Bring Me Happiness

24/25

Ren’s hands searched the walls for support as she desperately tried to stand up to run.
She could hear dozens of synchronized footsteps rushing towards her and people shouting in panic. Her vision was hazed from the vibrations of the war alarms. She could hear people around her shout out war commands and demanding to protect the front.

Ren saw an open door nearby, and she focused hard on it, in the midst of, all the ninjas that scrambled before for. She took her chances to slowly slip through and make her way down outside. Once outside, she could feel her ears pop as the war alarm faded to a more distance noise in the background. However, as Ren’s vision settled back to normal, she noticed the chaos before her.

She saw children crying in fear and crowds of villagers running in different directions as they bumped into each other without looking back. She slowly took a few steps forward, trying to find the correct way to safety. Loud explosions could be heard in the background as buildings begun to fall over and the screams got louder. Ren’s attention quickly spotted out a kid who was running out of a store that started to crumble down, bricks falling above him. And just as he was about to get crushed, Ren saw sand formed around the child as a shield to protect them from the falling rocks. Ren slowly turned to see Gaara behind her.

“Do not run off,” Gaara stated, “It’s dangerous. Are you okay?”

Ren looked back at the child who ran up to Gaara to hug him and thank him. Gaara spoke to his guards and asked them to take the child and to lead the villagers to shelter before turning back to look at Ren, concerned, “Are you hurt?”

Ren was dazed by Gaara’s heroic actions that she didn’t notice that Gaara was talking to her. Gaara reached out and placed his arms around Ren and into a warm embrace.

“Do not run off,” Gaara repeated. Ren stood in his embrace, confused, as she felt a warm tingle rush throughout her body and into her cheeks. Her body felt light, like a weight had been lifted up from her soul. Ren felt her hands slowly go up and land on his back and tears started to form around her eyes.

“Are you hurt?” he asked again.

Ren couldn’t help but feel the tears drip down her cheeks as Gaara slowly pressed her body closer to him. She felt him whisper lowly, “It’s okay...”

Ren’s body trembled. She continued to hear explosions go off in the background and bricks falling.

“Kazekage-sama, we need more foot soldiers to secure the borders, sir!” Reported a voice from behind Ren.
Gaara placed his hand on top of Ren’s head. Ren felt her tears stop as she gathered enough courage to override the wave of emotions she was feeling.

“I’m okay,” She finally replied. Gaara released her before speaking again, “As the Kazekage’s wife, you need to direct the villagers to safety. That is your duty to the village.”

“Kazekage-sama,” repeated the voice behind Ren.

“Yes, send more men to secure the borders,” Gaara replied, “Have all women, children and the elderly rush to safety.”

Ren turned to face the ninja Gaara was giving commands to before giving her own commands, “Have some ninjas scout the village for anyone who is left behind and to help those that are injured or unable to move.”

The ninja looked at Gaara and Gaara nodded in approval. The ninja then bowed before commanding near by troops on the new commands given by his leaders.

At that instant, a loud booming sound was heard and the ground shook. Suddenly, a giant skeleton appeared with a purple aura surrounding it.

“Sasuke,” Gaara growled. Ren quickly looked up and saw Sasuke standing on the shoulder of the demonic giant.

“Go now!” Gaara commanded to Ren before vanishing along with some of the troops. The remaining troops looked at Ren for guidance. Ren quickly took on her leadership role once she found out the direction to safety. The ninjas that stayed with her helped guide the crowd along with helping any elder who hard a hard time walking amongst the crowd. Ren looked up and saw Gaara directly battle Sasuke. Her heart sank.

“Madam, we need to get you to safety,” stated ninja from the troops, “Please come this way...”

Ren followed but then stopped, “What do you think the outcome will be?”

The ninjas looked at one another, “Madam, we know that Gaara is strong and will keep us all safe. We need to get you to shelter.”

”What happens if he loses?” Ren questioned as she squinted her eyes to see Gaara and Sasuke battle from a distance, “The enemy usually kills off the royal family first, don’t they?”

“He’s not alone,” explained one of the ninjas, “He has all of our support. Don’t worry madam, Gaara is going to fine.”

“Neither is Sasuke,” Ren stated as she pointed at Sasuke’s men behind him fighting just as hard, “He’s not alone either”.

“I want to stay and watch...” Ren started, ignoring the pleas from the guards.

I owe him at least that…

“He’s down!”

Instantly, the guards vanished and rushed towards their Kazekage.

Ren watched as Gaara fell on his knees, defeated. Her eyes widen in horror as she watched dozens of ninjas rush towards Gaara as Sasuke was about to deliver the final blow. Men fell from the remaining rooftops and landed on their bloody bodies.

“Gaara!” Ren exclaimed before rushing to get closer. Suddenly, dust boomed throughout the village followed by a huge crushing sound that collapsed into silence in the air.

“It can’t be..!!” Ren whispered in horror as she covered her mouth and squinted her eyes to try to see past the dust storm.

She noticed a giant orange fox peak out of the dusk. It was Naruto along with some Konoha troops. Ren watched as Gaara was quickly rushed out of battle. She sighed in relief before realizing her own fate. She would most likely be killed for treason.

“I need to go,” Ren whispered to herself as she quickly tried to find her way out of the village.

Ren managed to get as far as the borders before she was taken prisoner under Chiyo’s orders.