I Miss the Light in Your Eyes

Chapter 15

We landed on the ground and hit our knees. I turned to face the ambulance truck which kept on going surprisingly. I laughed and Mikey layed back on the ground and was breathing pretty hard. I looked at him and pulled out an inhaler from his jacket. I handed it to him and he took a couple hits. "How did you know I had an inhaler in my pocket?" he asked, sitting up and looking at me.

"Lucky guess," I said, looking away. Actually, I remember Mikey always had kept one in his pocket in case of emergencies. But that was when he was still my little brother. "You're just like I remember you being. Crazy and out there ... like you're still my little brother.." I said.

"What?" he asked, looking confused. I totally forgot that he was sitting there. I looked at him and gulped.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just talking out my ass," I said, standing up and reaching out my hand to help Mikey up. He grabbed it and he stood up. I then start heading toward the school for some reason. That's when I remember the man said he lost the coin I needed at the high school. I stopped for a moment and turned to see Mikey kicking a rock, looking a bit upset. I then got an idea. "Hey, you ever had the experience to have an older brother that wasn't for a show?" I called to him. He looked at me and shook his head. "Then come on! I'll give you that experience!" His face lit up and he ran over to me.

"Where are we going?" he asked as we headed toward the high school.

"To the high school. I got to get something. And it just happens to be there," I said, handing him a pair of sunglasses.

"What are these for?" he asked, putting them on.

"Well, if you're going to be going somewhere without security and all that good stuff, you can't go out in public without a disguise," I said taking off his jacket and giving him the extra one that was a bit small on me, but a perfect fit for him. He put it on and smiled. I laughed and took the jacket he originally had on and stuffed into a nearby mailbox. I gave him a quick grin. "Come on. Let's get to the school," I said as I took off running down the hill that was about four feet away.

"Hey!" he said laughing.

I stopped and turned to him and started singing, "Never again, and never again, they gave us two shots to the back of the head and we're all dead now!" and I took off running again. He laughed and chased after me.

-Mikey's POV-

I laughed at him for a moment and kept running after him, following whatever which way he went. I was beginning to feel like this guy was an actual older brother. I mean, a lot of the people I hang out with act like they're nice to me, but when I'm not around, I found out, they would say shit about me that wasn't true.

"Hey, Gerard! Wait up, man! What am I? A fucking dog?" I asked, joking.

"If you were a dog, I'd be carrying you. But the fact that you're probably a bit heavier than a dog, I'd rather have you run," he said, giving me a quick grin and walking into a corner store.

"Hey, Gee, how's it going?" the clerk asked him.

"Alright I guess. Just showing the new kid around town," he said, looking at me.

"Cool. They took out all the camera's around here and put them outside. So someone could steal something and no one would know," the guy said, laughing.

"Are you fucking serious?" Gerard said, looking amazed.

"Yeah," the guy said, nodding.

"Give me a damn pack of cigarettes then," Gerard said looking at the guy with a give-them-to-me-now look. The guy looked a bit uneasy but he did it anyway. "Yes! I've been dying for one for over twenty-four hours," he said as he paid the guy.

"Hey, if you get caught, you didn't get them from me," the guy said as he pointed at Gerard.

"Trust me, who would ever find out?" Gerard said, cocking an eyebrow and walking out. For some reason, I felt as if I heard someone saying those words before. But I couldn't recall where. Or who it was that said it. I shrugged it off and the two of us walked another mile or so before arriving in the school yard.

"So what do you need to get?" I asked shoving my hands in the pockets of the jacket he gave me.

"I really actually need to .. find something. So look around over in that area of the school yard and I'll look over on this side. If you find a goldish coin with a skull and crossbones on it, let me know. I'm desperate for that exact coin. No other coin will do," he said walking away toward the right of the sidewalk onto the grass. I was confused for a moment and wondered why he needed that coin, but the thought quickly passed as I walked into the left grassy area and started looking.