S is for Steve.

oo1.

I walked through the small wooden door as quiet as possible, I was late and being late on the first day was never a good thing. I shut the door quietly behind me as my eyes looked at the other people that were sitting in a circle in the center of the room. I sighed, realizing that none of them noticed my presence.

“Mr. Conway, it is so nice of you to join us.” A high-pitched voice said from somewhere in the circle. “Please, come sit down.” An older woman turned around, facing me with piercing blue eyes. I swallowed hard before telling my feet to move closer to the group, even though they wanted to run in the other direction. “We were just getting started.” I sat down in an empty spot, looking at the others around me. All of them here for the same exact reason, to share what had happened to them. “Since you were late Steve, why don’t you go first.” The woman folded her hands on her lap, staring at me, wanting me to talk.

“I, uh, really don’t know what happened.” I shrugged, trying to laugh the situation off. “One minute I was in the woods, the next, I’m here getting told the rules even though I don’t know what the hell is happening.” My eyes shifted nervously around the room, begging for anyone to stand up and say they wanted to speak. The girl sitting across from me looks like she’s just dying to talk. Okay, not a good joke.

“Why don’t you just tell us about what you remember in the woods, Steve.” She pushed me and I wanted to push her back, right out of that chair.

“Um, okay, I guess.” I swallowed hard, trying to recall the days events in my mind.

&

I was standing against a brick wall waiting for my friend, Tommy, to come down. From his apartment we were supposed to go to our friends house, pick them up and decide what we wanted to do today. I sighed, closing my eyes, it had been ten minutes since I had been here, I called as I was walking up to his apartment building but I guess that wasn’t enough of a warning.

“Are you falling asleep on me, Steve?” Tommy chuckled after a few moments of my eyes being shut.

“No,” I mumbled, pushing off the wall.

“Good, because we haven’t even started anything yet.” He smiled before turning around, walking towards the parking lot. We both got into my old beat down, him in the passenger seat, me in the drivers seat, that I had had for about a year, I was surprised it hadn’t broken down yet. As I drove Tommy played with the stereo, searching for something to listen to. I wasn’t paying attention to what he had picked out, I was to busy looking at the road and the old buildings that we passed. “Do you have any ideas for today?” He asked, turning his head towards me.

“Nope, you know I can never come up with anything good to do. I’ll just go with what you guys come up with.” He shook his head as we pulled into a driveway that belonged to brown shingled house.

“I’ll be right back.” He rushed out before hopping out of the car, running up the dirt path that led to the door.

I reached underneath my seat, pulling out a CD case that I kept under it. I pulled one out, pushing it into the player. I turned the volume up as the guitar started to float around the sealed up car. A few minutes later three guys emerged from the house, Tommy, Ken and Dylan, and slowly made their way to the car. I rolled my eyes before honking the horn. They all looked up at me before hurrying the rest of the way to car.

“What’s up with you, Steve?” Dylan asked as he climbed into the backseat of the car.

“Did Lindsay not give out this morning?” Ken barked.

“Shut the hell up, Ken, before I come back there and slap you.” I grunted as I pulled out of the driveway.

“So, guys, what are we doing today?” Tommy asked, rubbing his hands together excitedly.

“We can go to the shooting range.” Ken suggested, shrugging his shoulders.

“We did that Monday.” I answered lamely.

“We can go bowling.” Ken, once again suggested.

“Wow, Ken, you really are loosing your touch.” I laughed.

“Hey, dick-face, I don’t hear you suggesting anything.” He punched the back of my seat.

“We could go shoot some bows around.” Dylan sighed.

“We haven’t done that in a while.” Tommy raised his brow.

“Yeah, because last time you nearly killed someone.” I shook my head, laughing lightly.

“I did not, I just missed the target.” He defended himself.

“Yeah, and aimed it at me.” Ken glared at him.

“That was the only up-side.” I laughed again.

“Don’t make me come up there.” He threatened.

“I’m so scared.” I rolled my eyes.

“It’s settled, going to shoot bows.” Tommy intervened before there was bloodshed.

I sighed, turning down a dirt road that led to an opening in a field. No one rarely came here, so it would be perfect for us, in case one of us did miss a tree that we were aiming for. I parked the car along the road, jumping out and heading to the trunk. We hadn’t removed the bows and arrows from the last time we had gone here. I picked them up, handing them out to the three other guys, keeping one in my hand for myself. I slung the case of arrows over my shoulder and started to walk to the clearing.

“I’m first!” Tommy yelled, ripping the case off my shoulders and pulling an arrow out. He placed the arrow to where it was meant to be, pulled back on the string and let it loose. He missed the tree he was aiming, but it did land in a tree, somewhere in the woods.

“Great, we’re already on a roll.” I laughed. “I’ll get it.” I sighed, placing my bow on the ground before trotting into the thick woods. I searched around for the yellow arrow, looking in all the trunks and on the ground. My head snapped back out of reflex as my eyes moved over something bright. I smiled before bending down and picking the arrow up. “I found it!” I yelled waving it above my head, even though I knew they couldn’t see me.

I put my arm back down to my side, and turned around facing the way I came. I started to walk back to the clearing when a sharp pain flew through my chest. I screamed out in pain, falling to my knees and that was the last thing I remember.


&

I finished the story, my eyes still on my lap, my eyes had a perfect view of the arrow head and a little part of the arrow sticking through my chest from the back. I looked up after a few minutes of silence, my eyes finding their way to person who had wanted to talk. For the first time I noticed she had a deep gash in her throat, her shirt was stained red but her eyes were still piercing through me. I let my eyes wander to the girl I had wanted to speak up earlier, she was pushing her bangs out of her eyes revealing a shot wound. I shuttered.

I guess I really am dead.