Status: The sauce of awsome made from reading... Chapter 11!! (when I post it)

Of Blood and Serpents

7 Obediance

Chapter Seven-

Obedience.

Severus was furious at her she could tell, and her glee from last nights triumph slowly drained away as they walked further from Dumbledore's office. She kept her head down as she followed him, still biting the inside of her cheek. Her shoulder was starting to ache from his grip even before they reached the grounds. They stopped right under the stone column opening, right were the boys had first stopped her. A very sour taste sat on the back of her tongue and her stomach curled as she slowly looked up at Severus even though she was terrified to do so.

“Where did you go when you left the hospital ward?” He drawled, there were spikes beneath his tongue and if Lilian didn't tread carefully she'd be impaled on them. It didn't help the fact that she was torn, should she tell him? Or Lie? She dropped her gaze shamefully.

“I went to the library.” She mumbled to her tattered robes.

“The restricted section?” He hissed, she could feel his nails dig into her robes but only felt confusion as she looked up at him.

“No, whats the Restricted Section?” She asked curiously, and stiffly, her shoulder aching. He seemed to sigh, either in irritation or relief she couldn't tell, but his grip loosened.. He still looked very angry.

“and why did you go to the library?” It seemed to her that he already knew the answer and was just tormenting her with having to say it. She looked to her ragged robes again.

“I wanted to know more, about p-parseltongue.” She answered meekly, barely daring to sneak a glance at him.

“And why, do you find this information so valuable that you've been acting like a sneak to get your hands on it?” He said it softly, reminding her of the snakes tone, and cruelly. She felt her insides twang, the pain resonating and her eyes prickling. She sniffed, knowing he'd want an answer quickly or she'd receive another cruel reprimand from him.

“I can... I can speak it.” She whispered, lifting her head but avoiding his gaze. Her body was tense waiting for something, a rough smack, or a cutting tone. Finally she looked at him, his face was pale, paler than usual and his eyes were drawn. Then, his voice and pose stiff he spoke:

“Show me.” A weird sensation travelled through her, was it relief? Worry? Other than that one time she'd never spoken to a snake before, maybe she couldn't do it again? That panic nearly overwhelmed her for a moment as she played nervously with her robes. Then finally she began concentrating, her face crinkling with it. A frown and her mouth pressed into a petulant looking line.

“I'm hungry, and tired..” She stated, realizing that after the first bump of deciding what to say it was relatively easy to call the harsh language to her lips. Severus' eyes flashed making her wary again in an instant. Was he mad at her again? He composed himself quickly, glancing around them as if he was worried someone was watching. Silently he led her closer to Hagrid's hut before stopping her again, as soon as they were a little further from the school. He turned her to face him, his black wells of eyes boring into her green ones which stared up at him, desperate to understand. His hands rested on both of her shoulder's and she knew that whatever he was about to say was serious.

“You must never speak parseltongue again.” He said slowly, letting the seriousness in his tone and expression settle into her. “ Do you understand? You must never speak of it to anyone Lillian.” Her expression crumpled a little. She wanted so badly to ask why, why shouldn't she? Why could she speak it? But the longer he stared into her eyes the more her resolve crumbled. Severus would never hurt her, if he was telling her not to do something it was for her own good. Lillian nodded, keeping her bright green eyes on Severus' black ones.

“Yes Severus.” she answered quietly, the fire behind her dim eyes smouldering as she submitted in obedience.

Lily wondered about parseltongue. She wondered, as she lay beneath a thick furry blanket in Hagrids hut, about who Tom Riddle was. She wondered if maybe he was her real father. She didn't remember much about how she came to Severus's care, only that she did, but she was not his daughter. Severus's words lay her hungry curiosity at rest that day, but it was not because of the absolution in which she felt obedient to him, but rather she was reminded of time. Time that slipped by her now, changing her and giving her mind growth. Time would soon find her fit enough to become a student of Hogwarts and in time she'd have her answers. Of that she was positive and found peace in.

On her Eleventh birthday Severus himself handed her the warm parchment envelope containing her admittance to Hogwarts. She smiled at him shyly daring to give him a quick hug. Severus accepted the hug fairly well all considering. Then there was shopping, Diagon ally was a place Lily always wished she could stay longer. Three parts of the day stood out for being the best, or exciting moments. Getting her new robes fitted, She was positively thrilled, not to have to wear Severus's ancient hand-me-downs anymore. Then when she got her wand, that took nearly half the day on its own, finally a wand found her fit enough. A maple, slightly flexible and resilient, its core was Runespoor Fang. The old man made Lily uneasy as he peered at her, her body still warmed by the acceptance of the wand.

“Maple wood, good for Charms and defensive magic, the core if I do remember correctly is a runespoor fang, quite rare and best for those who deal with dark magic.” His voice finished ominously as his bright blue eyes pierced her. Severus noticed Lily shifting in discomfort and intervened.

“How much is the wand?” He drawled in boredom.

Once outside of the stuffy, dusty shop Lily regained her excitement, revelling of the feel of the wand in her hand. The wand was Lily's last stop but Severus had 'other' places to get to, mainly those places were in knockturn ally which meant Lily was to left to browse flourish and blotts. As Severus left, a harsh wind blew cold from the door carrying a sound.

'Away, AWAY!' The voice screamed, looking around lily noticed no-one else seemed disturbed or even able to hear it. Stroking her wand in her pocket and ducking her head out of the shop Lily checked for Severus's back in the crowd. Not finding the tall shadowy cloaked figure lily felt safe enough to leave to search for the sound. She had a suspicion of what it was, but she wasn't positive just yet. She followed the aggravated noises across the bustling street and down a shop. Boys laughter boomed out, snuffing out the cries for a moment, the small crowd in a tight group in front of an owl cage. Lily crept carefully behind the other boys, standing on her tiptoes to see over their shoulders without alerting them.

'Nooo! Away, AWAY!!' The snake in the bottom of the cage hissed, dodging the great spotted birds feet and beak. It was obvious the snake was young and terrified. Magic barricaded it inside the cage while the boys guffawed. Anger of injustice burned Lily fiercely, taking out her wand she did what came naturally to her and flicked it.

The cage exploded.

The bird screeching as the sides of it burst open, clawing the air madly in confusion and anger. It one of its talons the snake dangled, the other attacked the boys faces. They yelled, ducking their heads and stumbling over each other against the beat of feathers and claws. Lily backed up as one of the boys drew his wand and the bird screeched, deflected by his magic and veering towards Lily. Lily yelped, ducking down and feeling air gust of the birds great wings around her along with a disoriented hiss. The snake landed around her neck feeling cool and heavy, it held onto her with all its might, burying itself smartly into her hair as the owl flew away. Before the boys could collect themselves enough to realize who did what Lily disappeared in the crowd, breathing heavily and slipping into an ally for privacy against the onslaught of people. The snake too seemed to be catching its breath while wrapped around her neck. As quietly as possible she began talking under her breath.

'You okay?' She hissed quietly and she felt movement.

'Whats that?'

'I'm the one whose neck your draped around... are you alright?' She mumbled pretending to cough into her fist as a particularly large group of people walked by.

'A human, very curious... and what is it you want human?' It asked and Lily was confused.

'Want?' She blinked, feeling the snake slither over her shoulder, its head swaying uneasily in mid air as its eyes pierced her.

'A debt is to be repaid human, call on me when you wisssh to repay it..” It hissed mysteriously, dropping off her shoulder onto the ground and slithering into the darkness. Lillian licked her lips, her momentarily calmed heart beat spiking as yells ensued from the mouth of the ally.

“Hey! I fink she went this way!” A boys voice surged above the discerning murmurs of the crowd and Lily paled, her stomach and lungs squeezing in panic. She thought she'd made it but obviously- Her heart throbbed realizing she'd have to make another run for it. Her feet slapped against the cold stones beneath her feet as she surged ahead through the crowd, only concentrating on menuvering through the throngs of people and keeping her head down – if she could just get to Flourish and-. A dark figure stopped her in her tracks and her stomach dropped, her small fists clenching beneath her robes and her head dizzy with terror.

“Well hello there.” She blinked, realizing in a rush that the voice was not Severus's, no this voice was smooth, that of a honey toothed snake.

“Um hello.” She replied, playing with the fringes of her robe and staring up at the pale man who loomed above her, his ice blue eyes filled with his own curiosity. Unnerved by his seeming to recognize her her cheeks became flushed. “D- do you know me sir?” she asked, clearing her quiet voice feebly.

“Yes, of course, forgive me, I'm Lucius Malfoy.” His eyes sparked as he bent to her level, offering her his gloved hand. His eyes were blue like Dumbledore's but not nearly as... kind. Becoming even redder in the cheeks she placed her small pale hand into his which he kissed lightly. “And you are Lillian, I'm an old friend of Severus's.” He drawled adding a sweetened curl around his lips, His ice blue eyes seeming to try and suck her into his narrowed pupils. She smiled carefully, nervously, she didn't like being like this... out in the open, and not to mention the ice blue eyes that were steadily soaking her in were slightly... creepy... maybe he did remind her of Dumbledore a little bit... always watching her. She shuddered. Allowing a small smile she swallowed tilting her head to the side and nibbling her lip as she eased her hand from his.

“Severus has never mentioned you before... he doesn't have many friends.” She said quietly green eyes glittering in quiet unease. I need to get back to flourish and blotts before-

“Lucius.” His voice dripped venom and Lilian felt the shrill of panic as she was boxed between the two. Lucius stood, the curl in his mouth turning into a sour twitch downwards. The look in his eyes as he looked at Severus.. it made her take a step back, Severus's hand closing on her shoulder, whether in comfort or simply to hold her in place she wasn't sure but it did comfort her. Swallowing again, this time a larger lump she shifted as close to him as she could, staring at the ground as Lucius sneered something before turning his gaze to lily.

“It was a pleasure meeting you young Lillian.” He offered coolly, turning just as a severe looking blonde woman exited flourish and blots a young white haired boy with chubby cheeks and a dutiful pout being tugged beside her. “Come now my dear.” She took his elbow when it was offered, sending an airy stiff glance of curiosity, or acknowledgement in Severus's direction. When she saw Lillian she scowled, her head snapping to her husbands ear, her mouth a flurry with hissed words. Lillian went back to staring sheepishly at the floor until they disappeared fully.

“Lillian, what did I tell you to do while I was running errands?” He asked her in clipped, disapproving tones, and she felt his black eyes boring down on the top of her head and she pressed her mouth into a firm line before forming a suitable answer.

“I- to wait in the shop until you come back.” She sighed in defeat.

“and what have you been doing?” He pressed, tone harsh.

“I- I heard something outside... I'm sorry I won't do it again.” She whispered, sneaking a small fleeting glance at his expression. She was relieved to see he didn't look mad really.. just annoyed. Hopefully at that Malfoy bloke than me. It seemed she was right because he simply pursed his lips momentarily and nodded slightly.

“Very well, as long as you never disobey me again.” Her shoulders drooped in relief and she smiled sheepishly, nodding eagerly, bright green eyes blinking up at his dark pools.

“Okay, can we go home now daddy?”

Daddy.

Both child and man froze fractionally, both eyes sheering off in different directions suddenly. Her cheeks red Lily stared at the ground mortified.. she hadn't called him dad since... well a long time ago and that had been when she was disoriented and now... it had just slipped out. She bit her tongue shamefully, Severus clearing his throat suddenly.

“Shall we return home then, Lily?” His tone startled her and she looked up to his face but he was looking straight ahead, straight ahead. Warmth flooded her as well as sheepish embarrassment, biting her lip and taking the remainder of her courage she grabbed his cool large pale hand wrapping her smaller hand firmly there.

I suppose the third most exciting part of her day was obvious. Lily smiled with a quiet sigh.
♠ ♠ ♠
UPDATED, WOW ! sorry guys, really, and thank you so much for commenting! I haven't been on this site for awhile and I'm really surprised coming back that there have been a pick up in veiwers and favoritors! wow thanks really! I hope you guys like this chapter too! its a bit fluffy :P and a little bit of a teaser for whats to come too! (damned Lucius !!) XP