You Can Call Me Baby All the Time

still I need you here with me

I smiled when Frank took my hand in his as we walked through the airport terminal at LAX. The sliding doors to the arrivals opened and we were met by the flashing of cameras.

"Shit," I mumbled as Frank put his left arm around my shoulders protectively and guided us out of the mass of people.

"There you are, I tried calling you to warn you but your cell-phone's still off," Johnny had appeared at my other side, "My car's just out front. Ready for a quick getaway."

We battled our way out of the airport and to the safety of Johnny's black SUV.

"How did they know we'd be here?" I asked my brother as he started the car.

"They've been camped out at the airport the last couple of days, there are some pretty high profile people coming to the wedding so I guess they're trying to get photos of everyone," Johnny shrugged.

Frank pulled his baseball cap off and leaned his head back against his chair, "You used to have to fight through that every night?"

I nodded, "I brought it on myself and I used to enjoy it in some sort of twisted way. Should have figured there would be paparazzi crawling all over the place."

I looked down at my ensemble of white converse, navy blue sweat pants, white tank top, unstyled hair, barely made-up face and couldn't help but cringe.

"You look fine, better than fine," Frank said quietly, leaning over to take my hand.

I smiled and kissed him softly, "You're sweet, a liar, but sweet."

"As much as I think it's great you guys are together and in love and stuff," Johnny looked at us in his rear-view mirror, "but can you not make-out in the back of my car?"

I bit my lip to stop my grin at the shade of red that graced Frank's face.

"Speaking of love. Heard from the happy couple lately?" I asked Johnny.

He rubbed the back of his neck and shifted in his seat, "Well, I'm kind of, sort of, the best man," he mumbled.

"Oh," I nodded, feeling a little bit betrayed for no good reason, "Great."

"He asked me and I couldn't say no, you know?"

"Course you couldn't, he's your dad," I reasoned.

I looked out at the scenery whizzing past us and swallowed, the reality of seeing my father after all this time finally sinking in. Starting to regret my eagerness to come to the wedding I griped Frank's hand tighter and ran my thumb over the ring he wore that matched mine.

I knew that no matter what happened tomorrow with my family that I had a man that loved me and would always be there for me. Now, more than ever, I was so incredibly grateful for that.

comments = ♥