Desperate Hiding

Prologue

Image
Mr. Matthews looked though the lenses of his telescope. He crossed his fingers, hoping all his hard work payed off. Looking harder, he gasped in wonder. He found it! He found the formula to the man-made DNA. He frantically searched the room for his wife. She was out, shopping. Good. He grabbed his adopted daughter, Rachel.

"Time to have a little shot." He inserted the fluid in his baby's arm. She squealed a little, but made little fuss. He watched her face. She wrinkled her nose. OK, time to test it out. If his research was right, strong emotions caused it. With time she can control it better. He grabbed her hand roughly, and hit her leg. She started to cry. Too his disappointment, she remained normal. She wailed harder. He gently carried her, regretting hitting her. She calmed down, her wails into sniffles. He put her on the pullout couch and went up to get her twin brother, Nick.

Carrying him down, he smelled smoke... He rushed to the lab, and found his daughter, playing with flames. He gasped. Impossible. She was touching the fire without getting burned. She squealed and reached out to her father. His clothes started a small flame, even without her touching him. He swallowed hard. This wasn't working out the way he wanted. She should have the power of glowing, keeping herself warm in the winter, not causing things to burst into flames. He frowned and stomped out the small fire Rachel started.

He reached for the next fluid. If Rachel can cause things to have fire, can Nick cause himself to react to something? He filled a shot with fluid Z. He stuck the shot in Nick's arm. Nick was screaming in horror and pain. "Hush, it's fine." Mr. Matthews cradled the baby, cooing. Nick sighed in peace, and before Mr.Matthews's eyes, his baby boy disappeared. He can still feel the weight of Nick on his arms, but other then that, he was gone. Matthews gently rocked the baby and he reappeared again. Great. A flaming baby girl and a invisible baby boy. Mrs.Matthews is not going to be happy about this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it's so short, but this is just a short prologue telling you how did the kids have powers. The other Matthews aren't born yet.