Some Protector

Chapter 4

Damien followed Jamie into the arena. He was still a little bit dizzy. I must not have eaten enough. He thought at first. He felt strange pains pierce his stomach, almost causing him to double over. No, even worse. That rabbit was sick! Damn... Why didn't I realize it? He felt sick himself; tainted blood was never a good thing to have. Damn it! He gasped out loud as another wave of pain rolled over him. Clutching the wall, he doubled over, choking and gasping for air.

"Christian! Are you all right?" Jamie asked fearfully.

"I'm fine. It must've been something I ate," He gasped. He tried to push himself away from the wall, but winced and leaned against it again.

"Do you need me to get help?" She asked. Her face came into view, and he saw the concern on it.

"No, I'm all right, really," He gasped.

"Really? You don't look all right," A voice behind him said. He tried to turn to see the person, but cried out and fell to his knees in pain before he could. He heard feet moving rapidly toward him. "Just stay still, all right?" The person said. Once the haze cleared from his eyes, he saw the face of the person above him.

"A-Andrew Cogliano!" He exclaimed.

Andrew smiled. "Yeah, are you a fan?" He asked.

"Yeah, you're my favorite player! Wow, I can't believe I'm actually meeting you in person!" He said. Andrew laughed.

"Well, I'm always happy to meet a fan, but you need to see a doctor about this stomach problem," Andrew said.

Damien nodded in agreement, almost without realizing it. Wait, what am I doing? Like a doctor's going to be able to help me! Yeah, it’s so common to help a vampire that drank tainted blood. That won't get me into a mental institution. He stared up at the ceiling, suddenly finding himself on his back. Wait, what- The next thing he knew, he was staring into a bright light. He blinked rapidly and turned his head to the side. He could see that he was in a hospital. Wait, how did I end up here? What on earth happened? He looked around again and saw a doctor walk in.

"Hello there. You seem to be doing better," The doctor said, flashing him a smile.

"What happened?" He asked faintly. He was startled to hear such weakness in his voice. The doctor must have sensed this. Damien was even more surprised when the doctor telepathically communicated with him.

"You drank tainted blood from an ill rabbit. They brought you here from the arena after you passed out," He said.

"How do you know all of this?" Damien asked in wonder.

The doctor chuckled. "You really must be sick if you can't sense that I'm a vampire, too," The doctor responded.

Damien gasped, then winced as the sudden movement caused him pain.

"I must have missed some. Lay back," The doctor commanded, then he placed his palms flat on Damien's stomach. A warm light spread through him, and the doctor drew out the blood.

"H-how'd you do that?" Damien asked in wonder.

The doctor smiled. "I'm a healer vampire," He responded.

Damien blinked. "I never knew they existed," He said in wonder.

The doctor laughed. "Trust me, I'm perfectly real," He said. He placed a hand on Damien's and "checked his pulse" as a nurse went by. "Seems all right now. Just a bit of food poisoning is all," He said out loud. The nurse smiled and walked away. "Thank God. Can't have her finding out. You look really pale. Try to eat something that isn't a tainted rabbit. I know a good place you can go. Here," The doctor took out a notepad and wrote something on it, folding it up and sticking it in Damien's pocket. "This is a really good place. They'll give you as much as you need to sustain yourself for a while," He said.

"How can I ever repay you, doctor?" Damien asked. The doctor smiled.

"Get yourself better," He said, just as Jamie rounded the corner.

"I will. Thank you so much, doctor," Damien said. He smiled softly at Jamie. "Are you okay? I hope I didn't worry you too much," He said.

"I'm fine. You look so pale! And your voice is so weak!" She said, running to his side and flinging her arms loosely around his neck. He patted her back awkwardly.

"I'll be fine, the doctor said so," Damien said.

"Are you sure?" Jamie asked, looking from him to the doctor and back again.

"I'm positive. He may have to stay here for a bit, but he'll be fine. Although, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the room now. Visiting hours are over. You can stay here overnight if you wish, but I'm afraid you can't stay in the room with him," The doctor said.

"Oh, I'll have my mom pick me up. I'll come visit you tomorrow, Christian," She said.

"I'm looking forward to it," Damien said with a smile. Jamie smiled too, and she left. "What's the real reason she had to leave?" He asked.

The doctor closed the door and turned off the lights. "I don't want anyone to see," He said simply.

"See what?" Damien demanded.

"See this," And the doctor pressed a bag to Damien's lips. He could taste the blood in it. He reached eagerly for the bag, but the doctor held it firmly. "Sorry, but I'm worried you'll spill it," He said. Damien nodded. "So, you're a protector vampire?" He said.

Damien nodded. "Yes. How did you know?" He asked.

"I could see the look in your eyes when you looked at her. It just sort of clicked with me," He said. He pulled the now empty bag away, leaving Damien hungry for more. "The hunger will pass. Give it a minute," He said.

"Thank you again," Damien said.

"There is one thing I'd like from you, if it's all right?" The doctor said.

"What's that?" Damien asked suspiciously.

The doctor laughed. "Nothing bad, I promise. I wanted to know your real name. I know it isn't Christian."

"Oh, is that all? My real name is Damien. I was born in the year 1214," Damien said.

"Interesting. Well, I'll let you get some sleep now," The doctor said. He opened the door and closed it softly behind him, leaving Damien alone in the darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd like to thank Zaruba and PeaceLovePOA (Who I'm assuming is Emily, haha) for commenting and reading!!