Status: completed!

Fiend

Writing on the Walls

April 6th, 2013; 2:00 PM


I received a phone call today from Chi Chi’s manager, Dennis. He was asking me what had happened to Jason and why he wouldn’t show up for work. I was guessing that the news didn’t reach that side of the city yet. So I told Dennis about Jason’s arrest and he freaked out.

“How could this have happened? My business is lacking hostesses now!” His breathing was heavy, as if he would have passed out any second.

“Well I wouldn’t be able to tell you all of the details. I have very limited information about the event myself.” I lied. But I was covering for Jason. The rest of the school had no idea what actually happened. Jason broke down, became a completely different person, threatened to kill his best friend with the help of his other high team mates, that I was the one who stopped the whole ordeal…

“I can’t have a lack of staff,” Dennis sighed. “Marina, please, come back to work.”

I was shocked with his offer. Dennis was a hard-ass manager; once you left or got fired, he never reconsidered you again. But of course I wanted the job back because I was dirt poor and breaking into my savings account daily that was meant for my departure from that terrible city.

I took his offer and he declared that I would start the next week, on Monday. I was ready. It was time to start over.

Later that day, I heard a car horn blaring through my bedroom window. Curious, I peered outside to see Liam waving up to me. My eyes grew wide and I was in turmoil over what to do. I was a shoe in on the weekends because of my very controlling and manipulative father. He wouldn’t allow me to go outside, unless it was to school or work. The only reason I got out last Saturday was because my father was away on a business trip.

But he was home now and I knew he was downstairs, reading his newspaper and drinking his coffee like he did every day until it was 12 AM, where he was certain I would not try to escape. I was trapped but if Liam didn’t stop honking, my father would become upset and that meant trouble for the both of us.

I kept performing hand signals to tell Liam to stop. He didn’t understand them though and continued to persist. Then I knew it was over. My father stepped out of our front door, a plastered smile on his face.

“Excuse me young man, but why are you obnoxiously blaring your horn out front of my house?” My father had a twinge of annoyance in his voice.

“I was trying to see-“

I cut Liam off as I busted open the front door. My frilly pajamas were in plain sight and my hair was in a messy ponytail. I was the true definition of embarrassment, not for myself but for my father. He looked back at me and with his eyes wide, ordered me to go back inside the house.

“No.” I couldn’t believe I had finally said that word to him.

No, I will not obey you for once. I will not listen and do as you say. No, fuck you for once.

“What did you just say to me?” I could tell from his voice that he was appalled, furious at me for just saying that to him.

“I said no. I want to see my friend.” I proceeded down the stairs. My father was only inches from me.

I knew that burning inside of him was a desire to slap me across my “worthless” face. He was battling an internal war within himself. He didn’t want to go to jail because this time there was a witness but he also didn’t want me to get the last word in this argument either. I was done being scared of him. He was only a shell of a man. He didn’t deserve to be a father, my father.

“Well your friend has to go.” My father tried to shoo Liam away.

“No I don’t.” Liam had no idea what was going on but I didn’t want for him to get hurt on my account. I was not going to allow my father to control anyone any longer.

“If you knew what was good for you, you would leave.” My father threatened.

“He does know what is good for him, and it’s all right here dearest dad. It’s for him, for someone, to finally witness what a father figure you are to me. What you truly mean to me.” I was toe to toe with my father now. I looked him in his careless eyes.

“You’re scum to me. Like dirt on the bottom of my shoe, you mean absolutely nothing to me.” I hissed and as vile as it sounds, I spit in his face. I deserved to do it after all the torment he put me through.

He grabbed me by the arm and squeezed hard, “Well guess what bitch, you mean nothing to me too!”

Liam ran over to help me as my father was getting ready to slap me across my face, “Stop, don’t put your hands on her!”

“What are you going to, son?” My father laughed.

“Fight me.” Liam commanded, his fists were clenched tight.

“You’re serious? I don’t think you know who you’re messing with!”

“Leave him alone! You know you would rather hurt me than him!” I punched his arm to get his focus back to me.

My father let go of my arm and pushed me onto the ground, “you stay out of this!”

“Throw the first punch! I dare you!” Liam shouted.

I immediately got up and forced myself to separate them, “No, this will not happen!”
My father paused and then chuckled, “Come on, let’s go back inside.”

“No. I told you I was going out with my friend.”

“Dressed like that? You won’t.” My father walked back into the house.

I contemplated on if I should have rushed back into my house to get changed. But I knew if I went back inside, my father would be waiting for me. It wasn’t safe anymore. Liam discovered too much about my home life. I couldn’t go back inside. It was no longer my home.

So I turned around to Liam. He had a concerned expression present on his face.

I took a deep breath, “I need a favor.”
♠ ♠ ♠
We walk alone, back home.
My own back home

- Underoath

I am updating slowly but surely! I am writing new chapters as I type this. Hope you like it! What do you think will happen to Marina?

Comment/Rate/Subscribe!