I've Been Living in a Good Dream, for Far Too Long

Living the Dream

Image

A few months had passed, and Alex had prepared the new song completely. He wasn't sure how this was all going to work out, but he was really excited to see if he could ever make it back. Jack had been encouraging him, and guiding him through making his new song, and getting into the show with Zack and Rian. Alex managed to keep himself happy with his music, getting healthier by the day. He was definitely skinnier than before, but now happy with his appearance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day of the concert arrived, and Alex was more than happy. He was the third person to play, and he was happy with it. Supposedly, quite a few fans of All Time Low were going to be there. But he wasn't sure if that was true or not. He hung out in the back by his car smoking a cigarette. A few girls showed up behind him, and he smiled. They came over and talked to him for a while, commenting on how good he looked and how they were very excited to hear him live. They left soon, and he smoked his final cigarette. Zack and Rian found him in the parking lot, before the show actually started.

"You nervous Alex?" Zack asked, watching as Jack walked over with John.

"I'm alright." He said, his hand shaking lightly as he put out his cigarette.

Jack smiled softly, "You'll do fine." And John added, "Don't worry, your song is amazing."

Alex smiled softly, pulling his guitar out of the back seat. "You guys are too nice." He smiled, feeling the old rush he use to. The excitement wasn't getting to him yet though, because he still had to face a crowd of people that might not want to heard him.

They all headed inside, waiting back stage. The concert started, and Alex was completely ready to just get out there and do his thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His time had come to sing, and Alex began to get nervous. He knew what kind of fans he had, and it was always easy for him to warm up to them. He just hoped people wouldn't boo at him. But there was always a chance for that. Taking in a deep breath, Alex stepped out on stage, carrying his guitar. He put it over his shoulder and stepped up to the microphone, letting himself listen to the cheers of the people in the crowd.He felt accomplished, it seemed like he wasn't forgotten.

Facing the crowd he spoke into the mic for the first time. "I'm back! Miss me?" He smiled, listening to the girls scream. "This is my acoustic set, All Time Low songs, and a song of my own. This song is Stay Awake." He began, playing through the song and singing. It was fairly easy, he'd sang these songs for years, and they came back to him just like that. He played through the set, only having nine songs. When the last song came, Alex got slightly nervous. He took a drink from his water, then turned to the crowd once more. "I'm going to play you my new song. Its the last song, but its called Living the Dream." He said, starting to strum on his guitar. He put his mouth up to the mic and began to sing.

"I need the time to leave behind everything I've just seen
Cause I've been living in a good dream, for far too long
I need the time to realize everything was make believe
Dammit I was so naive
You were never who you seemed to be

But all I ask, is for my fair chance
Of making my way to the top of this industry
And with my own two hands, not a second glance
I'll make the impossible a possibility

So don't fuck this whole thing up for me, I thought we were a team
but now you're kicking the legs right out from under my dreams
Don't fuck this whole thing up for me, you said that we were a team
but now you're kicking the legs right out from under my dreams."


Alex finished with a deep breath, as the crowd erupted with screams from girls. Jack was giving him a thumbs up from the side of the stage and he waved to everyone. "Thanks so much everyone, I won't disappear from you all again." He said with a confident smile, then exited the stage with his guitar. "Do you think they liked it?" Alex asked Jack, and he nodded. John came from the lounge and joined Jack. "I'm sure they loved it Alex." He told him with confidence.

The rest of the night went through well. He sat at a merch table and sold shirts that said, "Living the Dream, and Alex Gaskarth." He enjoyed meeting old fans, and also building connections with new fans. No matter how long you disappeared, your music was always for sale, and played in different places. Alex had developed the start he needed to get recognition and the boost he needed to keep going. Even though a lot of things had messed with his dream, he was back to recovery.