I Miss the Light in Your Eyes

Chapter 20

Frank and I immediately looked up. It was Bert. "Holy shit!" Frank said in a horrified whisper. "I'm dating that guy," he said, looking more horrified than he sounded.

"You never bothered to tell me you were dating Bert!" I scolded him in a whisper.

"I wasn't thinking. I really like you. Bert forced me to date him. I had no say whatsoever." I told Frank to lay low as I got up and walked over to Bert casually.

"Tell me why you forced Frank to date you," I demanded him. He looked at me and let out a little laugh.

"Why would I tell you?" he asked in a cocky tone.

"I have the right to know dipshit. Frank's my best friend. I want to know and I want to know now," I said, crossing my arms.

"If you really want to know .. I wanted someone to call my bitch. And Frank seemed like an easy target," Bert said, looking out the window at the passing city lights.

"Well, I got some news for you, Berty," I said as I leaned into him. "Relationship is over. Deal with it," I said as I walked off and stood against the back wall. I knew Frank was watching and that he had heard every word of the conversation.

"Thanks, dude. If I had known all that .. I would have beat the shit out of him ... with some help of course," Frank said, sitting back in his seat.

"Don't try and start anything with Bert. He's got a set of guns on him," I said, not making any move to sit down.

"He doesn't look that tough, though," Frank said, looking from Bert to me.

"Looks can be deceptive," I said, cracking my neck. I know when people look at me they think I'm weak, but I once knocked a guy down who was twice as big as me with one punch."

Frank's eyes widened. "You can do that? I wish I could of seen that," he said, smiling. I smiled back and sighed. Frank let out a yawn and layed his head back.

"Hey, you want to ..." but before I could finished, I heard a low snore. I looked down and saw Frank was out like a light.

---

The bus finally pulled up to my stop and I picked up sleeping beauty. Bert had gotten off about ten minutes before so I had no worries about him hurting me or Frank. I stepped off the bus and saw my mom standing there with Mikey. "Who's that?" they asked in unison.

"Frank. He's a friend from school. He fell asleep on the bus and I thought I'd let him crash here and sleep in my bed for the night," I said walking toward them.

"That's nice of you, Gerard," my mom said as she opened the door. I walked through with Frank in my arms and headed upstairs. He moved a little bit and I stopped on the landing. A couple seconds later, his eyes fluttered opened.

"W-What's going on? W-Where am I?" he stammered.

"You're at my house. You fell asleep on the bus so I thought I'd let you crash here tonight," I said as I put Frank on his feet. He started to lean into kiss me but I stopped him before it looked too obvious. "I really wouldn't do that due to the fact that my mom thinks I'm .. umm.. straight and the fact that she's standing right by the door," I said motioning toward the door.

Frank looked at my mom who was looking back at us. He smiled big. "Hello. How are you?" he asked a bit nervously.

"I'm okay. And yourself?" she asked, kind of suspicious.

"Alright. I thought I saw something on Gerard's face but I guess there was nothing there," he said. I ran my hand down my face and headed up the stairs, grabbing Frank's wrist in the process.

"Come on, Frank," I said, pulling him behind me. "I think you got some loose bolts that need to be tightened."