Status: The sauce of awsome made from reading... Chapter 11!! (when I post it)

Of Blood and Serpents

10 Year One, Chapter Three: Confrontations

Year One

Chapter Three.

Confrontations.

"Good luck on the potions test!" Terra grimaced wrinkling her pale nose that was dashed with permanent freckles. Holding her parchment filled with potions notes beneath her arm by her side her uneasy expression quickly fell back to be replaced by her impish grin.

"Do my best, See yeah Pip!" Piper nodded absently dipping her head back over the table to finish the Transfiguration assignment. "Thanks so much again Lily!" Terra called jubilantly from the front of the library earning a scowl from the Librarian. Brushing through her freshly washed hair with her spidery fingers Lily sat across from Piper who was still bent over her books and working relentlessly.

"Hows it goin, nearly done?" Lily raised her brows hopefully trying to peer across the desk to see how close she was.

"Nearly." The girl breathed, leaning back in her chair and glaring at the parchment as if it were an unruly child she would put in its place. Lily fought a grin, her friend was a bit of a perfectionist, she wouldn't be done with the assignment until she was absolutely satisfied with the results. Its what made her many of the teachers favourites, but the girl had a particular passion for Transfiguration.

Terra, on the other hand shone in charms work (being the first in her class to levitate anything), but sucked bollocks at anything with more precision, like potions or dark arts. Lily, on the other hand, greatest passion of course was Potions, but she found that dark arts was beginning to rival her beloved class of concoctions. She couldn't even be bothered to notice Carmella sometimes she was so enthralled with absorbing the overwhelming information of the class.

Really though potions was her best class by the long run, quite possibly because she'd spent much of her childhood playing with the sort of potions assignments they were receiving now. Which reminded her of the invite Severus gave her to have tea with him, an event which pleased her and and worried her. What would Piper do while she was gone for lunch? Generally the girls preoccupied themselves with idling around the grounds, just the two of them while Terra stayed with her Gryffindor friends. Lily very much wanted to accept Severus's request but she was uncomfortable with the thought of leaving Piper vulnerable to Carmella in any way. The girls had a silent pact against her after all and she was just so... happy with her relationship with her she was afraid this would send them off balance. A painful thought lanced through Lily's heart imagining Piper glaring at her, standing with her arms crossed beside Carmella 'oh you decided your not to busy at lunch any more, well to bad snilly, I'm too busy to-' Lily's scowl must have been so apparent that Piper noticed it as she glanced up over the table at her friend and her eyes clouded in concern.

"Hey, you okay Lily?" Lily snapped out of it, her scowl falling away as she was drawn back to reality.

"Oh, what?" Lily's cheeks warmed realizing she'd been making a face and her lips twitched in hasty embarrassment. "Sorry I was just thinking about something..."

"About Carmella?" Her friends eyes narrowed and became unusually hard for her face, her mouth curled downwards in distaste. "God, I can't believe she gave you that ridiculous nickname Snilly. What a little git." Some how Lily felt relief, how could she be so silly? Thinking Piper would ditch her for the most hated little witch in Slytherin. Silly, utterly daft.

"Kind of... " Lily sighed reluctantly, peeling back her anxieties to speak earnestly to her friend. "Severus sort of invited me for lunch, or tea really, but you know during lunch... and I really want to go! I just don't want to strand you, yeah?" Pipers expression remained unreadable to Lily which only mounted the girls anxiety as she waited for the information to process. Finally the girl shrugged, the easy serene expression sliding back into place.

"Worried I'd be fending for myself?" She smiled, exposing at least one of Lily's reservations. "Don't worry, Professor McGonagall is assigning that essay tomorrow. I'll just pop by here to work on it rather than save it all for later." The tension built up in her chest eased into something more achy and caring as she stared at her friend. Grateful full of relief she was nearly at a loss of words.

"..Thank you, Piper." She finally got out softly, her friend smiling with ease across from her, unknowingly hearing admission that meant much more than she knew. Bubbles rose in her chest making her feel cheery and giggly. She realized a few moments later it was happiness which lightened her.

"Don't worry I only have another two and a half paragraphs to go." and Lily was suddenly brought back to earth, her brows raising and a sigh escaping her lips.

Perfectionists... She nearly shook her head.

I guess all best friends come with their flaws...

-----

Lily wasn't sure quite how to react to this. She stared openly at Carmella across from her in the dining hall, half surprised she was still constantly surprised by the girls complete disregard for others.

"Whats this then? Your dad sending you letters? I suppose even your father isn't immune to how naturally repelling you are." She sneered, Lily still staring at her, her hand clenched around her wand beneath the table, meanwhile Piper froze midway between taking a sip of her pumpkin juice. Finally as the girl turned the grubby looking letter over inspecting it did her anger give her a voice, a blind one, but still a voice.

"Give it back Carmella!" She glowered, raising out of her seat slightly leaning over the table, the hostility clear between the girls. Carmella's eyes glinted with something like a dare and her nose wrinkled as she spoke.

"Its not very nice Snilly, not to want to share you know." She said coldly, Netra staring at her plate as she usually did but Mona watched the two girls in obvious interest and excitement.

"Whats in that letter is my business." She hissed, her voice dipping low and her eyes flashing. It made Carmella nervous, she realized in the fleeting expression behind her eyes that was hastily covered in 'bitch' but Carmella knew she caught it. She was a control freak and hated when others tried to undermine her in any way and Lily was somewhat fearlessin her own way. Usually only because her temper flared enough for her to voice her usually mild opinion. Carmella leaned away, cradling the letter, her brows raised mockingly.

"Oh, do you have a boyfriend or something?" Her laughter was cold. "I'd like to know what daft moron would date you!" Mona snorted halfway taking a bite, eyes glinting in malicious amusement. Lily almost wanted to point out being 'daft' and an 'moron' were practically the same thing but deflected it instead, her cheeks inadvertently reddening. She opened her mouth anger and hurt welling in her chest but it was too late, the letter hissed viciously as she tore it open, hastily unfolding the little paper her greedy eyes scanning the words scrawled there Looking over the sheet the girls grin widened and Lily stole the opportunity to snatch the letter from the girls grasp, her own eyes roaming the page trying to read...

Confusion hit her. Carmella's high pitched laughter making her gut knot.

"Hagrid? That half breed oaf ?" The leaden feeling in her stomach kindled, her throat tightening and her blood rushing blindingly.

"SHUT up!" She slammed her hands against the table so hard that it shook, her blood draining from her cheeks and a cold sweat breaking over her. She hardly noticed the table go silent nor the eyes on her spindly black cloaked form "Your a pathetic whiny little snit with nothing better to do then to look down your fat round nose at people that are far better than you'll ever be! Don't you dare presume to insult my friends." Her voice tapered to a dreadful hiss, Carmella staring at her in mortified shock. Then a few seats down the table a first year made a quiet 'yeah!' and suddenly the whole table was laughing. The blood died in her ears as lily blinked in shock and surprise, Piper still staring at her friend in shock tugged the back of her robes to get her too sit again just as Carmella let out a horrified cry and tripped awkwardly out of her seat too escape the humiliation booming in all different voices and volumes around her. Mona sent Lily a scathing look and Netra simply glanced at Lily in amazement before running after the two, crying : 'Mona! Mona wait up!'.

"I told you you have a silver tongue!" Piper giggled, a first year girl in their dormitories named Sid leaning over from a few seats away to speak.

"Yeah, that was really great!" Sid said with a nod, her silver blond curls bouncing. The giggles sputtered out suddenly like a water dousing a flame, a notable chill descending over the girls.

"Lillian." The voice sent chills down her spine, shame creeping into her cheeks as she looked over her shoulder to see Severus. His expression cold between the curtain of greasy black hair. "To my office, immediately." Swallowing she ducked her head, a hush of murmurs of children now sniggering at her as she began to dutifully stand. Piper began to stand as well but a ice cold look from Severus made the girl pause as he added coldly. "Alone."

Glancing over her shoulder Piper gaze was apologetic and worried. The other girl, Sid, gave her a little wave as she passed, like saying good luck. The last eyes she caught just might have smothered the shame she was feeling and begin the burn of anger if she had held it any longer than she did. Damon watched her eyes dark and cold and making her insides smoulder. Grinding her teeth she forced her head forward, threatening to begin to crane it if she kept her eyes connected with his. Behind her Damon lowered his gaze back to his potatoes, suddenly feeling like he'd lost his appetite.

------

"Get in." Severus ordered, his expression unreadable to Lily who peaked at him before obeying and stepping over the threshold into his personal office. He closed the door behind him, Lily standing with her back achingly straight, afraid to presume to sit. "You understand this would be unnecessary had you restrained yourself in the great hall?"

"Yes sir." she answered, clasping her spidery pale fingers in front of her, feeling almost uncomfortable beneath her fathers gaze.

"As head of house I must punish all student equally, or did you assume you had immunity?"

"No!" She said quickly, shaking her head. "I just... lost my temper.. I know I shouldn't have." Her voice rushed, her jaw clamping shut when the words were finished leaving Severus to study her.

"Bullying is not tolerated at Hogwarts." At that Lily bristled in indignation her eyes snapping up impudently.

"She was the one who-!

" Five points from Slytherin for being impudent, do not try me." He barked threateningly, her eyes fell again, her hands dropping to her sides simply to squeeze into fists. "Now take a seat." Fumingly she did, her hair falling into her face like a dark curtain, glaring from beneath half lidded green eyes into her lap. "Your punishment will be to serve detention in potions class."

"Is that all sir?" she asked coldly, her gaze still firmly planted on her lap.

"No, I would also like to know whether or not you've accepted my invitation for tea."

"Of course sir." She swallowed, not angry enough to say no, she still missed him.

"Very well, I expect you tonight for detention and for tea tomorrow." She stood up, nodding her head but still refusing to look at him. "Oh, and Lillian?" He called to her from beside the fire and she stopped to look back. "I suggest more furtive methods to deal with your enemies should such a need arise again." he added, his tone sidling into something softer causing Lily to blink back in surprise an unexpected smile gracing her lips.

"Of course professor... good day." She said to Severus's dark figure in front of the flickering firelight which illuminated a small circle of his darkened office. Tucking her hair behind her ear and quite unsure if she should still feel slighted or pleased she excused herself, politely ducking herself from her fathers office.

"You okay?" Piper asked quickly, seeming to appear from no where in front of Lily causing her to jump in surprise, having just left Severus's office. The question catching her off guard more than anything as she was still trying to decide which emotion she felt more particularly in this instance.

"I- wah?" She asked stupidly clearing her mind to concentrate on her brown eyed friend.

"I asked if you were okay." She pressed, brow furrowing in concern as she tried to decipher her pale friends indecisive dazed expression.

"Oh, yeah, Brilliant actually." Lily decided, a rare full smile gracing her cheeks as she took her friends arm, the morning bell tolling to begin the day bringing an end to breakfast.

"Really? You mean he wasn't furious, he looked furious Lily." She added in a conspiratorial whisper, hugging both Lily's and her own transfiguration books to her chest.

"Its okay really, I think he was just a little ashamed more than anything..." Lily bit her lip as she said it, realizing it was probably true. She could imagine how it might seem to others.... her throwing a tantrum, little Slytherin princess. Guilt gnawed her as she realized that she may have reflected against Severus poorly in some way.

"Oh good then, I was just worried you'd gotten detention or something like that." Piper exhaled in obvious relief, her expression relaxing perhaps too quickly. Lily made a face, nervously twiddling her fingers.

"Well actually, he did give me a potions detention... and took away five house points." Piper's eyes shot to her.

"Which means you'll be leaving me alone to study with Terra tonight doesn't it?" She asked in an exhausted sigh, her brow knotting together into a pout or even something 'grumpy' forcing Lily to giggle in her friends displeasure.

"Sorry." She added, "I'm sure she really appreciates your help... Oh and tomorrow..." She began with a nervous glance to her side. "Remember that tea Severus invited me to?"

----

Carmella made herself scarce the rest of the day much to Lily and Piper's relief, and it wasn't until Terra joined them on their way to the potions dungeon that she found out the mornings events.

"So you finally told her off! Us Gryffindor's were wondering what was going on at your table." Terra told her admiringly. Slinging her potions satchel over her shoulder as she walked between her and Piper. "I bet it was brilliant too." Terra pouted displeased with the fact she'd missed it.

"I don't even remember what I said really." She admitted because it was true. She remembered the swell of anger, then the rush of pleasure and the pleasant sensation of the weight being lifted from her chest.

"It was brilliant" Piper assured her almost sharply, taking long strides to keep ahead of Terra, her auburn hair bobbing around her face. Terra's expression dissolving further in disappointment as she fell behind Piper a step.

"So... did you get in much trouble then? I saw the professor leave the main table." Lily shrugged, decidedly not correcting her friend into calling 'the professor' 'professor Snape' instead as he was supposed to be. Terra wasn't much of a stickler for details as the other girls were so Lily continued, explaining the details.

"I have a detention in potions tonight, but he invited me over for lunch tomorrow... Will you two be okay together?" Lily asked deciding to broach the subject to Terra and watching both of her friends faces carefully. Terra smiled, her eyes completely innocuous as she shrugged.

"We should be fine." Piper added with a slight sigh when Lily prodded her behind with her wand tip.

"Good ju-" Lily was cut off sharply by a hard shoulder broke through the girls

"Hey watch It!" Terra snarled to the girl who turned. Mona glaring hatefully at Lily, her ash blonde hair thin around her blunt features.

"No, you better watch it." She snapped, her voice dripping dangerously, scowling at all three girls before continuing brusquely on her way to the potions dungeon.

"What the bloody hell was her problem?" Terra asked sourly, rubbing the offended shoulder, clearly not having recognized Mona as Carmella's goon. Lily bite her lip, her stomach turning oddly sour as Piper frowned ahead after the girls robes.

"That's Mona one of Carmella's bunch." Lily told her, fiddling with the edge of her sleeve as Terra's eyes cleared in realization.

"Right, yeah, I never paid much attention to the other ones," She said, switching her shoulder satchel. "You think she's going to start some trouble?"

"Probably." Lily admitted with a soured expression, knowing even as she said it, it was true. The situation with Carmella was certainly not over.

"Well.." Terra began, noticing both of her friends distantly perturbed expressions. Obnoxiously she threw her arms around both of the girls causing Lily to snap her eyes up in surprise and Piper to look both alarmed and a little agitated. "Don't forget you have a Gryffindor at your backs, I'll take on a slimy Slytherin git any day!" She announced grinning between the two, Piper letting out an exhaustive sigh and looked up towards the ceiling almost in silent prayer. Lily quirked her brow at her friend as if to remind her that they were Slytherin's too. "Wha? Its not like you two are slimy or anythin'!" The girl quickly objectified.

"Lets just get this day over with shall we?" Piper muttered shaking her head as she walked ahead pushing the heavy dungeon door open. The sound of a bubbling cauldron greeting the girls ears as they stepped in, the gloomy dungeon light causing them to blink their eyes in adjustment, Terra's face scrunching into displeasure. Lily rolled her eyes as her friend scrunched her nose and stuck out her tongue in disgust. Terra truly did not have an affinity for the art that was potion making.

Piper waved her to the front of the class, her books and cauldron already set up the seat beside her on the end of the row empty. Lily took her place, then almost nervously she glanced about curious to see where the rest of Carmella's lot was.

"Their near the back row." Piper told her, taking out their finished potions homework, the parchment tied neatly with a bow. Lily frowned, oddly discomforted with the thought she hadn't seen them on the way in. "I imagine she's sulking." Piper shrugged sounding bemused at the thought as she read her friends expression.

"Silence." The class quieted as Severus assumed his position at the head of class, his black eyes sweeping the room as the cauldron behind him simmered, a whitish sort of smoke coming from it. "Now who is able to identify the potion in the cauldron behind me?" His eyes swept the class, and finding none able to identify simply by sight who immediately volunteered their knowledge his eyes fell on Lily. His robes brushing against the cold dungeon floor he clasped his hands behind his back, the palled skin between the curtain of his greasy hair tipped downwards slightly as he looked down his hooked nose at her.

"Lillian, enlighten your peers." Licking her lips she looked back to the cauldron, her eyes following the white smoke briefly.

"I, um, expect that's a trick question Professor." She answered, meeting his black fathomless eyes which flickered for a moment.

"By all means continue." Lily swallowed, feeling oddly put on the spot by her father.

".. Well,sir, the white smoke coming from it tells me that the potion is simple, consisting of only three or four ingredients... but the problem is that whats simmering in your cauldron is not actually a potion yet, because you haven't added the four ingredients. I can tell because the white smoke signals that the boil remedy potion, which I expect is what your prepping, is ready to be taken off the fire and the ingredients added. It hasn't been done yet so Its not quite a potion at all yet Sir. " She explained beneath his black glittering eyes that she felt were taking too great an interest in her, it was clear he was thinking something. Oddly as his mouth curled and his eyes flickered she felt as if she'd passed some sort of test.

"Impressive, Five points to Slytherin..." His robe swept across the floor as he continued down the row of students. "Boil remedy potion requires the addition of four ingredients: Dried nettles, Porcupine Quills, Horned Slugs, and Snake fangs.
Each ingredient to be added to the potion once it is taken from the flame, and if some of you are not complete imbeciles you would be writing this down." He hissed dryly, Terra who was staring at him blankly blushing suddenly and scrambling to take the notes down. Turning down to her parchment Lily felt an odd tingle of anxiety pass through her, perhaps her detention in potions would be more interesting then she thought?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm next chapter... a bit lengthy I know, guess you know what I've been doing for the last little bit....