Status: It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Cross My Heart and Hope to Die

Chappy 15

I signed all the necessary papers that I was required to sign. Man, this is going to cause tension and I will not be a fan of it. At all. I turned to Max. “Alright,” I said, “They said that you won’t be able to have visitors for the first few months. However, we can write you and such.”

He nodded, still looking remorseful about what he did. “I’m okay with that. I just want to get better,” he said.

“Yeah,” I said, “You’re lucky you didn’t do serious damage, hun. And that it was just you two and not everyone.”

“True. I would have hated to hurt any of the others.”

I nodded before hugging him. “You’ll have to give your personal items to the woman at the front desk so that they can be kept here until you get out.”

He hugged back and whispers, “Okay.”

We stood there hugging for what seem like a long while when we stopped and I said, “Alright. Well, I gotta get to the hospital and do some explaining to Ali.”

He nodded. “I’ll see you in a few months I guess.”

I smiles and gave him a quick hug. “Alrighty. Stay safe, get clean, and stay out of trouble, okay hun?”

He nodded. “Okay,” he said before going to the desk and reaching in his pockets.

I smiles and left the building before going to my car.

If your heart wears thin I will hold you up and I will hide you when it gets too much, I'll be right beside you. I'll be right beside you.

I answered my phone. “Ello ello,” I said.

“Hey babe,” Tom said, “You busy?”

“Yeah. Getting ready to stop at the hospital,” I replied getting into the car.

“What?! What happened?! Are you okay?! Is everyone alright?!” he asked frantically.

“Come by and I’ll explain. I’m visiting Ali.”

“Ho’shit.”

“Yeah. But yeah, come by and we’ll explain everything, okay?”

“Will do. I’ll drag Bill’s scrawny ass with me.”

“Yay Meckie! Alright. Well, see you there.”

“Okay. I love you.”

That boy sure does know how to get to me. “I love you, too. See ya.”

“See ya.”

I closed my phone and drove on to the hospital.

*Hospital*

After getting lost for the umpteenth time in this huge ass hospital, I finally found Ali’s room. How I got her hall confused with the maternity ward, I will never know. I have that shitty of a sense of direction. I opened the door to see her sitting up and playing Bullshit with JD. I knocked on the door, getting their attention. “Hello, fellow humans. I come with good news!” I said with a dorky grin on my face.

JD chuckled at me and Ali said, “Come hither. I have questions that demand answers.”

I nodded. “ That’s the good news. Answers to your questions.”

“Well,” JD said, “I guess we’ll pick up our game later, eh Ali?”

“Sure. Why not,” she replied.

He nodded before standing up and leaving the room. I walked in and sat down where he had been just seconds ago and sat my purse on the ground next to me. “Alright, woman. I know that you know how I got here. Spill now,” she said. Pause. “Please,” she added.

I giggled. “Alright, hun,” I said before launching into the story about what happened.

“Shit,” she said after I was finished, “Where’s Max?”

“Rehab,” I replied, “Just checked him in a few minutes ago.”

“Well, I’ll be damned,” she said before laying back on her bed, “What all did he say whenever you found me?”

“He was freaking out and thinking Craig was going to kill him and that he loved me and was worrying about-” I started.

“Whoa! Wait a second. He said that he loved you?” she asked.

I nodded. “What did you say?” she asked.

“That he was high. He told me he missed me and I said he saw me everyday.”

She relaxed. “Does explain the sudden whoreness. And why he decided to be a dumbass and snort coke.”

I sighed. “But I just see Max as like a big brother.”

“I know, Chels. But this is Max we’re talking about.”

“ True. Thing is, I love Tom.”

“I know, Chels.”

“What should I do?”

“Let him get clean, then sit down with him and let him know that you just have sibling feelings for him. He’ll understand.”

“I hope so. Anyway, Tom and Meckie are on their way here. We’ll have to explain what happened to them.”

“That works for me.”

“Good. Because if not, I would have to teach you a lesson.”

“Ha! You wish.”

We gave each other the straightest faces we can could before laughing our asses off. We laughed until a knock on the door was heard and Tom and Meckie walked in.