I Miss the Light in Your Eyes

Chapter 26

-Frank's POV-

Ray and Christa had left a while before so Gerard and I decided to walk home slowly. "Gerard, that was great," I said. I hope he knows I'm reffering to the bathroom incident. He smiled.

"Yeah, it was," Gerard said, interlockng his hand with mine. I smiled at him and we moved closer since it was getting a bit cold. I looked up at the sky and it looked as if it was going to rain sometime soon.

"Come on, Gee. We better get inside somewhere. It's going to rain," I said. We started running and came to an intersection. It was deserted, and I swear I saw one of those tumbleweed things that you would see in western movies roll in the corner of my eye. We walked across and I saw a broken window about five floors up an abandoned building that I suppose was an apartment building. "Up there," I said as I pointed at the window. Gerard nodded and we ran for it. "Ahh shit!" I said as I looked up at the ladder. It looked about ten feet up and I knew there was no way in hell that I could get to it.

"Kneel down and give me a push," Gerard said. I got to my knee and cupped my hands for him. He put a foot in and I tossed him up into the air toward the ladder. He grabbed hold of it, but just barely. One hand fell as he hung there swinging.

"Don't fall.." I whispered. "Please don't fall.." Gerard swung a bit more and grabbed hold of the bar with his other hand. "Yes.. keep it going," I said, again in a whisper. Gerard started climbing up the ladder and made it to the first platform and let the ladder down.

"Come on up, Frankie!" he said when the ladder was down low enough to where I could climb up it. I started climbing and that's when the rain started coming down .. and hard. I got about a foot away from the opening and the handles started getting really slippery.

"Gerard! Help me up!" I said as he kneeled down and grabbed my jacket collar.

"Let go, Frank. I got you," Gerard said assuringly. I did what he said and he pulled me up. "You okay?" he asked, breathing a bit heavily.

"Yeah. Let's go!" I said as we started running up more and more stairs, heading for the broken window.

We finally got there and Gerard peaked in. "Looks like and abandoned apartment room. But the hole is too small for either of us to crawl through," Gerard said, grabbing a piece of a muffler and breaking the entire window with one shot. I climbed in and Gerard followed. "Watch out," he said as I backed up. He started shaking his head like a dog shaking after a bath. Water went everywhere. I laughed as I blocked the water coming toward me with my arms. We were both pretty drenched.

"So ... how long do you think we'll be here?" I asked looking around. It was loaded with a bed and everything ... but it looked like none of it has been used in ages.

"I'm not sure. Probably a couple hours .. maybe all night," Gee said, looking out the window. We immediately turned toward the door when we heard voices outside. They were faint ... so we couldn't understand what words were being exchanged. Me and Gerard snuck into the closet and closed the doors .. just in case.

-Gerard's POV-

We stood quietly in the closet and I peaked through the holes that were in it .. only to find that my coin was on the floor. I heard a key enter the key hole and I immediately opened the closet doors and got down and started crawling. I grabbed hold of the coin and I turned to Frank. 'Close the doors!' I mouthed as I rolled myself under the bed. I heard the closet close and the apartment door open.

Someone jumped on the bed really hard and I bit my lip hard ... holding back the scream that was trying to burst out of me. 'Damn ... whoever just did that is pretty heavy!' I thought to myself as I bit my lip less and less. I was pretty sure that a couple ribs were cracked. I breathed deeply, and cringed in pain. I was waiting patiently for whoever was on the bed to get off and leave. I decided I didn't even care so I slowly, as much as I was in pain, crawled out from under the bed. I looked on the bed without the person noticing me and saw that it was Johnny.

He was turned toward the door and I immediately ran toward the window.

-Frank's POV-

I saw Gerard at the window and noticed he was looking at the closet. He put his finger to his mouth and motioned me to come out. I opened the closet doors slowly and tip-toed over to Gerard. He slowly crawled out the window and I followed him. We sat down on the platform outside the window and luckily where we were sitting wasn't getting drenched in rain. Gerard pulled me close and we sat there, freezing and waiting.