and stared at my home, ignoring the hand as he waited for me to take it. Last time I had been in that house, I had had parents. Last time, everything had been different.
I slowly stepped out of the car, using Seth’s arm as a support. “Sethie? Do you know why I’m crying or why we’re at my house?” I didn’t know if he had been informed when I was zoned out and if he didn’t know yet, I had to tell him.
“Yes baby, I know. Mr. Stevens told me. When I was gathering my stuff he whispered it in my ear. Nobody else knows.” He whispered softly to me, grabbing me in his arms and holding me upright, knowing that if he didn’t, I would fall to my knees and probably never get up.
“Sethie? I’m scared.” I whimpered like a small child as my best friend held me tight. “Shushh baby, I’m here, I’m not leaving you. I’m here.” He cooed to me, rocking slightly as we stood outside my house.

“Miss Brooks? Mr. Watson? Please come inside. There’s much we need to discuss.” I recognized the voice as that from the man on the phone and moved my face out of the crook of Seth’s neck. The man had dark curly hair and a strong physique. He looked to be about twenty. His arms bulged with muscle and his face was kind.
“Miss Brooks? Please follow me.” Officer Owens instructed.
Seth towed me to the house seeing as I could barley walk, let alone talk, at a time like this. We entered my house to see about five police officers, one lawyer and a man in baggy jeans and a band tee who looked to be fresh out of college.
As we walked in, everyone quieted and stopped what they were doing. The five officers stopped talking about the accident, the lawyer put down his manila folder and the guy sitting on my dad’s favorite chair just looked at me, indecisive and unsure. They all turned their gaze towards me, as if expecting me to make an announcement.
I looked up at Seth in panic, knowing he could read my face as well as I could read his.
“This is Larissa.” Seth said indicating me. “And I’m Seth.” He introduced us to the men whose eyes bore into me as I hid my face in Seth’s chest once again.
“Hello Larissa. I believe we spoke on the phone earlier.” Officer Owens stuck out his hand for me to shake. I simply clutched myself closer to Seth’s chest and looked at it.
“Rissa. Shake it.” Seth instructed gently as I gazed at the outstretched hand.
I slowly raised my own hand and set it in his as he did all the work, pumping our hands up and down three times before giving it back.
“Larissa? These are the officers on your parents’ case and this lawyer is handling their will. So far, everything is going to you. And this, this is your cousin. His name is Tyler and he just graduated from NYU Film. He was left custody of you. As you know, he is your only living relative.” Officer Owens informed me.
And in truth, I was expecting most of this. The only thing I didn’t know was that I had a cousin named Tyler. I didn’t know I had any cousins at all. My mom was an only child like me and my father had had one sister who had had one child. That family had died in a tragic car crash six years ago.
“I-I have a cousin? I have a cousin?” I was confused. All my family was dead. This man was not related to me, or any of my family. He was an imposter.
“N-n-n No! I don’t have anyone! They all abandoned me! Th-they left! I’m alone here. They’re all gone. They’re all g-gone.” I sobbed into Seth’s chest, unsure if any of them could understand my hysterics or if I was just blubbering incomprehensibly.
“Miss Brooks?” Officer Owens tried to direct my attention by clearing his throat.
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter 2! thanx for reading! i love you guys! BTW IF ANYONE WANTS A CHARACTER then let me know! il find some way to write you in! llove you! xxx.c