‹ Prequel: Love Bites
Sequel: Everlasting Love

Second Chances

Chapter 13

I stretched my body under the bed covers; my arms searched for Jasper and when I didn’t feel his body anywhere on the bed, my eyes snapped open and I bolted into a sitting position. I signed in relief as I my eyes found him sitting on the back on his couch; he smiled at my worried expression so I playfully glared at him, I climbed off his bed and walked towards him.

“Why are you sitting over here?” I asked rubbing my eyes; I stood in between his legs as his hands found my hips.

“I was making you cold and I needed to talk to my family” Jasper explained quietly to me; I nodded my head understanding.

“What time is it?” I asked placing my hands on his cold hard chest.

“2:00 in the afternoon” Jasper replied like it was nothing.

“2:00 PM! Why did you let me sleep for so long?” I slapped his chest, not that he would feel it.

“You needed your sleep love. Beside I like watching you sleep, it’s interesting” Jasper smiled his dazzling smile when he said the last part.

“Yeah a human is interesting” I said rolling my eyes making Jasper to chuckle softly.

“I’m going to have a shower ok?” I asked Jasper who just nodded. I walked into the bathroom to see that Alice had filled the cupboards with different scented soaps, shampoo and conditioner; I found a scent that I really liked and hopped into the shower. When I dried off I changed into clean clothes; then I started on my make up and hair, when I was finished I placed everything I had used back in its spot and walked downstairs.

I smelt a delicious smell coming from the kitchen so I headed straight there; Esme and Carlisle were flitting around the kitchen making me a whole meal, Jasper was standing behind the kitchen counter watching them.

“Afternoon” I greeted them cheerfully.

“Good afternoon sweetheart. Did you sleep well?” Esme asked in her motherly tone.

“Yes thank you” I smiled at her; Jasper wrapped an arm around my waist as I stood next to him.

“Alex, I was wondering if you are able to tell about the wolves?” Carlisle asked me.

“Um a little bit” I said a bit unsure; Sam had ordered me, like the pack, too not tell anyone some things about them.

“Why are there so many of them?” Carlisle asked stopping his cooking all together; Esme took over for her husband.

“Because you came back, twice. Sam thinks that the more vampires near us means that more wolves are going to phase” I explained.

“I take it that Sam was the first to transform. Who came after that?” Carlisle asked me.

“Yeah Sam was first; then it was Jared, Paul, Embry, um… then Jacob, Quil, Leah, her younger brother Seth, Colin and Brady” I listed through all my family.

“Leah? There’s a female werewolf?” Carlisle asked surprised.

“Yeah she surprised everyone. She and her brother Seth transformed right after their… um… their father’s death” I struggled to finish my sentence; it still hurt to think of Harry Clearwater. Esme placed a plate with a chicken burger and chips in front of me; I thanked her and walked over to the dining table, Jasper sat next to me with his arm over the back of my chair, while Carlisle and Esme sat across from us.

Carlisle continued to ask me questions about the wolves and I answered them the best I could; some were hard to answer because of Sam’s order but Carlisle understood that.

“If you don’t mind me asking but what’s it like when the wolves phase?” Carlisle asked softly.

“Um… it’s… at first it was extremely weird but once you get used to it, it’s nothing. Jacob was the first one to phase in front of me; it was actually his first phase too, it was a massive shock and I actually fainted. Their whole body shakes and trembles; it happens so quickly, they lean forward and their body changes in a flash and then their fur pops out” I tried to explained the phasing as best as I could.

After a few more hours it’s time to get to the clearing again; Jasper ran with his family while I’m on his back. I slid off his back and start to run across the clearing; I can sense that the pack are waiting for us, I smile as Jacob, Quil and Embry walk out of the forest. I hug them as tight as my small arms could; I decided that I would sit with my brothers this time around, I looked over to Jasper who didn’t seem to happy that I was near the wolves but he nodded his head once to let me know that he understands. Emmett and Jasper started to play fight as I laid down on Embry’s back; Jacob sat in the middle and Quil was also sitting but he kept twitching with excitement, he wanted to join in Emmett and Jasper’s mock fight.

I watched as Jacob trotted over to Edward and Bella; Jacob kept Bella company while Edward helped Jasper and Emmett, tonight Jasper wanted to work on an uneven fight which just made me more worried and more scared. What if the newborns ganged up on Jasper or Jacob or any of my family? Watching Jasper, Emmett and Edward practice fighting was like a car crash; you wanted to look away but you couldn’t, I think Embry noticed my feelings because he gently placed the side of his head on top of mine.

“I’m fine” I signed stroking his gray fur; I heard a low whine coming from Embry, he didn’t believe me. I snuggled closer to Embry’s warm, soft fur; I was starting to get bored of watching my boyfriend fighting his family members so I decided I would start braid his fur, I heard a barking laugh coming from Quil when he saw what I was going.

“You’re next Quil” I giggled looking over to him; his laughter stopped immediately.