Summer Has Only Just Begun

Imagine.

My eyes are closed as I stand leaning on my elbows on the blue metal railing that surrounds the small balcony jutting out around the tiny white bach.

My other four senses work to take in my surroundings.

The breeze pushes my hair softly across my face and tickles my uncovered shoulders. It kisses at my face so tenderly I can hardly feel it, but the slight, cool feeling that covers my body tells me that its there.

I can smell the sea salt, burning my nostrils slightly with its sharp tang but not enough to hurt. The rich aroma of meat cooking on the barbecue to my left wafts around me, curling around me in soft, inviting tendrils like ghosts swirling around me in the air.

The sound of the waves slowly, rhythmically lapping against the sand relaxes my breathing, in and out in time with the crash and pull. Sea gulls squawk faintly someone off to my right, fighting over a scrap of food or just walking around like they sometimes do. Somewhere far off in the distance I can hear children playing, laughter and happiness resonating in the higher pitched voices, the quiet chatter as they build sand castles and play in the water. The hiss of cooking and the scrap and pat of burgers being flipped reminds me of the food.

I can almost taste the beach.

Behind me the stereo is playing Arizona by Kings of Leon, the twanging on the guitar and rhythmic beat of the drums relaxes me completely, his soft, crooning voice reminds me only of summer and spending time with friends.

I open my eyes slowly and take in the surrounding.

The sand below and in front of me is golden; it looks soft and almost warm. Pieces of seaweed are scattered over it randomly, stark green against the warmth of gold. Just up from the sand the clear, light powder blue ocean laps against it. The water is tinged orange at the edges with the rising sun, producing a soft gradient in towards the darker, deeper blue in the centre of my vision.

Above the ocean are the hills, steel blue against the water. Golden sky shines up from behind like a halo across the harsh, hutted edges of the land. The clouds float seamlessly across the soft sky like a painter’s strokes, smudged and blended and aura of warmth and readiness for the new day.

I walk down the stairs to my left and down onto the sand. The rough texture beneath my feet is gritting and harsh. I feel it mold with the soles of my feet, falling in clumps around each footfall.

I reach the water and feel it splash around my ankles, warm and liquidly. It’s just waiting for me to dive in and explore the world underneath its surface. I swirl my foot through the water creating patterns, watching it well and ripple and splash against the pressure.

I look up again and pull my cardigan tighter around myself as the breeze pushes itself around me, pulling my long, curly brown hair out around my face.

I’m looking forward to all the things summer brings.

Barbeques, walks along the beach, ice creams, splashing in the water, playing like I’m a little child again, sun, getting a tan, relaxation, listening to all my indie music, talking on the phone with friends, sleeping under the stars, nighttime swims, fireworks, wearing a bikini and not caring, drinking lemonade, playing the guitar, bonfires on the beach, wearing flip flops, eating watermelon, water fights.

I’m ready, for summer has only just begun.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was inspired by the picture I have used as my background.

I went to this beach about two years back with my two best friends and I had the best summer of my whole entire life, this place is called Kaiteriteri in New Zealand and it is absolutely gorgeous. Beka played Arizona while we were up there, or maybe after we got back and it reminded us so much of all the times we spent on that beach.

The photo was literally taken on the balcony of the bach, the beach was that close. If you don't believe me look at this picture. That white house is Beka's bach :)

But I hope you enjoyed it.

Gen
xxx