Skateboards And Popsicles

Skateboards and Popsicles

“You did what Brendon?” I was staring with an alarmed look plastered on my face. This boy was fucking crazy. He just went out and bought a skateboard. He can barely manage to ride a bike without crashing into the nearest light post and he thinks he can ride a skateboard?

“I said I bought a skateboard,” clarified Brendon slowly, as if I actually didn’t get what he was saying. He had an almost evil grin on his face.

“But why?” I managed to spit out. I know I shouldn’t have been as dumbfounded as I was seeing as this was typical Brendon. All the same, he bought a fucking skateboard. Does he even know how it works?

“What’s wrong with your face, Ryan?” challenged Brendon. He was smirking. That bastard. I wasn’t going to let him win this. He did this on purpose.

“Nothing is wrong with my fucking face Brendon! I’m just taking this all in. I’m letting it set it,” I snapped. My first mistake.

“What’s wrong with you? All I did was go out and purchase a skateboard. You’re acting liked I waltzed in here and informed you that I burned down the police station. All I did was spend twenty-five bucks on a cheap skateboard. I didn’t realize this minute event in my life would affect your life ever-so much.” He was yelling. My heart was racing.

“Minute? This is not at all minute. This is big Bren. A skateboard? A skateboard? You’re going to kill yourself on that thing! You can’t even ride a freakin’ bicycle Brendon. What would possibly give you the brilliant idea to buy this?” I knew I was being ridiculous. I just couldn’t stop myself. I was all worked up. But mostly, I didn’t want to swallow my pride and admit I was being stupid. Not to Brendon, at least. My second mistake.

“You’re being annoying Ryan. You must be PMSing. I’m not going to listen to you right now because you’re pissy about something and I don’t particularly want to deal with it. All I did was tell you I bought a skate-”

“Don’t fucking say it!” I shouted.

“Whatever.” And he’s just standing there with a hand on his hip, staring at me. “I’m going to find a popsicle.” With that, he walked off leaving me standing there alone in the doorway of my house. It’s not long before I hear him rummaging through my freezer in search of a popsicle.

“Godammit Brendon!” I call, all the while stomping my foot. “You ate all of the popsicles last week.”

***

I find myself at the grocery store, in the frozen food isle trying to remember what Brendon’s favourite popsicles are. I’m getting cold and I try to bitch that I forgot a sweater. It’s my fault, after all and bitching to myself about myself out loud, in public would get me sent to the asylum. I wish I hadn’t broken down like I had, but even I have trouble resisting Brendon’s pout. I can’t help it. (Mistake number three.)

***

As soon as I pull up into the driveway I can sense that something is wrong. I sigh as I push up my sunglasses and grab the popsicles.

I can’t say I’m surprised when I walk into my backyard to see Brendon sprawled out on the pavement below my deck, moaning and groaning in pain. I hold back an “I told you so” only because he looks so pitiful. “Bren?”

“Yeah…” he groans and I know that he’s exaggerating.

I don’t say anything to just set my things down and make my way down to help him. I sit down next to him and it doesn’t take very long for him to cuddle into my side. I welcome his warmth. I’ve missed this.

“I’m sorry I yelled at you,” I whispered.

“I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you,” he mumbled back.

“Don’t be,” I say, turning to kiss his forehead. He snuggles into my side even more and I smile even wider.

“So, what exactly did you do?” I pry. I couldn’t help it.

“You see, I was doing pretty good on the pavement. So I decided to try going down the stairs and –” he starts to explain, and I can’t help but laugh. It came out more a muffled giggle though. He poked me, but the smile on his face was obvious. “Anyway, it didn’t work and I fell and landed on my face. It hurt.” He looked up at me with the big eyes and his lips jutted out in a pout.

“Is ‘ittle Brenny still in pain,” I ask in my best baby voice. I feel him nod into my side. I can just see the pout on his face in my mind.

I kiss the side of his head before getting up off the concrete. “Come on,” I say and offer him a hand. He immediately takes it and I help him get up. He doesn’t give me my hand back. I smile.

Through all this, I had forgotten about the popsicles. “I know what will make ‘ittle Brenny feel better.” I reveal the popsicles and suddenly feel a wet, slobbery kiss on the side of my face. I giggle.

Not long after both of us are sitting there on my deck, sucking on our popsicles. Brendon’s on his second one seeing as he fucking inhaled the first one. I’m still working on my first. I forgot how much I loved popsicles.

“Hey Ryan?”

“Yeah Bren?” I turn to him.

“I love you, Ry. You know that right?” he asks.

I smile and pull him to my side. “Of course I know. I love you too. You know that, right?” I return the question.

His lips meet mine in a brief, yet sweet and loving kiss.

“You taste like orange,” he giggles.

***

“Hey Bren,” I call a little later. “I have a idea.” He looks at my, with a questioning look dancing across his face.

“How about we go out and buy me a skateboard…”

There were no mistakes here.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this about a year ago. It was originally posted on LiveJournal. I've just now decided to post it here.