Fallen For You

Fallen For you

Srallerina flew down the long silent hallways, her feather wings flapped anxiously. The angel’s golden hair whipped in the wind, her elegant silver gown flowed behind her. She should be sleeping in her room, especially there was a war was going on, but her concern over another important matter left her wide awake. Srallerina’s speed increased with each passing minute, fearing that the sentries might discover his arrival before her.

She clutched the letter in her hand, her knuckles turning white. The rough paper was crushed by her inhuman strength, its content barely visible. The arch-angel narrowed her eyes—pupil-less orbs of the purest blue, the unique symbol of her race that separated them from mortals and demons, also the mark of her ranking—worry coloring them. The sudden letter from her secret lover brought her unease, and irritation, which was a rare emotion in her own race, not to mention a highly trained general such as herself, but she couldn’t help it. Her lover’s action was simply too reckless. It might cost his life, or worse, eternal torment.

The sentries—both clad in midnight blue pants and blouses, starlight plates covered their slim yet well curved figures, with black gloves and knee-length boots; a misty gray cape secured by the moonstone broach. Amethyst locks danced beneath their blue helmet, which was decorated by silver arcs—stared forward, their silver eyes unblinking. They muttered their greetings to Srallerina when she passed by them, bowing in respect without any unnecessary expression. The general nodded in reply and flew out of the tall golden gates.

True, angels were indeed immortals that were goodhearted and delicate with their never-waning courtesy. However, they were not always kind as the legends spoke of. They were well-mannered yet unbelievably strict, trained to expect nothing but perfection. Their minds and ways were as old as their age, though it did lead them to their goal; it also rid them some emotions in turn.

On the other hand, Srallerina too was trained the same way. In fact, she used to be one of the star students, but she had changed.

Since she met him.

The general came to a stop by the edge of the silver clouds, waiting for the boy who had sent the letter in this unearthly hour. She smoothed the wrinkles on her silken moonlight gown gently with a wave of her hand, perfecting her already flawless appearance, as if it wasn’t good enough. Minutes had passed, yet he had not arrived. Srallerina began to lose her patience as she recounted the stars that had come out tonight.

…Eleven, twelve…

Impatience had always been Srallerina’s only fault. Luckily she wasn’t hot-tempered, which was a plus. Even so, it didn’t prevent her from leaving as he was late for thirty minutes, something that felt like seconds to most angels, but unacceptable to the angel general. She held the crushed paper with even more force, the emotion of—what humans called—anger, was starting to surface. Srallerina closed her eyes as she thought about this situation, debating was it a prank or not.

Her eyes jerked open as two arms suddenly slipped around her waist, yanking her against the captor. Blue flare surrounded her hands immediately out of reflex, ready to attack whoever touched her in such a way. She decided hurting her captor might be a good way to release her frustration. The holy light shone brighter, responding to its mistress’ rather sinful thoughts.

‘Whoa, calm down, babe.’

Srallerina dismissed her powers as soon as she heard her captor’s voice, regardless how she wanted to hit him. Her eyes narrowed into dangerous slits in infuriation. She turned around, facing the man who was responsible for this meeting. Ruby cat-like eyes twinkled with glee, angular face of the best sculpture, a smug smile hung on his thin lips, adding mischief to his handsome features.

Despite her captor’s inhuman good looks, he and she were not the same race. He was the prince of the dark force, while she was a soldier of the light; he wore a crimson and gold robe, while she wore a white gown; he had dark leather wings while she had white feathery wings.

He was a demon. She was an angel. They couldn’t be together, yet they were.

‘You’re thirty minutes late.’ Srallerina said, emphasizing the last word. ‘And don’t call me babe.’ She added, seeing that his annoying smirk refused to leave his face.

Drake either ignored her words or pretended he didn’t hear them, for his smile widened, instead of disappearing. He tugged Srallerina closer to him, even though she was squirming uncomfortably, and rested his head on her small shoulder, inhaling her heavenly scent of lavender and roses.

‘Have I ever told you…that you smell nice?’ he murmured softly.

Blood rushed to her cheeks, she rolled her eyes.

‘Yes, you have. And you’re still late.’ She scoffed, trying not to stutter. Srallerina refused to show him that she was affected by his closeness, albeit her face was as red as his bright orbs. Her pride as an angel general didn’t allow her to do so.

The demon heir raised one of his eye brows, highly amused. ‘You’re blushing, again.’ Drake muttered in her ear, teasing the already embarrassed angel one last time before pulling himself away, looking at the celestial being. ‘Did you expect me to be on time? I am a demon.’

Srallerina couldn’t help but to sigh at his pathetic excuse of an explanation. He knew she disliked waiting, and she knew he did that on purpose. And he knew she didn’t want to be reminded of their different status. Nonetheless, she changed the topic.

‘Why did you call for me at this time? It’s dangerous!’ Srallerina whispered, her words were barely audible even with the immortals’ enhanced hearing, in fear some night patrols might overhear their conversation.

The angel frowned as Drake’s expressions turned solemn.

‘I’ve been thinking about…us. And I think that this isn’t working.’

Srallerina froze as she recalled what was written on the now ruined piece of paper, everything made more sense to her. That was why he had to meet her in urgent. Recognition and disappointment flitted across her face.

No…

Cursing inwardly—another thing an average angel would not do—she subconsciously bit her bottom lip, showing her poorly hidden confusion. Srallerina thought about all those years, centuries, she had observed the mortal world whenever there was peace, specifically human race, about the issue of love. She remembered the conclusion she made eons ago.

Not every story has a happy ending.

Still holding her in his arms, Drake wondered what the girl’s thoughts were as he saw her face wringed from surprise to sadness. He didn’t have a single clue about them. The demon was totally and utterly lost.

‘Rina?’ He said, using the nickname he gave her.

‘…Drake,’ Srallerina managed to utter through the lump in her throat, and was taken aback by her shaky voice. She inhaled deeply and cleared her throat. ‘Drake, I…I don’t—It’s just that I…’ She shut up when she realized she wasn’t making any sense, like an idiot.
‘Rina?’ Drake asked again.

‘…Yes?’

‘Listen, I’m tired of sneaking around, although it is fun. I figured that…’ Drake paused in his sentence, looking away from Srallerina’s crestfallen face. He didn’t bother to ask her what the problem was, he knew better than asking a female—demons, angels and mortals alike— what’s on her mind since the only answer he had, and would, ever received was: It’s nothing. He sighed.

‘I figured that I should take you with me instead.’

Blue orbs widened. Did she hear him right? He wanted to take her to the Underworld, the land of demons where her life was as stake since she was an angel, not to mention the general of the angels’ armies? Had he lost his mind, or was this his kind of a joke? Srallerina looked at her lover with disbelief.

‘Drake, you can’t possibly do that! I can’t—’ Another thought struck her suddenly, making Srallerina for once in her immortal life, speechless. ‘You can’t be serious…’

‘That’s the only way, Rina.’

‘But—’

‘Surrender yourself, demon!’

Lights came out from nowhere and everywhere, blinding the lovers momentarily. Drake shielded themselves with his large bat wings. He closed his eyes and cursed out loud. The demon turned to Srallerina for explanation, believing that she was responsible for this, to set a trap to capture him. If he, the prince of demons, was held hostage by the angels, it would increase the chance of winning this long-lasting war, and end it once and for all.
With the angels as the victors.

Feeling betrayed (by an angel, no less), he glared at the angel general, demanding for answers. However, his anger vanished and his intense gaze softened because he knew it was not his beloved’s fault, judging by her reactions toward this—her peachy skin lost its colors, making her as pale as her feather wings, azure eyes widened with fear, while her lips trembled and her entire body was shaking like a dying leaf in autumn.

For a brief moment, the emotion of sympathy dwelled in his heart.

Run, Drake. Srallerina wrote in his left hand that was around her waist, staring back at her lover. He had to flee now, or it would be too late. Even if she was not able to see how many angels were closing on them, she knew they were not mere night patrols. The bright light gave her hints about the approaching angels. They were of high ranks, no doubt about it. Worse, she suspected that it wasn’t just any troops, but hers, and they were the elites of the celestial armies.

‘Flee while you still can.’ She whispered even softer than before.

The demon smirked. ‘Not without you.’

Before Srallerina could oppose, she was soaring in the skies besides the demon, her hand was clasped firmly in Drake’s. She wanted to struggle, to return to the realm where she belonged, but she knew she could never do that again, not after they had seen her with the heir of Underworld in her ordinary garments, unarmed. There were only two ways for her. She could either go to the Underworld with Drake like how he had planned, or surrender herself to the angels. By choosing the later solution, she would be able to buy some time for him, even if it would last no longer the a few seconds. Yet, it also indicated she would face a trial, a punishment. Although Srallerina didn’t know what kind of penalty she would face, she understood it would be harsh.

Horns blared behind them, figures began to appear. Fortunately, the space between the troop and them expanded as the chase continued. Drake let a victorious grin covered his face. Maybe he could escape from the angels.

A beam of energy shot by Drake’s head unexpectedly, missing by mere millimeters. Bringing his free hand to where the angel had missed, he felt the stinging pain on his cheek, blood trickled down. He could imagine what would happen if the light had hit him. Cursing in his native tongue, he shouted mentally at himself for being careless, a mistake that should not occur.

Srallerina did not feel the threatening heat as Drake did, but she was able to comprehend the situation was getting dire. She was aware that they were being attacked by her friends, and her dear one would suffer from heavy injuries soon…providing if he survived this assault. She had to make her choice quickly, or she wouldn’t have any.

More lights were fired by their pursuers, whizzing pass the lovers. The numbers increased rapidly. Drake dodged skillfully from the holy lights, he remained uninjured by flying in circles and curves. But, it was slowing his progress, giving the angels a fatal opportunity for accurate aims.

Drake shot his own beam of energy. Magical dark violet flames struck the leading angel in the chest, sending her backwards. Rainbow colors of lights were fired more aggressively after a few of them had fallen because of Drake’s attack. He didn’t want to fight, knowing the odds were against him to the verge of nonexistence.

He pulled Srallerina closer to him. She was still refused to move, probably because she was too shocked by the sudden turn of events, he assumed. Looking at her, a selfish thought occurred. Even as a traitor, angels would never hit one of their own, unless they had already gone through a trial hosted by the elders. Now the angel general was in his hands, he could use her as a shield. Surely the attack would stop…

‘Drake…’

Srallerina’s musical voice broke his demonic thoughts. He remembered she was the reason he had risked so much. If he lost Srallerina, what was the point for all the drama? The innocent angel was what he had desired, his obsession, his prized possession. She was his, and he was to protect her instead of using her as a pawn like how he used to treat others.

‘Look!’ Srallerina pointed at something ahead of them. She flapped her wings, flying besides Drake, their hands linked.

The angel general stared in wonder at the magnificent view. They had descended from the angels’ kingdom and reached the mortal world. The sun began to wake from its slumber. Gone was the inky darkness, the raging seas were coated by the morning fog. She shivered, sensing the evilness around this place. It wasn’t ordinary, or natural. Srallerina peeked at her love, who was chanting in words of demons. It was then she recognized this foul place.

The Gate to the Underworld.

The fog began to rise from the surface of the sea, lifting into the air. Small black sparks materialized and danced on the sea, bit by bit, forming a shimmering portal. Srallerina kept glancing behind, in fear that the pursuers would notice them. She knew they were hidden from their sight by the fog, but they would bump into them by chance, no matter how slim it was. She prayed that they would getaway. The angel took another look at the sweating demon.

At least, bring him to safety.

Gritting his teeth, he sped up his work. The fog was fading, they would soon be revealed. He chanted faster with obvious anxiety. The portal grew brighter and darker at the same time. With just a little more, their escape would be ensured.

The worried angel looked fixedly at the peaceful mist. Her hands were surrounded by the blue flames, ready to fight for her lover, regardless who would be the opponent. She heard wings and breathing sounds.

They grew closer yet.

Closer…

Srallerina dared not to breathe. Now, save for Drake’s continuous chanting, the surroundings were so quiet that it brought her memories back to after every battles. The angels would remain quiet because they were taught to be so, even when there was a victory. Blood and battle scars washed the ground, and paint it with never-fading pain. They had once again defeated the demons, but there was no happiness behind her blue orbs. What joy could she possibly find when there was blood-shed and life lost?

No, concentrate, Srallerina, she told herself, bringing her mind back to the present. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead, tickling down her face.

A shadow materialized in front of the duo. Srallerina barely held back a gasp. She held her breath, her muscle grew tense, preparing for any kind of assault she was going to face.

‘I have finally found you, demon!’ the shadow announced in a tone which Srallerina recognized immediately.

‘Sister!’ She shouted, catching the intruder’s attention.

‘Srallerina?’ The voice asked, moving closer to the Angel General.

A petite heart-shaped face appeared first, light blue eyes shone through the thick mist. Her petal-like lips were opened in surprise, shock written all over her delicate features. She was dressed in full-battle attire—forest-green armor with golden-lining running down her waist, pastel yellow under dress, and a helmet with a similar design that of the armor— in contradiction of Srallerina’s shabby clothing.

‘Sister? What happened?’ Mellinia observed her sister’s state, and her grungy dress. ‘Where’s your armor? What…’ She widened her sky blue eyes as a thought came to her. ‘He tried to kidnap you as a hostage, as a shield…’ The frightened angel whispered.

‘No, it’s not like that, Mel—’

‘Foul demon, how dare you attempt to kidnap my sister!’ Mellinia screamed, raising her hands above her head. Green light focused in her fists, growing larger with every passing second.

‘It’s done,’ Drake rasped.

Srallerina turned to look at her lover, who was covered in sweat and was thoroughly exhausted. He did not stand a chance against Mellinia in such a state. She had to defend him.

‘Drake, look out!’

Drake ducked just in time for the light beams to miss him, albeit narrowly. He stared up at Srallerina and gave her a nod before turning his concentration to her sister who was floating next to her. He snarled, red eyes changed into black.

‘Sister, why—’ Mellinia was cut off in the middle of her sentence as she was attacked, throwing her away.

‘Let’s go, babe,’ Drake held out his hand to her, panting. He was already pushed to his limits, Srallerina could tell, since it required a large amount of energy to open the Gate by force, and judging by his physical condition, he would faint before long.

‘Come with me, Rina.’ He begged.

‘Sister…’ Mellinia coughed weakly. ‘How could you…?’

‘Hurry!’

‘Srallerina…’

She looked at both of her precious ones with guilt and worry, but there wasn’t any other choice. Time was running out, and she had none to waste. There was only one way for her, one solution.

The Angel General raised her hand, her palm facing her lover. Bright light surrounded her fingers, pulsing with every movement.

‘I’m sorry,’ she murmured. Srallerina lowered her head, regret filled her heart.

‘No, Rina,’ Drake uttered, entirely flabbergasted by her change of heart. ‘Don’t do this to me…’ Don’t betray me, Rina, anyone but you.

Mellinia’s lips curved upward at the demon’s distress, and also at her sister right decision. She was, after all, the Angel General, it would not do anyone good to underestimate her loyalty to the Celestial side. She was proud of her sister, who had earned the rank of General quicker than anyone had ever achieved. She would always make the right choice.

Always.

‘Finish him, sister,’ Mellinia encouraged.

The mist had finally lifted, exposing the trio to the rest of the angels’ party. They circled Srallerina, Mellinia, and Drake, watching them closely, anticipating their General’s next move, though most were confused why she was out there in ragged garments.

‘I’m sorry,’ Srallerina repeated. She granted him a gentle smile, something she had graced a selected few. ‘Stay safe. I love you.’

Realization struck Drake hard, he was stunned. Quickly, he regained his composure, ‘Are you crazy? You’ll never survive! Stop being so childish and come with me to the Underworld.’
‘I can’t, Drake. It is decided.’ Srallerina raised her head, a lone tear escape her eyes. ‘Farewell, my love.’

‘No!’

But it was too late. Srallerina sent a powerful light beams towards him, and hit him right in the middle of his chest, pushing him into the portal behind. He was powerless against Srallerina’s strong attack. His energy was drained and he couldn’t fly back to his love. ‘Rina!’

Srallerina stared at her lover, falling deeper into his world, where he belonged. Her held her gaze on his shrinking figure, and watched him until the portal had completely closed, so that she could no longer see him. This was their farewell.

No one moved, they were all shocked by the sudden turn of event.

‘Nooo!’ Mellinia yelled, echoing Drake’s word, and succeeding in pulling everyone out of their trance. How could her sister let him escape? She couldn’t believe it, even if she had seen it with her own eyes.

The angels soldiers enclosed on Srallerina. Some were confused, some were enraged, yet none mattered to Srallerina. Her love was safe in his homeland, and that was all she could ever ask for.

She closed her eyes as her world turned black.

Mellinia wandered in the deserted hallways. She couldn’t understand her sister. She hurried down the corridor, as she was late to the trial of her sister. Her mind travelled back to the conversation they had shared a few hours ago.

‘Why did you let him go, sister? You should’ve killed him right there and then. It is our duty, our responsibility to rid the world of evil.’ Mellinia tried to reason with her now imprisoned sister.

Srallerina sat on the floor, staring at her sister with dull eyes. She gave no response to any comment or gesture from Mellinia, which was beginning to frustrate her. Her golden locks were muddy and clung onto Srallerina’s face. Her once beautiful silver dress was no better than a tattered piece of cloth.

‘Have you lost your mind? Oh, what are we going to do? The trial will start in a few hours, and there are many witnesses against you, sister.’ Mellinia paced around in nervousness. She was not a star student like Srallerina once was, she had more unnecessary emotions than the angel army required. She nearly failed graduation because of this. And she loved her sister too much to leave her alone, even when she did not care for her life, Mellinia did.

The younger sister questioned what had happened to her beloved sister. In her eyes, she was also the best of the best, the elite among all the Generals despite her age, yet she gave up everything for the loathsome demon.

‘…Nothing.’

‘What?’ Mellinia spun around, and glared at her sister. ‘What do mean by nothing? I’m not going to give up like you did, sister. I won’t let you die!’

‘Then tell me, Mel, how can you stop them from sentencing me to death when there are so many eye-witnesses? Bribe them? Kill them?’ she let out a dry chuckle. ‘None of it will work. There’s nothing you can do for me…’

‘Yes there is!’ Mellinia insisted. ‘You can plea for innocence, and explain that you had not expect he survive your attack—’

‘Do you really think the Conclave and the judicature to believe in that pathetic cover-up? I am an Angel General, not a freshman, Mel. I should know whether the attack can or cannot kill the target.’ Srallerina finished quietly.

‘What should I do, then?’ Mellinia snapped. Her light blue eyes darkened in anger. ‘Tell me!’ she screamed. ‘What should I do?’

‘Tell them the truth. I let Drake go and deserve to die.’

‘For the last time we will not tell that to the judicature! They will surely send you to death…’ Mellinia trailed off, kneeling in front of the bars. ‘I can’t let them do that. First, our brother, and now, you too…’ she wept. Tears fell from her eyes nonstop, staining her creamy dress.
A soft hand patted Mellinia’s head. She looked at her sister, who was crouching before her. She smiled kindly, like how Mellinia loved so much about. Srallerina’s caress brought comfort to her.

Srallerina kissed her forehead softly. ‘Be brave, Mellinia. I know you are strong enough to face it.’

‘Sister…’ Mellinia wanted to cry in her arms as if she was still an infant. She had missed the kind and caring sister before the days of war and destruction. ‘At least, tell me why.’

The elder sister stared at the ceiling, her eyes was looking into faraway distance. ‘Someday, when you have found someone that you cared more than yourself, then you would understand.’

‘But I have!’ Mellinia objected. ‘And it’s you, sister.’

Srallerina laughed at her sister’s reply. ‘Silly girl…You’ll know when you’ve found it.’


‘I don’t understand, sister, I really don’t.’ The angel muttered to herself.

Mellinia pushed open the large doors, entering the trial room, where only the witnesses, guards, the Conclave, the judicature and Srallerina were present. The room was illuminated with nothing but three candles. Darkness surrounded everyone like a cloak, some shadowing the Conclave’s faces, while the judicature’s were openly seen. All of them had reached their graying age, as a minimum of a thousand years old. This was a private trial due to the ranking of Srallerina. They did not want any other angels to hear about this unfortunate news, as they called it. It would strike panic to the regular citizens if they learnt that the Angel General herself had fallen in love with a demon, the heir of the Underworld, no less.

Two guards stood beside the entrance while the rest enclosed on Srallerina, who limped toward the middle of the room. Her feather wings were tied down by chains, as well as her wrists and ankles. No one showed any sign of sympathy at her pitiful form, not even a flicker of emotion crossed their faces.

How heart-less, Mellinia thought, wincing at her sister’s injuries. She never liked how the army and the Conclave were trained. They were too emotionless and cold-blooded in Mellinia’s opinion. Angels should be sweet and kind, not disciplined to a point of numbness.

‘Srallerina,’ began one of the Conclave members, his voice booming across the room. ‘There are many times you have fought bravely alongside others against the evil forces, and contributed greatly to our side.’

‘However,’ continued another member. ‘Sadly, you’ve proven yourself a traitor in your treacherous act of assisting the prince of demons escape. What do you have to say for yourself?’

The one on trial stayed silent, refusing to answer the question. She told her sister that she would confess during the trial, yet she could not bring herself to say such disgraceful things. It was wrong to let a demon escape, and unforgivable to aid one.

‘Very well then. As it falls to me, I hereby declare you a fallen angel,’ Mellinia gasped in terror, it was the worst thing that could ever happen to an angel. ‘And I shall sentence you to—’

‘Your Honor,’ an angel rushed into the courtroom. ‘Forgive my interruption, but—’

‘What is so urgent, soldier? There’s a serious trial going on here.’ One of the accusers exclaimed.

The angel ignored him, and continued his message. ‘The demons sir, they’ve advanced!’

The angels broke out startled muttering, all of them could hardly consider the messenger was telling the truth. If the defenses of the Celestial side can be broken so easily, the demons would have won long ago. Nevertheless, angels, especially those who were in the army, were trained to have a perfect personality, which meant they were not to lie.

‘Tell us the details immediately!’

‘Yes sir,’ the angel obeyed. ‘The demons had suddenly advanced at 1800. They emerged in swarms, seemingly aiming for a specific place. They’ve already broken through our defenses and will arrive at any minute.’

‘What? Gather the remaining forces to the centre, and evacuate the citizens at once!’

‘Yes sir—’

Before the angel could carry out the order, the doors exploded off their hinge. Light entered with the twelve intruders. Mellinia and the rest shielded their faces from the sudden brightness. It wasn’t until a second later she could see the intruders clearly. The party consisted of five females and seven males, all of them were elites, including Drake, who was leading the party. Their dark aura was visible to the angels, who were petrified as they were taken in surprise and they were all in their leisure clothes.

‘Ha! Seems like I was on the right track after all.’ Drake smirked, a familiar sight for Srallerina, one she thought she would never see again. She thought she was dreaming.
Drake examined his beloved’s state and frowned in fury, his teeth gritting. He scowled at the head of the judicature. ‘I’ve come back for my woman, gramps, and there’s no stopping me.’
‘Seize them.’ The first voice of the Conclave members bellowed. There was no emotion in the statement but annoyance.

The demons spread out in all directions, Drake charging to Srallerina. He moved in and out dexterously to avoid the colored light beams, each seeking his death.

‘Get out of my way!’ roared Drake, whose hand now transformed into a black demon claw. He flew in front of the soldier with super speed, and ripped open his throat before the angel could give any reaction, effectively destroying his first opponent. The rest were killed in the same manner. The demon cared not about the angels, though he had wanted to minimize the damage done originally for his love, yet it was impossible when everyone was trying to kill him, Drake thought.

‘Rina.’

‘D-Drake? Why…How…You’ve come for me…’ Srallerina couldn’t believe it. His love for was big enough to risk his and his people’s (demon’s) lives. Should she name that as courage, or stupidity? ‘I cannot imagine you would—’

‘Of course, Rina. I would never forsake you.’ He smiled grimly. ‘Never.’

‘But you shouldn’t have come here, Drake. You shouldn’t have.’

‘Why? Are you looking forward to die?’ Drake clenched his fist, aggravated by Srallerina’s first words. ‘Were you trying to leave me? Did you hated me so?’

‘No, Drake. It is because death is already promised to me…’ Srallerina coughed uncontrollably, spraying blood on Drake’s features. His blood ran cold at the sight, his worst fear had happened before him.

‘Rina!’ Drake panicked. He didn’t know what to do. How could he save her from death’s clutches?

‘In dreams, we enter a world that’s entirely our own.’ The Angel General quoted. ‘But in reality, Drake, what is forbidden will never always remains as forbidden. I fear that our love ends here.’ Blood flowed from her mouths as her lips loved to form words. It dripped down the side of her face, creating a small pool of blood on the white marble floor.

‘No, no, no, no! Why, Rina?’

‘I’ve taken poison, Drake.’ Srallerina explained.

‘What?’ Drake asked, bewildered by her words.

‘I will never abandon our love,’ She went on explaining, ‘yet I cannot live as a traitor to my people, as a fallen angel, nor can I capture you as they order. So, this is the best option, my love.’

Above them, the angels and demons continued their battles; none had the spare time to see the tragic couple. Light beams were occasionally fired at their direction, which Drake blocked with his gigantic wings. His wings were wounded, but he did not care. The angel in his arms was much more important than that.

‘No, it’s not! Dammit! Stay with me, Rina!’

‘I’m sorry, Drake. I’m truly sorry…I can’t be a fallen…’ replied the dying angel softly, as if she had crossed half of death’s gate.

‘I don’t want your apologies, you fool! I want you to stay with me. And you’re not a fallen; you’re the purest angel I have ever seen.’ He held Srallerina close to him, wanting to keep her by his side forever. His eyes squeezed shut, praying that his beloved would be find when he open them again. Crystal tears rolled down stubbornly, defying their master’s wish.

‘Really?’ she asked, delighted by Drake’s remark.

‘Yes, so stay with me, Rina.’ He said, his voice hoarse from crying.

‘But Drake,’ her eyes dimmed. ‘The sky is getting darker…and darker…’

With a sigh, Srallerina laid still, her breathing ceased.

Drake felt his heart stopped beating. The one he loved, the only one he dearly loved, was dead. Everything seemed frozen around him, as if the world did not exist; only he and his lover’s corpse lingered. He recalled when he first met Srallerina, the reaction she’d give when he tease her, the soft lips he’d kissed, the warm body he’d hug, but no more. The warmth had left her permanently; she could no longer give the response he yearned for.

He stood up, laying her corpse on the blood-stained marble floor. His cat eyes searched of his target. Revenge!His heart cried, avenge her! His gaze turned back and forth, finally settled on a young struggling angel.

He was gone with a blink of an eye.

Mellinia did not comprehend what had occurred. All she knew was she had been exchanging light bolts with a demon, and the next second, she was slammed against a wall by another stronger demon, his deformed claw at her throat, preventing air from entering her lungs.

‘You,’ the demon growled.

‘H-huh?’ she squeaked. She wriggled, trying to free herself from the fuming demon, but he was too strong.

‘If it wasn’t for you, Rina would have come with me.’ He snarled with hatred. Scarlet eyes stared into her baby blue ones, as if they were burning holes through her soul. ‘She would have stay by my side, and she wouldn’t have died!’

Dismay colored Mellinia’s face. She shifted her focus to the floor behind him. She saw her sister lied on the floor like a doll. Gorgeous, silent, and motionless. The dread she had been afraid of now came into reality, not just a mere nightmare.

Her sister, dead.

‘If you had not appeared, if only you did not find us, we would be living in the Underworld happily right now!’ Drake bared his fangs, adding force to his hold.

Happily? Mellinia's air was running out. Her vision started to blur, the colors mixed themselves together in an artistic way, shapes bent into splatters. Her thoughts still loitered around Drake’s words, and how her sister would be happy with a demon.

‘Drake, watch out!’

The prince did not move from his position, rage blinded his thoughts.

The sharp tip impaled him, bursting through his wings and spine. Drake released his grasp on Mellinia, who fell onto the floor unconscious. He saw a sword pierced through him, the blade was dribbling with black blood—his blood. He trembled, and hit the ground with a thud.

Lying next to his love, he looked at her for the final time. He noticed the long lashes adorning her eyelids, the skin reflecting the ducking sunlight like a pearl, and the loving curl she had on her lips. She looked so peaceful, and beautiful.

He mirrored her smile, content to be at his lover’s side, and joined her in the depthless dark void of the unknown.

The demons retreated in the end, as the angels had once more triumphed, but barely. Time would be needed for both sides to heal the damage made. The case of the Angel General Srallerina was never finished, and the Conclave announced that she fought bravely in the assault and died as a hero, taking the prince of the Underworld with him, while the demons claimed their prince had killed the Angel General in his last breath. Only Mellinia and the few survivors knew the truth behind the glory. She wondered what would happen when angels and demons died, and she’d like to believe Srallerina and Drake were being happy together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading. Sigh, this is the longest one-shot I've written so far. Nearly 6000 words! (Maybe there are 6000 words if you count the summary and the author's notes.) When I re-read it, I feel like I'm reading Romeo and Juliet, sort of. And I notice I have a habit of killing my characters. *sweatdrop*
Anyway, hope you enjoying reading the story and please leave a comment.