Status: Active.

The Meaning in the Rhyme

Without a place to be

“I don’t need a doctor, Saxon!” I managed to hoarsely yell.

“Yes you do! You can barely talk!” He yelled back handing me my jacket.

“What about the show!?”

“Danny agreed to play for you if the doctor didn’t clear you.”

“He doesn’t know the songs that well!”

“He’ll figure it out.” I sat down on the couch pouting. “Would it help if Jack agreed to go with you?”

“No. I don’t want to go to the dumb doctor.”

“How bad do you feel?” He asked holding a hand to my burning head.

“Not that bad.” It was complete bull shit of course. Over the past week my small cough had turned into a intense cough, 100 degree fever, body aches, and the worst headache of my life. Playing every night nearly killed me but it was all for the fans.

“Liar.”

“I hate you.” I said slipping my arms into the sleeves.

“Is she finally going to go?” Chelsea asked following JD and Jack into the room.

“Yeah. I think she’s too tired to fight anymore. Where’s Marshall, Chelsea?” She blushed.

“Why would I know?”

“Oh you know why.” Saxon said. They’d been talking about this secret thing with Marshall ever since that night Shane and I had hung out.

“What are you guys talking about?! I feel so left out!” I whined leaning my head against the back of the futon.

“Marshall and Chelsea hooked up, dude. Thought you of all people would know.” JD said. My eyes were wide.

“Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“We were never alone or you were sleeping when I had the chance! I don’t want everyone knowing!” She said looking at the floor.

“Yeah, JD. Shut the fuck up.” I said.

“I just told you and- I don’t understand women!” He said throwing his arms in the air and walking away. Every time I saw JD I automatically saw him clothes less. That was a great picture. I don’t think anyone knew what he was hiding under all those clothes. Even I was surprised.

“Taiiiiiggggeee, lets go!” Jack whined holding the door open.

“We’re talking later, missy!” I said putting my hood up and shuffling out the back door to an awaiting cab. Snow was falling from the dark Pennsylvania sky. I mustered a smile, looking up.

“If you don’t get in here I’m throwing snow at you. Come on.” Jack said holding the door open. The heat inside was inviting.

“I’d rather stay out here. Snow is way too awesome, bro.”

“You can play in the snow after we get you checked out.” He said sternly. I playfully glared at him.

“Alright, Dad.

“Don’t call me your dad! Come on!” He said smiling. I sighed and climbed into the car. The driver was smiling knowingly. I guess he was use to tourist kids who weren’t use to snow. It legit snow man building material snowed once every 12 years in Virginia it seemed.

“Patient First?” The driver asked. We told him yeah and handed him $40.

“Thanks for coming Jack! We haven’t hung out in forever.” I said smiling at him.

“Yeah cause you felt awkward about kissing Alex.” He said knowingly.

“That was the most serious sentence I’ve ever heard come out you’re mouth, Barakat.”

“I can be serious….sometimes.”

“Says the guy who has a I.D that says you’re 17.” He laughed.

“I just got kicked out of the venue bar because of that! I pulled out the wrong one.” I giggled.

“You’re ridiculous. Thanks for coming though Jack. I hate the doctor. You’ll make going seem like the zoo.” I said pulling my phone out. I had missed calls from both my parents.

“I’m going to steal all the tongue sticks and hide the cotton balls.”

“What about the band aids?”

“I’ll spell my name out in neon pink!” He said happily contemplating his plan. Twenty minutes later we were sitting in the waiting room. I hated filling out paper work. It was overly personal.

“Whatcha doin?” Jack asked leaning over my shoulder. His Iphone had finally bored him into messing with me.

“Boring stuff.”

“Hurry up! I wanna go mess up a room with band aids!” I laughed.

“How does your mom take you anywhere?”

“She has this dog leash thing. I haven’t gotten lost in years.” I couldn’t stop giggling.

“I have to get this done, Jack! We’ll never get into that room if I don’t” He pouted in the chair beside me. There was giggling behind me. I looked up. Jack was turned around making faces at a little girl who was clutching a baby doll. She jumped down off her chair and handed Jack the doll.

“Your baby.” She said standing front of Jack.

“My baby? What’s her name?”

“Jane. She’s sick too.”

“Oh yeah? That sucks. Maybe a big kiss will make her all better.” Jack said kissing the baby dolls forehead. I watched him interact with the little girl. It was the cutest thing I’d ever seen. He was going to make a great Dad one day. Jack Barakat kids….kind of a scary thought.

“Taige, kiss her too!” Jack said shoving the doll in my face. I lightly kissed the thing and handed it back to the little girl. She wrapped her tiny hands around it, beaming at us.

“I think your mommy’s looking for you, honey.” I said pointing to a frantic mom searching silently.

“Hi mommy! I have a new friend!” The little girl yelled across the room. I buried my face in Jack’s arm. Parents hated when non parents laughed at their kids cute little antics. The little girl waved bye to us and ran to her mom.

“Cute. Jack, you’re good with kids.”

“It’s cause I am a kid. Are you done yet?!” I stood up and walked the clip board over to the window. The whole process was a lot. We were called back minutes later. They left us alone in the cold white room. Jack was picking up the cotton ball holder when the doctor walked into the room. He gave Jack a stern look and turned to me. I was trying not to laugh.

“Don’t mess with those, son. $10 for every missing cotton ball.” Jack’s mouth fell open. I laughed. Jack made faces at me the whole time while I talked to the doctor.

“Sounds like H1N1.” I stared at the doctor confused. “Swine Flu.”

“Shit, dude. Nu uh.”

“Yeah. It may just be the regular flu though. We’ll test you right now.” He said opening a cabinet and pulled out a long cotton swab. Yuck. He stuck it down my throat and swabbed around. I got chills up and down my spine.

“You didn’t gag, Taige.” Jack said smirking.

“There’s a trick, Jack.”

“What’s that?” The doctor asked.

“Make your left hand into a fist. Tuck your thumb in. Now, stick your right pointer finger.” They followed suit. Jack’s eyes were wide as he did it.

“That’s so fucking weird!” Jack yelled.

“Agreed.” The doctor said slipping on a new pair of gloves. “I’ll be back in ten. Don’t touch anything.” I held back my laughter until the door was closed.

“Jack got in trouble!”

“Shut up! Pose pretty.” Jack said holding up his phone.

“No! I look like crap!”

“I have to update my Twitter!”

“So do I but I’m not pic tweeting!”

“Doesn’t matter. They expect it!” I stuck my tongue out at him. “Thank you.” He said. His fingers now racing across the screen.

“Having fun on tour?” I asked.

“Hell yeah. Hey, Alex told me a secret. I’m bad at keeping em though.”

“What secret is that, Barakitten?”

“He thinks you’re cute. He wants to tap that ass.”

“Er….uhm….he has Lisa?” I said awkwardly scrambling for a response.

“She’s far away. They have an open relationship.”

“Too gross for me, bro.”

“I’m back. Oh, good. You’re still there.” The doctor said walking in.

“What’s up doc?” Jack asked.

“How long have you been waiting to do that?” I asked.

“Ever since he left.”

“You have the flu.” The doctor said interrupting my conversation already writing my prescription.

“Can I get that here? We’re on tour and I don’t know anyone who can get me a prescription that fast.”

“Tour? Like a band?”

“Yeah. We’re both coincidentally guitarists.” I said bouncing happily. It was always fun to tell strangers my profession.

“You need to take it easy. No running around on stage. No partying all night. You need to rest, take all your medicine and keep plenty of water in yourself. Understand?” I nodded. “Also, this cough medicine will make you very sleepy. Don’t take it and then go on stage. You’ll disappoint a lot of people.” Jack was back to making faces. I giggled.

“Okay. I promise to do all of the above!”

“Good. I’ll be back in a second with your medicine then you can go.” I smiled at him.

“Thank you, sir.” I said jumping off the table checking my phone again. We went on stage in an hour. I jumped around the room until he returned then out to a awaiting cab. I popped a Tamiflu into my mouth and swallowed it and then leaned against Jack who wrapped his arms around me, laying his head on top of mine. I liked the Jack who didn’t act constant stupid around people. He was a sweeter guy than I had given him credit for.
♠ ♠ ♠
Taige
Chelsea
Title cred- The Higher