Throw Away Kids

Meeting Mr. Adams

Alissa laid back against her new bed. She reached out and fingered the crimson curtains that draped over her bed. The fabric used to make the curtains felt soft against her fingers. A door closing in the other room signaling that Mr. Adams was home. Slowly, she got up and walked out of her room to meet her foster father. As she walked into the room, she was greeted by a tall man. He looked to be about in his early 40's, a few years older than Michelle. He smiled down on Alissa as she stared in awe up at him. To her, she was giant since she was so small and he looked to be about six foot.
"Hey, you must be Alissa," he said with smile. Alissa nodded her head and smiled up at him.
"My name is James, but you can call me Jamey," James said as he walked over to the couch and sat down.
"Okay," Alissa answered as she sat down in a small armchair that was in the corner of the living room.
"So tell me Alissa, how old are you?" James asked as he rested his arms behind his head.
"I'm almost ten."
"When's your birthday?"
"Um.... January 6th," Alissa answered hesitantly. She didn't realize that meeting Mr. Adams would mean being bombarded with questions. She wished that she had stayed holed up in her new room.
"Did Michelle tell you about the house rules?" James asked sternly. Alissa hesitantly shook her head 'no'. She already disliked the man in front of her, and now he was telling her rules.
"Rule number one, no loud music. Rule number two, no running in the house. Rule number three, no shouting or screaming," James began. Alissa drowned out the conversation as she fiddled with the hem of her dark hoodie. She stared at the man who was instructing her so it look like she was actually listening. Every once in a while, she'd nod her head when she thought some input was needed. As James's lecture came to an end, Alissa stood up and tried to slip into her room when she was stopped by Michelle, who wrapped her arms around the young girl.
"I see you've met my Jamey," she cooed, looking over at her husband who sweetly smiled back at her. Alissa fought the urge to scoff and roll her eyes as she bobbed her head up and down.
"I suppose he all ready told you the rules, too," Michelle said as she stepped back and held Alissa out at arms length. Once again, the young girl nodded her head yes. Her foster mother smiled at her before releasing Alissa and walking over to the couch to set next to her husband.
"Michelle?" Alissa asked meekly as she glanced over at her foster mother.
"What sweet heart?"
"Do you have anything that could clean off my guitar a bit?" the young girl asked as she shifted her weight. Michelle smiled sweetly and nodded her head before standing up and walking out of the room. A few seconds later she returned with a bottle of Windex and a soft rag.
"See if this will do anything," she said before handing the cleaning fluids and the rag to Alissa. The young girl took the stuff into her room and knelt down by her guitar. She set the Windex down and tried to wipe the top most layer of soot off with the dry rag. After scrubbing the body of the guitar for a few minutes, she removed the rag to see how much of the black soot had come off. Alissa sighed when only a little bit of black had come off. She reached back for the Windex and squirted a little bit of the blue liquid onto the rag. She wiped down the body of her guitar and sighed when the Windex didn't work either. Slowly, the young girl stood up and grabbed onto her guitar by the neck and placed it back in the corner of the room. She grabbed the cleaning solution and the rag before exiting her room and handing the stuff back to Michelle who was now sitting on Jame's lap. Alissa rolled her eyes before returning back to her room and laying down on her bed. She closed the curtains to her bed and closed her eyes. Slowly, she drifted off into a deep sleep.