You Can Call Me Baby All the Time

and let me be the one who calls you baby

I sat on the bed and ran a brush through my hair. Wandering over to the mirror hanging on the wall I caught sight of the magazine lying on the dresser. I bit my lip as I looked down at it, Frank was in the shower, I could have a quick read of the interview and he didn't need to know. On the other hand I was a grown woman and I could read whatever article I wanted.

Grabbing the magazine I plopped down on the bed and flicked it open to the interview.

I skimmed the first couple of paragraphs and found out that the wedding was in four weeks in L.A. and my new sibling, a little boy named Jacob, was two months old. Turning the page I found the part about my dad's 'relationships' with his other kids.

'When asked about his older children Jack West can't seem to stop the smile that splits his face.

"I'm very proud of my kids. They've all done really well for themselves by themselves, they didn't ever rely on being
my kids to get them anywhere."

I ask about way-ward daughter Ruby, 21, and his expression turns somber.

"Rube's just a mixed up kid. As soon as she had moved to L.A. [Ruby was raised in London by her mother until her death from cancer in 2001] she fell in with the wrong kind of people. That led to the drinking and partying, I think she was still very upset about losing her mother and needed an escape," Jack shakes his head and looks down at his hands.

Melina places a hand on his arm, "She's obviously just a very volatile person."

Has Melina had the chance to spent some time with her youngest step-daughter?

"Well, no. We've actually never met, she's very busy with her own life I suppose."

"Ruby's been spending most of her time in Europe lately, after the death of her friend Christopher [Christian Baker, died in a car crash nine months ago which Ruby survived]. That really messed her up."

She also inherited her mother's estate on her 21st birthday around about the same time as dealing with the tragedy.

"It's a big responsibility for someone so young to have so much money," Jack states, "I only hope she doesn't wash it down the drain."
'

I squeezed my eyes shut tight, not wanting to read anymore. The man that was my father knew nothing about me. Okay, so I didn't exactly make the effort but neither did he. I slapped the magazine shut and stood up from the bed, suddenly feeling stifled in the once airy hotel room. Shoving my feet into a pair of black flats I scribbled a note to Frank on the hotel stationary and grabbed my cellphone, exiting the room.

I dashed down the hallway and hammered the button for the elevator, overwhelmed with the need to get away, to escape.

comments = ♥