Beautiful Disaster

Prom Night

Isabella looked in the mirror. Then back at the locket. At the mirror again. Locket. Mirror. Locket.
She couldn't believe this.
She looked almost exactly like her mother.
Perfect.That would make her father miss her even more when he went away.
She put the locket on the dresser and put on the new necklace. This was the first time in years that the locket had come off. She put on the old bracelet. And then she stuck the mask to her face. It wasn't a mask with a band-this one had a gel that stuck to the face without removing makeup. The color of the dress made her skin look darker. She was gorgeous, better than the Quinceanera.
She grabbed her purse and dropped a small watch into it. She put in her iPhone, some extra makeup, and the card from her father.
She picked up the locket again. "I'll see you at seven, Daddy." She kissed it, careful not to smudge lipstick on the smooth gold.
She rushed into the limo.
The only reason she was goning to Prom at all was because her father had given her the dress. She always used anything her father gave her.
She got to the park and out of the car. It was an outdoor prom, in the center of a beautiful garden.The music was booming. People were already on the dance floor, with their dates and friends. Everyone's face was covered by a mask. She had no idea what to do. She had no date, she didn't know where her friends were, or who was who. This was a terrible idea. She shouldn't have come.
She spent about twnety minutes wandering, gulping down punch and shoveling in cookies. she looked at people's eyes discreetly to see if she knew them. Green, blue, brown, but no one she recognized.
A slow song came on. This was torture. there were people in love everywhere. She dug into her purse and looked at the watch. Five o' clock. Two hours of this. She couldn't deal with it. Even if she was named prom queen, she couldn't do it. She had to leave, right now. She headed for the stonehenge shaped climbing rose trellis and started to leave. A hand grabbed her shoulder. She turned around.
"Wanna dance?"
Deep gray eyes stared back at her. She didn't even know who it was. The gray was steely and firm, yet soft and warm and sincere. She had never seen them before. "S-Sure." She said.
The whole night, she stared into his eyes. She was lost in the specks of blue, the ring of black, and the ocean of gray in his irises. She wished she had eyes that beautiful. Hers were just a simple brown, such a common color. She had been told so many times that her eyes were beautiful and different, but they were brown. How many people had brown eyes? It was a dominant gene!
For the first time in her life, she felt insecure about her appearance. Did the dress make her look fat? Too skinny? Did it match her skin tone? Was there too much jewelery? Did she have mascara boogers? Was too much of her cleavage showing? Did her butt look big? Did her hair look dry?
But besides the insecurity, she felt like she had found something worth living for. She felt like gold. She felt like she was flying. Like she could stare into those beautiful gray eyes forever and not once get bored.
They danced all night, even when the songs got fast. They danced slowly, never looking away from eachother. They talked about everything, laughing and flirting, having the best time.
Then there was silence again. When Isabella least expected it, the boy leaned forward and softly kissed her red lips.
Isabella felt like she had died.
He pulled away.
"My parents would kill me if they found out about that. I'm not allowed to date until college."
"That su- wait..."
Isabella thought.
"My father!"
She broke out of her trance and, without another word, ran.
"Wait!" The boy shouted. "I don't even know your name!" He grabbed her wrist. "Who are you?"
"No time!" She yanked herself away from him and ran at top speed to the limo.
"Go as fast as you can! Now!" the limo sped away. She glanced back to see the Gray Eyes waving his fist in the air. He was mad? He couldn't be...She saw something sparkle where his hand was. She shook it away; it was just her imagination.
She jumped out of the limo when they got to her estate. she saw a dark figure on the doorstep.
"Daddy!" She screamed at the top of her lungs. She ran as fast as her stilletto heels would let her into his arms. His warmth surrounded her. She inhaled the scent of him that she had missed so much.
"Isabella..." He said. "Oh my God..." She looked up at his face. It was more wrinkly than it was in the oicture, and his hair was white, every speck of black gone.
"You look beautiful. Let me see your face." Isabella peeled off the mask. He father stepped back in amazement. "I can't believe I've missed all this."
"It's okay, Daddy."
He held her for a long time. Isabella had no complaints.
"So how was Prom?" He asked. "Find your true love?"
Isabella immediately thought of Gray Eyes. "Maybe." She said. She looked down at her feet. And then she realized what she was missing.
She stared at her wrist.
It was bare.
Her bracelet was gone.
Gray Eyes had it.
And she didn't know who he was.