‹ Prequel: Wasting Love
Status: Finished. But in the process of being re-written.

Roxanne

A New Gunner

Duff's POV

They took Roxanne off to a room while I got stuck with the paperwork, it didn’t take me long to finish the paperwork I mean it was only like three sheets but it felt like forever. I asked the front desk where the maternity ward was and they pointed me in the right direction. I found where I was going pretty fast and it wasn’t long until I had finished that paperwork and was sitting impatiently in one of the chairs tapping my foot. A few moments later Axl, Slash, Steven and Izzy walked in, they saw me and waved and trying to smile I waved back.

“Where’s Rox?” Axl asked even though I’m sure he already knew.

“In a room.” I replied lamely.

“Well in that case, congrats Dad.” Steven told me, I didn’t answer him; instead I just brushed the hair out of my face for what seemed like the millionth time. Nervously I chewed my fingernails and looked around. The room was unusually quiet considering who was in it.

“You okay Duff, you look pretty wound up.” Slash asked as everyone turned to look at me.

“Am I ok? Yes, am I wound up? Like you wouldn’t believe.” I replied quickly, Axl let out a laugh as Steven smirked. That’s when the nurse appeared.

“Andrew McKagan.” She said as she scanned the room, from beside me Izzy nudged me then I stood up and walked over to her. “Follow me.” Was all she said, we walked down lots of hallways with lots of turns.

“How is she?” I asked the nurse as we were walking.

“Roxanne and the baby are just fine.” The nurse assured me as she stopped outside a door. “Go ahead.” She told me as she opened the door. Hesitantly I stepped through and saw her and the little white bundle she was holding. She looked exhausted, with the dark rings under her eyes that looked as though they were permanently etched into her skin and she was pale almost as white as the bundle she was holding.

“Hey, how are you?” I asked as she looked up, her face brightened.

“I’m good just tired. Come here and see your daughter.” She told me, as she said that my breath caught in my throat. It had been a girl, I was now a father. Again hesitantly I walked up to her and my daughter.

“She’s gorgeous.” I whispered as I stood behind her bed and looked at my daughter for the first time.

“She’s got your eyes.” Roxanne whispered back with a smile. “Here, you should have a turn and hold her.” She added as she held out the little bundle. After a second of debating I took the bundle. Honestly there were no words at all to describe the feeling of holding my baby girl for the first time. It was just one of the best feelings that someone could have.

“And her name is?” I asked after a moment of just staring at my daughters face.

“I don’t know, I thought that her dad should name her.” She replied as our eyes met. I
thought about it for a moment as I rocked her back and forth.

“How about Angel.” I suggested after a moment of studying her wrinkled face.

“Angel McKagan.” Roxanne said thoughtfully. “I like it.”

“Any middle names?” I said as I handed Angel back to Roxanne.

“I was debating about no middle name or Izzy as one, what do you think?” She replied as she adjusted her arm, I smiled at her.

“I like Izzy as a middle name; I think it’ll suit her.” I said quietly as I bent down and kissed Roxanne’s cheek.

“Where’s the rest of them?” Roxanne asked as she looked around the room, as she realized that I was the only one in the room.

“There all in the waiting room” I replied as the little bundle let out a squeak. Roxanne sighed as she brushed part of the cloth away from Angel’s face.

“Oh, ok. Well it looks like she’s up.” Roxanne said as she tried to hand Angel back to me. I shook my head.

“I’m going to go and grab the other, and then I’ll take her back.” I told Roxanne with a smile. Roxanne nodded but didn’t take her eyes off Angel. Quietly, I opened the door walked through it and then closed it behind me, this was going to take a lot of getting use to. I walked down the maze of hallways until I reached the waiting room. Steven saw me first; he nudged Axl who stood up.

“Well?”He asked anxiously. “How is she?” I smiled in return.

“Both her and the baby are fine, come and see for yourself.” I replied, “Congrats Uncle Axl.” A wide grin broke out across Axl’s face when I said that.

“You mean? We can go see her?” Slash asked as the rest of them stood up.

“Yeah, come on.” I replied as I started to walk eagerly back towards the room, just as eagerly the others followed. I stopped outside the door to the room and gestured for them to go inside.

“I just want to know one thing before I go inside. Do I have a niece or a nephew?” Axl asked me; in return I just smiled and gestured for him to go in. More hesitantly then I was Axl opened the door and walked in, I tried to suppress a smile. He was so nervous, for who knows what reason.

“Well what are you guys waiting for? Go and see Rox!” I told them, they gave me a frightened look almost, like they were afraid to go in or something. Shaking my head I pulled open the door and walked through then very hesitantly they followed me.

“Hey Rox.” Izzy said in a strained voice, it was obvious that he was shocked to see her like that.

“Hey Izzy, hey everyone else.” Rox replied back in a tired tone.

“Where’s the little monster that we’ve all been waiting so long to see?” Slash asked as he scanned the room. Rox wasn’t holding Angel in fact I didn’t see Angel anywhere.

“Axl’s got her right now so if you want to hold her I think you’ll have to fight him; he’s kinda getting into it.” Rox said with a laugh.

“It’s a girl? Do you guys have a name picked out?” Steven asked excitedly as he peered over Axl’s shoulder. “She’s adorable.” He cooed as Axl let out a chuckle.

“Yeah we do, Rox I think you should tell them what it is.” I answered looking at Rox who sighed. Izzy and Slash looked at Rox expectantly.

“The name we have picked out is Angel Izzy McKagan.” Rox said with a quick glance at Izzy who jaw dropped.

“Seriously?” He asked us looking around at the two of us who both nodded.

“I want to hold her, let me have a turn.” Steven prodded Axl who shook his head, “Rox, Duff, Uncle Axl’s being a Meany and won’t let me hold Angel.” He whined. Rox rolled her eyes as I shook my head, why did I have a feeling that we’d be seeing a whole lot of this in the next little while.

“When do you get out of this nuthouse?” Slash asked as he looked around, “I mean they won’t let me have a smoke.” He said as Rox let out a laugh.

“I’m allowed to leave tomorrow; they’re keeping me overnight to monitor both me and Angel.” Rox replied, “Axl let Steven hold her or else I’ll get Duff to take her and no-one will be able to hold her then!” Rox added after a moment, grumbling Axl reluctantly gave up his niece to Steven.

“She’s cute, good job, both of you.” Axl said as walked over to me then nudged me. “What is it that you wanted to talk to me about Duff?” He whispered to me, I gritted my teeth, this probably wasn’t the greatest time to say something like that, especially when it was about Rox.

“Uh nothing, later.” I replied quietly, Axl nodded his head and didn’t bother me anymore.

“Steven why don’t you let Izzy and Slash hold her.” I suggested earning me an alarmed look from Slash an excited look from Izzy and a betrayed look from Steven.

“But I just got her!” Steven whined as Izzy took her from his arms expertly.

“Izzy, you look like you’ve done this before,” I teased.

“Oh yeah all the time, y’know I mean it is my daughter.” Izzy joked back.

“Izzy, I thought we agreed that we weren’t going to tell anyone about our affair.” Roxanne gasped.

“Yeah, well I have a confession too Rox, I never really loved you, I’m, I’m in love with Slash.” I confessed as I threw my arms around Slash,

“What the hell?” Slash said as he pushed me away from him. Not being able to hold it any longer Rox let out a giggle and before we knew it we were all laughing at least until we heard a wail from Angel. We all stopped and stared at the little bundle.

“Did she just?” Axl started, Axl’s answer was another wail as Rox let out another tired sigh.

“Here give her back for a bit, I think she’s hungry.” Rox said, Izzy nodded then handed her back. Steven watched intently as Rox unbuttoned the hospital pyjama’s she was wearing.
“Ouch, fuck.” Steven swore as Axl slammed his foot on Steven’s he turned to him, “what the hell was that for?” He asked, Axl didn’t answer he just glared at Steven who then shrugged and walked to the back of the room and stood beside me. “I wonder how many times you’re going to get to see that, lucky guy.” He told me with a slight chuckle. I didn’t answer him instead I rolled my eyes and elbowed him hard in the stomach. “Aweh come on, enough with the injuries.” He murmured as he fell into a chair, which Slash had so nicely decided to pull back so he hit the floor.

“Oops, I had no idea that you were going to sit here.” Slash said in a way too innocent voice, Steven just looked from him from the floor where he was sitting then fell back and slammed his head on the floor and of course with Slash being the nice person he is laughed hysterically.

“C’mon you guys leave him alone, we already have Rox in the hospital we don’t need Steven in here too.” Izzy said from where he was sitting by the door.

“Duff, come here.” Rox called from the hospital bed, from the floor Steven let out half a snicker because before he could get anymore out Slash kicked him in the stomach. Trying not to make any noise or as little as possible I walked over to her.

“Sorry I ruined your show.” Rox murmured to me as I bent down next to her. I let out a quiet chuckle as I gazed into her hazel eyes.

“You didn’t ruin it because when it’s time it’s time and I for one would’ve much rather been here with you then performing on stage. “ I told her with a small smile, in return she gave me a tired smile. “You look like you’re ready to drop. D’ya want us to leave?” I asked with some concern leaking into my voice.

“That’s one of the stupidest questions I’ve ever heard. No I don’t want you guys to leave.” She answered, “here take her.” She added as she held Angel out to me, sighing I took her as Rox buttoned up her shirt again. Holding her this time though there was quite a difference, her eyes were open and it looked like she was examining my every move. Most of her eyes were black due to the pupil but on the very edges I could see a bright blue.

“Poor kid.” Slash said as he snuck in a peek.

“Why is she a ‘poor kid.’?” Axl asked looking at him confused, I rolled my eyes; I could probably name a hundred reasons why Slash would think that, of course if I said any of them out loud I’d hear about it later in bed.

“Because she looks like Duff. That’s why.” Slash answered seriously, I shook my head and ignored him.

“Hello Angel.” I murmured to her, from the bed beside me I heard Roxanne snicker and that’s when I knew I was screwed. Not that kind of screwed of course, in other words I was seriously whipped. “Slash it’s your turn to hold her.” I said as he shook his head vigorously. “Yes your holding her and don’t try to argue.” I told him as Rox nodded in agreement. He sighed before taking Angel from me.

“Guys, look at Rox.” Axl whispered after a few minutes. I shot a quick glance at her and smiled, she was fast asleep in the bed. She had obviously been lying when she told me that she wasn’t tired.

“Here Duff, we should go.” Axl said as Slash handed Angel back, “we’re gonna go back to
the bus and childproof it. You coming?” I shot a glance at Roxanne then Angel and shook my head.

“Nah, I think I’m going to stay here.” I replied quietly as a smile broke out on both Axl and Steven’s face.

“Ok, have lots of fun. I’d hug you man but you look kinda busy.” Axl said as he looked at Angel one last time, I nodded my head as they started walking. “Oh and congrats Dad!” Axl called as the door slammed behind him. Shaking my head I sat down in one of the chairs next to the bed.

“Your uncle is an absolute raging lunatic.” I told Angel; of course she didn’t answer she just stared at me with her black eyes as if to say “you just noticed?” I shook my head and looked for a place to put Angel down, I mean she was feather light and all but after a while your arms get tired. I know that’s pathetic, I can hold a bass guitar for hours on end but not my own kid, but with the guitar most of the weight is on your shoulders and not your arms and well never mind it’s too hard to explain. After searching for a bed or something for Angel for a few minutes I finally spotted one, shoved up against the wall.

“Of course, they always have to make things difficult.” I asked thin air I listened for a moment to the silence. “Great idea moron.” I added after that moment had passed. It was hard to put Angel down in her bed I guess you could call it, she was fast asleep and looked quite content but it was still hard to let her go. Like I was afraid that if I put her down I’d wake up tomorrow and she’d be getting married or something. “Welcome to the life of parenthood.” I told myself after I had finally put her down and was sitting in a chair and watching Rox sleep. Watching her sleep just had a calming effect on me or something like that; it always had been like that, even when we were fourteen. After an hour or so I started getting drowsy, I made a weak attempt to walk it off but like I said it was a weak attempt because within moments after sitting back down I was out like a light.

Roxanne's POV

I was up two or three times that night, or that morning depending on how you looked at it, most of them were because Angel was hungry. That was the way it seemed like it was going to be, eat, sleep, bathroom break, repeat. When I lay back down in the bed after feeding her for what seemed like the millionth time I had trouble finding sleep again, so instead I watched Duff sleep. He had fallen asleep in the chair next to the bed and because he was so tall it looked as though he was about to fall on the ground, which of course probably wouldn’t have woken him up anyways, I kid you not he could sleep through Armageddon and only wake up when the walls started falling down around him. Overall it was quite a sight to see. Eventually sleep did find me and when it did I was gone.