Status: Finished. :]

Napkins

One/One

My best friend, Kennedy, and I waited in line at Taco Bell. We did this every Wednesday night when he wasn’t on tour. We ordered one of everything on the menu. We would devour as much food as we could then took the rest to his band mates.

When we finally got all the food to a table we sat across from each other. He laughed whenever I would get food all over myself—which wasn’t uncommon. “Maybe we should consider getting napkins next time,” I mumbled as I looked at my now-sticky hands. I wasn’t sure if there was anything on my face.

He laughed, “Why would we do that?” I crumpled some trash together and put it on a tray.

“Because I’m messy,” I giggled. He put his hands on the edge of the table and leaned across then licked my cheek slowly. My eyes widened and I tensed; this wasn’t his usual behavior. His tongue left my cheek and he smirked before he lightly licked the corner of my lips. My cheeks flushed red as he sat back in his seat.

He looked on the seat beside him, picked something up and held it out. “Napkin?” he asked innocently.

“I’m going to the potty,” I said, my voice too high. He smirked and shook his head; I could tell he was trying not to laugh. I got up and scurried to the bathroom. I locked the door and went to the sink. I turned on the cold water and splashed my face, grateful that I rarely wore any type of makeup.

I rubbed my temples and looked into the mirror. My cheeks had faded back to their normal color. My brown eyes sparkled. “It’s Kennedy,” I protested to myself. I turned away from the mirror. “I don’t like Kennedy… I don’t like Kennedy… I don’t… I’m fucking madly in love with Kennedy!” I drew in a slow, deep breath then let it out. I decided to go back out. I unlocked the door and walked back to the table at a normal pace.

His elbow was on the table and he was propping his head up with his hand. He smiled as I sat. “You know everybody heard you, right?” he asked after a minute of my squirming.

My eyes widened and all color drained from my face. “Y-you’re k-kidding, right?” I stuttered.

He shook his head. “Nope. But I have a confession to make.” This was it—he was going to say he didn’t like me as anything more than a friend. Just friends, I internally grumbled to myself. I needed to stop reading so many romance novels while he was away.

“And that would be?” I finally asked.

“I’ve been in love with you since I met you in ninth grade,” he admitted sheepishly. My cheeks turned red again. He leaned across the table again and pecked my lips. “Will you be my girlfriend, Michelle?” I nodded and he kissed me again.