Bring Me Happiness

19/25

The morning came like a gentle spring breeze and left like a winter's warning. That whole week the entire Kage mansion was occupied in event planning and decorating of the entire manor. Gaara had paperwork to attend to while Ren was busy trying on kimonos and studying basic etiquette manners for the event, having the two elders for her instructors.

The only time that the two would share was short and so they had become used to each others company at night, where they would talk about their day or argue about the smallest matter for hours until Ren fell asleep.

“How have you been?” Gaara asked Ren as she walked in his office, wearing a long ruffled kimono.

“Kill me now, I'm so tired!” She complained with a sigh. Gaara smirked as he stood from his chair and motioned the ninjas to depart to their given mission.

“Is there a lot of work today?” She asked concerned as she walked closer to him, now that there was no one around.

“More than enough to keep me busy at night...”He smiled lowly. Ren grinned, knowing that he managed to sneak some paperwork in his bedroom at night every so often to keep him occupied during the time Ren was asleep.

“My parents are going to attend the party later, will you greet them?” Ren asked.

“Of course, it is only proper for me to do so...”Gaara responded. Then there was silence among them.

“Get back here! Ren! You're not done!” yelled Chiyo's voice, breaking the awkward atmosphere that surrounded them.

Gaara could not help but let a slight chuckle leave his lips from relief.

“I guess… I have to go back… see you later at night...” Ren waved before she left her husband, feeling stupid for adding the extra part in the end of her sentence.

“Yes...” He replied awkwardly with a nod. He watched her leave and before he knew it, he was left all alone once again.

After a few more hours of preparation, it was now finally time to celebrate Ren's Birthday with the village. This would be the event that would be presenting the newly weeds for the first time. An important event. An event, where Gaara would be able to show, just how much he had matured. And the impression of everyone would reflect, if he is ready to handle the entire village.

“Alright, is everyone ready?” Asked Kankuro as he walked back and forth, motioning for the extra bodyguards to go into position and stand on either side of the young Kazekage.

“Where is she?” Gaara asked as he looked over to Temari, knowing that it would be time soon to present themselves to the village.

“Ahh!” She grinned widely, ignoring her brother by looking pass him,”She looks stunning!”

The elders walked in with Ren in hand. She wore a rose pink kimono that ruffled at the bottom, creating a long tail that dragged on the floor. The printed designs were white silk stitched birds in a flying position. And the obi tied around her waist was a bright red, to compliant her husband's hair.
“You guys did a really nice job,” Kankuro smiled to the elders. Temari smirked as she looked over to her little brother.

“What do you think, Gaara? Doesn't she look beautiful?”

Gaara stared at his wife who in exchange gave a very transparent expression; worrying what his reply would be.

Her blonde hair was in a loose tendril twist bun, fastened at the nape of her neck, the front her face had wavy strains of hair that gently draped on the sides, framing her face.

“Let's hurry, we don't want to be late,” Gaara replied, brushing off the question, still staring at her.

Her blue eyes looked deep into his teal ones and saw something spark, like if his emotionless expression illuminated even if it was only for a second.

Ren walked closer to him until she was standing beside him.

“Are you nervous?” Gaara questioned his wife as his eyes darted back to reality. Ren nodded; afraid her voice would shake even with a simple 'yes'.

Her eyes wandered back to his face but he didn't turn to look at her. Instead, what he did next was unexpected. Gaara laid his hand out towards her, his palm up, waiting for her to met his. Ren's heart skipped and yet, she did not hesitate to take his hand, knowing that if she made him wait longer he would pull back.

“We're ready.” Gaara stated firmly, taking her hand in his, before everyone took their place.

Suddenly, the doors opened and everyone began to walk. Ren's heart began to pound louder and louder as her stomach twisted in fear of the crowd. Gaara could feel her tense up as her hand, wanted to pull back.

“Everyone, please welcome the leaders of The Sand!” announced a Shinobi. The crowd roared in wild cheers. Ren couldn't help but squeeze Gaara's hand as she felt like stopping. She wanted nothing else in the world more then to turn back and run away. Gaara's eyes drifted to his side, where Ren's terrified face became apparent. Darting them back to his people, he squeezed his palm back, trying to assure her that it would be okay.

Ren's eyes averted towards the wild crowd and quickly cowered closer to the Kazekage, grazing his shoulder with her face as she began to hyperventilate on his arm.

“Don’t ruin this…” Garra muttered to Ren lowly, turning his head down to look at her “Present yourself etiquettely, don’t hint a sign of disrespect, you are the Kazekage's wife…”

Seeing what looked like a sign of affection, the crowd roared louder than before, cheering them on. Managing to look at the crowd again, Ren swore she could faint. There were so many people!

Swallowing down her saliva, Ren tired her best to regulate her heart beat by taking a step with Gaara. But froze after that one step, unable to complete the walk to the center of the balcony, where Gaara had once been pronounced Kazekage. Gaara watched as Ren panicked, her eyes were wide open, and her lips were parted but no words came out.

The elder walked up in front of them, taking action. They began to give a speech after apologizing for Ren’s behavior, explaining that she was not use to attention.

Gaara squeezed her hand, bringing her back to reality. Her eyes quickly drifted down to their bound hands, where she stared at Gaara’s porcelain skin that held her.

“I know you’re nervous and scared...” Gaara muttered secretly to Ren, looking back out to the crowd. Ren's ultramarine eyes wandered up to his face, “But you shouldn't be...”

His face was calm as he pulled her towards him, causing her face to collide with his chest. His face lowered down to meet hers as he spoke with concern, “Something like that, is what I should be saying?”

Ren's face reddened by the embarrassment and at that instant she could feel her face burning up as the crowd “awed” by their actions.

“Wh-Why are you like this?” Ren whispered as she pulled back, hiding her face from the crowd by placing a hand over the side of her head.

“Isn't this what married people do?” He questioned lowly with a hint of confusion, before bringing his face closer to her own, “They show affection, don’t they?”

“Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” The crowd cheered loudly.

“I guess, it’s my turn for a speech….” Gaara told Ren before clearing his throat. He moved away from Ren and took a step forward and addressed to his people.

“On behalf of my wife and I, we’d like to thank you all for coming and sharing this special day with us.” Gaara bowed respectfully to the villagers and continued speaking, “We have both been very nervous about today…”

Ren’s eyes wondered to Gaara’s back, as he protected her with his words. But, she was careful to not misunderstand, because she knew that she was his wife - but only that.

“We have been living quiet happily since our wedding.” Gaara nodded, “It means a great deal to us that you are sharing this special day, my wife’s birthday, with us today. And we hope that you enjoy the occasion every bit, as much as we will.”

“Ren! Walk up next to Gaara and bow!” Chiyo whispered, urging Ren with her eyes. Ren did as she was told and only managed to stand next to Gaara. And in an instant - she froze. Gaara sighed through his nose.

Suddenly, Ren's breathe paused as Gaara pulled her hand in the air for the people to see. But he knew that only a kiss would prove that they were in love. The crowd cheered crazily, as they watched Gaara pull her face towards his.

Ren’s eyes widen. Temari gasped with a blush. While Chiyo observed, too old to be fooled like the village. She knew that Gaara did not kiss her.

“You did a good job, you can relax now…” Gaara whispered. Ren felt his breathe crease her lips as they shook. Not expecting him to act this way, she was only dazed.

“I didn’t know Gaara had that in him” Kankuro laughed while Temari smiled happily, “Ren is his wife after all!”

Wife…

Gaara held Ren’s hands as he led the way back into the mansion.

…Is that all I’ll ever be?

Once inside, Gaara faced Ren, concerned.

“I’m sorry about that,” he spoke sincerely, “I promise never to do that again..”

I wish to someday be his love instead...