Bring Me Happiness

23/25

Tears streamed down her pale face as she brought her knees closer to her chest. She sat in her empty room, sobbing quietly. Her body would not stop shaking in fear.

I have to leave….I can’t stay here….

Ren tried to wipe away her tears but more continued to fall down her cheeks and hit the floor.

Why can’t I be strong at this time? I need to go…Please….Move!!

Ren managed to pull herself up, although her tears did not stop flowing nor did her body stop shaking. She let her hands dangle as she lifted up her wrist, taking in the marks around her skin, feeling sorry for herself.

She heard the door knob twist slowly. Ren’s body jolted back and she began to quiver in fear, crying loudly.

“No!” She cried.

“Ren...” said a voice.

“Get away!” Ren screamed backing away.

“Is everything okay?”

Temari finally revealed herself.

Ren broke down and cried on the floor, burying her head on the floor.

“Ren!” Temari shouted as she rushed by Ren’s side, “What happened?”

“Get out!” Gaara’s voice boomed from behind her. Ren’s fingernails dug deep into her skull before she screamed out loud.

“What did you do to her?“ yelled Temari at her brother.

“Get out.” Gaara repeated.

Temari stretched out her arms as to protect Ren from her little brother, “You need to stop this!”

“She is my wife, she belongs to me, now leave!” Gaara demanded.

“Gaara!” Temari exclaimed.

“I am ordering you as your Kazekage, leave now!” Gaara ordered.

Temari’s arm went down as shook her head. She took a look back at Ren. Ren was crying uncontrollably.

“She betrayed the village...She met with Sasuke and gave him important scrolls that belonged to us! ”Gaara continued.

“What?” Temari asked shocked, “Ren….you...”

“Leave...” Gaara demanded again.

“You can’t kill her,” Temari explained, “Not here...she needs to go through trial first...you know that!”

“I need to speak to my wife. I need you to get my army ready and have Kankuro contact Konoha.” Gaara explained, “Sasuke is Konoha’s responsibility...”

Temarti nodded before she reluctantly left the room.

"I..." Gaara spoke as he looked out the window, trying to find the right words.

"I'm... I'm sorry I lost my temper..." He mumbled before taking a step forward.

“Get away...” Ren begged as she back away into a wall, scanning the room for a weapon but found nothing, “You are a murderer...”

“You betrayed me!” Gaara barked. Ren jolted up. Gaara saw this and softened himself, “Why did you do it?”

“I am not like you,” Ren begged, “I’m not a ninja! I can’t defend myself from you!”

Gaara’s face dropped, “Are you afraid of me?”

“Yes!” Ren exclaimed, “You wanted to kill me just you killed her!”

Gaara’s eyes lit up, “That was different!-”

“You killed her!” Ren screamed at him.

“No, she...” Gaara started but stumbled upon his words. Seeing how Gaara’s demeanor changed, Ren found the strength to wipe away her tears and swallow the lump in her throat before sliding up the wall and regained her balance to stand up straight.
“I can’t believe I ever thought you were normal,” Ren stated before shaking her head, “You’re a monster. A murderous monster!”

“I don’t understand!” She shouted at him as she tried to steady her breaths. Gaara didn’t move a muscle, “You-…You act a certain way and then you’re acting like someone completely different, I don’t understand you at all!”

“I was actually falling in love with you” Ren said in tears before regretting her words.

Gaara had no expression and just stared at her blankly. Ren noticed the open door besides Gaara and wanted to dash out the door but only managed to run towards his desk before he stopped her. Gaara’s sand formed a wall.

“I can’t let you leave...” Gaara stated. Ren quickly searched Gaara’s desk for a weapon but found a picture on his desk that made her heart stop.

“What?” She asked as she picked up the frame. It was a picture of her but not her. The girl had blonde hair and blue eyes just like Ren but it was not her. The girl in the picture looked different.

“Why do you have this picture?” Ren asked confused. The sand wall went down.

“Who is this? This is not me, I don’t remember taking this picture...” Ren asked.

Gaara said nothing but Ren understood now. The picture was the girl he loved.

“This...” Ren said slowly, “This is Shori of the sand...”

”Why does she look just like me?” Ren asked as tears formed around her eyes. Again, Gaara said nothing.

“What the fuck is going on!” Ren demanded, “Why does she look like me! You said she looked similar but she looks exactly like me!!”

Gaara stood in front of her, with sadness consuming his soul.

“What?” Ren asked confused, “You killed her….why do you have a picture of her, you psycho!”

“I loved her...” Gaara started, “You don’t understand...I really did love her...”

“Did you really marry me because I look like he then?” Ren exclaimed, “Oh! That is so messed up! Ohhhh...”

Ren placed her hands on her head, “What is going on right now?”

“When I first saw you, I really believed that I was seeing her...I called her Sachi because it means happiness and she was my happiness” Gaara explained, “Later I found out that her real name was Shori of the sand”

“All those times I felt like we had a connection….it really was nothing?” Ren started, “Was that because you saw her in me? Or did you actually see me?”

Gaara stood quiet for a minute, “I don’t know..”

“I don’t regret what I did,” Ren said as she shook her head, “You are real fucked up! I am not going to let you drive me crazy...”

“You betrayed our village!” Gaara stated, “Maybe you think I’m crazy but what you did was definitely crazy! You are the Kazekage’s wife and you betrayed the sand village! Do you not understand what you did?”

Ren said nothing as the guilty started to creep up her heart again. Ren gritted her teeth before she screamed in frustration.

Gaara’s face changed. His eyes seemed sad.

“I am your Kazekage,” Gaara stated, “...and your husband. You have betrayed me as both.”

“You and I both know that our marriage wasn’t real,” Ren growled, “I can’t do this anymore. I can’t allow you to do this to me anymore!”

Ren looked down at her arms, and noticed the bruises forming around her body from earlier. Tears started to form around her eyes.

Ren stared at the door and thought of making her move. Gaara stared intensely at her before speaking.

“Leave,” Gaara commanded.

Ren took a step forward but stopped.

This might be a trap...

Ren stared back at Gaara with the same intensity. Finally, after 10 mins of silence, Ren made her move. She tried her best to run pass him and reach the door without looking back. She felt his presence behind her but wasn’t sure. Her heart fell, afraid that she had fallen into a trap. And at that instant, the war horns ran outside the window and echoed throughout the village. The room shook in vibration and Ren fell over. She crawled out of the door in panic.

A war had begun.