‹ Prequel: Wasting Love
Status: Finished. But in the process of being re-written.

Roxanne

Is This Love

I was up early the next day, somewhere between eight and nine. I was careful as I got up, so that I wouldn’t wake up Duff who was more than likely sleeping off a hangover. I put on the same clothes that I had been wearing the day before and then quietly snuck out of the room. The living room I guess you could call it was more of a disaster then I thought possible. More beer cans were strewn everywhere, along with cigarette butts and pizza boxes.

“God-dammit Axl, I’m glad to see nothing’s changed since you left home.” I muttered to myself as I began picking up the beer cans and empty bottles of vodka that were everywhere. Like yesterday I shoved the empty beer bottles into a plastic garbage bag, which took probably a half an hour before Izzy looking peakish wandered out of his room.

“You okay Izzy?” I asked, concerned. He didn’t look good at all.

“Uh yeah I’ll be okay, I just need a cup of coffee, and can you turn the coffee machine on please?” Izzy replied as he slowly lowered himself into a chair.

“Sure no problem.” I said to him as I quickly filled the coffee pot with water, poured the coffee grounds in and turned it on. Izzy didn’t answer instead he let out a groan. Shaking my head I began to pile the pizza boxes in a corner until it grew into the tower of leaning pizza boxes. The coffee machine beeped once, to let me know the coffee was ready. I turned towards it.

“Where’s the cups Izzy?” I asked shooting him a glance.

“In the cupboard thing to the left of your head.” He said and then took a deep breath; I nodded then quickly opened the cupboard and fetched a mug.

“How do you want-“I started,

“Black’s fine.” He told me as he cut me off. I shrugged then poured a cupful of coffee into the mug and handed it to Izzy. “Thanks.” He said as he took a sip of it. I didn’t answer instead I grabbed one of the many pizza boxes and opened it, only to be greeted by a cloud of toxic fumes. I slammed it shut as I gasped for clean air. From where Izzy was sitting he let out a chuckle.

“Holy shit, how long have you had that pizza box for?” I asked as I threw it into a garbage bag.

“I don’t know probably from like a month ago or something like that.” Was his answer as he took another sip of coffee. I gave him a look and the rest of the pizza boxes followed its lead. Not bothering to open them for fear of what other toxic substances they might hold. Sometime during that Steven wandered out of him room in nothing but a pair of boxers and trust me you could see everything through those boxers, if you know what I mean.

“Steven, go put on a pair of pants, because no-one wants to see that.” I said turning away, from behind me I could hear Izzy take a sip of his coffee before he spat it out on the floor.

“Oops sorry Rox. I forgot we had a chick on tour with us. Nice face Izzy, you look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Steven said with a chuckle then wandered back into his room. I turned around to see Izzy’s face white as a sheet with his eyes open in horror.

“I’m scarred for life.” Izzy choked out, not being able to control myself I let out a long peeling laugh, as Axl, Slash and Duff walked aimlessly out of their rooms.

“What are you laughing’ ‘bout?” Slash asked as he made a weak attempt to brush the hair out of his face.

“Izzy just saw Steven wearing his boxers.” I replied, taking a deep breath and picking up a nearby pizza box that I had missed somehow.

“Oh that’s always a pretty sight.” Axl said as he scanned the room. “You’ve been cleaning?” He asked me.

“Well somebody has too.” I told him, and then dropped the pizza box into the trash.

“D’ya need any help?” Axl said tiredly while both Slash and Duff got mugs out and poured themselves a cup of coffee.

“Yeah, sure there’s a broom over there that you can sweep the floor with.” I said pointing in the corner at the broom. Axl gave me one of those looks and sighed.

“Fine.” He said, as he walked over to get it

“Aweh look it’s the cleaning lady.” Slash said, pointing at Axl who was sweeping the
floor. “Isn’t she the cutest thing?” He let out a loud chuckle.

“Why you-“Axl started as turned around and waved the broom threateningly at Slash.

“Guys someone better call security the cleaning lady looks like she’s pissed off for some reason.” Slash told Duff and Izzy who both smiled. “Move over” He added afterwards

“Pissed off? I’ll show you pissed off.” Axl snapped as he lunged and hit Slash’s arm with his broom. The same arm that he was holding the coffee in, the coffee spilt all over both Izzy and Duff, mostly Duff who yelped. “Oh shit man, I didn’t mean to do that.” Axl said quickly and dropped the broom. Steven picked this moment to mosey on in and I just shook my head. If this was an ordinary day I’d hate to see a weird one, or a day filled with bad luck.

“It’s fine, I don’t think I got burned badly,” Duff answered as he rolled up his sleeve where the coffee had spilt it was red but other than that like Duff had said it didn’t look too bad.

“You might want to put some ice on that.” I said quietly, as Duff looked up at me. “I’ll get it.”As I walked towards the fridge. I took out the ice tray and slammed it on the counter. The noise made all of them jump. Muttering to myself I took out three pieces of ice, put them in a zip lock bag. “Slash, catch.” I told him as I threw it at him. Slash’s hand flew up in the air as he caught it.

“Here you go.” Slash said to Duff as he took it gingerly and placed it on his arm.

“Thanks. Both of you.” He said looking at me. “Ahh, that feels so much better.” He said with a sigh of relief.

“How bad is it?” Axl asked as he tried to look over Slash’s shoulder.

“Not horrible, just the skin’s irritated.” He answered not taking his eyes off me.

“That’s not what I meant, can you still play with it or do we have to cancel the show due to coffee burns.” Axl said with a snicker.

“That’s funny Axl, real funny, I can play easily, it’s the hand I hold the bass guitar so it won’t bother me.” Duff told Axl, Slash shook his head while he watched Steven get himself a cup of coffee and spill all over himself.

“Axl what happened? I thought you were going to help me clean.” I told Axl, who had dropped the broom and was examining Duff’s hand and forearm intently.

“Oh, right I forgot. I’ll help in a minute.” Axl answered as he looked up from Duff’s arm and picked up the broom again.

“You’re actually cleaning Axl?” Steven asked in astonishment as he mopped up the split coffee.

“Yeah I’m cleaning, is there a problem?” Axl answered as he wacked Steven in the leg with the broom handle

“Nope, it’s just a shocker, since we’ve been bitching at you to clean for like a month and you finally listen after your sister tells you to.” Slash chipped in.

“I’m not the only one who’s been bitched at to clean Slash. I think everyone here has been bitched at to clean with the exception of Rox and Duff.” Axl pointed out.

“Ok fine, I’ll help. Rox anything you need help with?”Slash asked straight up, I raised my eyebrows. This was good, now hopefully they would offer and then maybe oh I don’t know keep the trailer clean.

“Yeah you can pick up all the pizza boxes that are lying around and throw them away.” I said, was quite glad that someone else had volunteered because the last thing I wanted to do was pick up old, disgusting, rotting pizza boxes, open them and check to see if the pizza inside was any good.

“Um alright then, I’m glad I always get the best jobs.” Slash said sarcastically then got up and began picking up the pizza boxes. He opened one box and I kid you not as he opened it you could see the fumes rising, he gagged before slamming it shut. “That was absolutely the fucking grossest thing ever. I’m just throwing these boxes out, screw opening them.” Slash swore then threw the pizza box away. Axl and Steven both burst out laughing while Izzy just shook his head wryly.

“Oh yeah I forgot to mention that some of the pizza boxes are absolutely fucking disgusting because they’re so old.” I said as Slash just shook his head.

“Rox, come here.” Duff said and beckoned me over, instantly I could feel every set of eyes on me. Somewhat hesitantly I walked over to him and he gently pulled me onto his lap. “I’m sorry, for everything. Especially last night, how about I make it up to you tonight?” He whispered to me. I giggled quietly.

“No it’s my fault I shouldn’t have pushed you to tell me something if you didn’t want to, and it depends what you have in mind for tonight.” I whispered back with a slight edge to my voice.

“Yo Rox, I’m done sweeping the floor, what do you want me to do now?” Axl yelled from the other room, looking at Duff I shook my head.

“Sweep it into a dust pan then put that in the trash and after that you can start cleaning the beer bottles up.” I told him, he replied with a groan.

“Well I think I’m going to go and sleep off this headache.” Izzy said as he began to wander out of the room back into his.

“Me too dude,” Steven agreed as he followed Izzy’s lead and left the room, a few moments later I heard a loud crash.

“What the hell?” Slash said shooting them a glance through his hair.

“Who know,” Was Axl’s response.

“How about you and me in a hotel room for the night.” Duff answered quietly, then shooting
a glance at Slash to make sure that he hadn’t heard.

“Are you sure we can? I mean don’t we have to leave tonight?” I asked my voice barely above a whisper. From the other room I heard Axl coughing up a storm, but we all ignored it.

“Nope, we’re not performing tonight, we’re performing tomorrow instead. It’s our schedule it’s all fucked up we were off all last week, then performed for a night, off again for another day then perform for the next two weeks straight.” He explained, “so that gives us a night of alone time.” He said winking at me, I smiled at him and cupped his face in my hand.

“Fine tonight,” I agreed after a moment, “you can take me out and we’ll see how it goes from there.” He gave me one of his heart melting smiles; in return I leaned closer towards him and kissed his cheek.

“Hey guys, look here, look what’s on the front page of the paper!” Axl shouted excitedly from outside the bus. We both let out a groan before I stood up and began walking over to the door. Behind me I could hear Duff’s footsteps following, I walked down the stairs and out the door.

“What the hell are you shouting about?” Slash said as he walked outside the bus from behind Duff.

“This!” Axl said, holding up the paper. On it was a huge picture of Duff and me, kissing. I recognized it, it was the one that the photographers had taken yesterday, and above it was a title that read “Has McKagan moved on?” Duff swore loudly from behind me as he snatched the paper out of Axl’s hands and began scanning it.

“What a bunch of shit.” Duff said, drawing stares from nearby strangers that happened to be walking by.

“What’s a bunch of shit?” Slash asked him taking a step closer to Duff.

“This whole fucking article, that’s what.” Duff answered before cleaning his throat. “Has Duff McKagan, bassist of hard rock band Guns N’ Roses finally moved on after the breakup? The answer seems to be yes after yesterday night before they were scheduled to perform. The picture above is of him and what seems to be his new girlfriend . . . blah, blah, blah.”
Duff said lamely.

“You’re right that is a bunch of shit, new girlfriend? Right, try his first girlfriend that he never really got over.” Axl said mockingly, “and I don’t think you’ve moved on from that last breakup, ‘cause you were never really there to begin with. Y’know what I mean?” Axl added looking at Duff who nodded.

“We still have a way to go before we get wherever the hell we’re performing so that means we should probably get back in the bus.” Slash said I nodded in agreement.

“C’mon let’s go.” I said to Duff who was still muttering under his breath, rolling my eyes I wrapped my arms around his neck. “Let’s go, you can bitch about the article later, when we’re not in public.” I told him.

“Fine,” he said with a sigh and began walking back into the bus as I unwrapped my arms from his neck. We basically spent the rest of the day talking about unimportant things, cleaning, drinking, and watching the guys tune their instruments and generally mess around.

“Hey Rox didn’t you take guitar lessons?” Axl asked after he had been watching Slash tune his guitar intently.

“Axl, I took guitar lessons when I was like fourteen.” I told him with a laugh.

“Oh right I forgot how long ago that was. Can you still play?” He said with a laugh as Slash looked up from his guitar.

“Can I still play? That’s gotta be the stupidest question I’ve ever heard. Yes I can still play and trust me you’d be surprised what I can play.” I said with a chuckle.

“Do you want to give it a go?” Slash asked as he held out his guitar, hesitantly I took it. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me. “D’ya need a guitar pick?” He offered a guitar pick to me.

“Nah, I don’t think I need one.” I replied quietly strumming the strings. “Now what should I
play?” I murmured.

“Something by Guns N’ Roses?” Axl said hopefully as Izzy and Steven both chuckled.

“Of course how did I not know, well I know a few songs by Guns N’ Roses, how about this one?” I said as I started to play.

“No fucking way. Nightrain.” Axl said in astonishment, him and Slash both exchanged a glance.

“Slash, shut up, we all know you play guitar but you don’t need to remind every minute.” Duff yelled as he walked into to the room.

“I’m not playing guitar, your girlfriend is.” Slash replied with a chuckle. Duff spun around and just stared at me while I played at least until I finished half the song, then I stopped.

“Why am I always the last one to know what my girlfriend can and cannot do?” Duff asked as he looked around.

“You’re not the last one to know, the rest of the world is.” Axl said as he pulled his bandana out of his hair.

“Uh, no I’m not playing in front of everyone else.” I said quickly then in one smooth motion peeled Slash’s guitar off of me and handed it back to him.

“Why not? You’re a good guitarist so why don’t you show it to the world?” Slash said to me, “I mean I did and look where I am now.” He looked around the room, Izzy and Steven both nodded in agreement.

“Because, I never wanted to be famous and have everyone know my name, I just wanted to be a typical person.” I replied quietly. “Axl was the one who always wanted to be famous, he’s the one who wanted to be known and he’s the one who wanted to be remembered.” Axl gave me a bitter smile and nodded his head.

“She’s not only a guitar player, she can sing too.” Axl said. “We’re twins so we have basically the same singing voice, hers is a bit higher but you can’t really tell.” Duff nodded in agreement, he had heard me sing a long time ago I was even surprised he remembered that.

“Sing something; I want to hear you sing.” Izzy said to me as Steven nodded his head vigorously. I sighed, Izzy was setting me up, he had heard me sing he just wanted to hear it again.

“C’mon please Rox, I want to hear you sing. I haven’t heard you sing since before you left.” Duff started before he took a breath. Both Axl and Izzy were setting me up.

“Fine, I’ll sing but only a few words.” I told them then took a deep breath. “It’s getting near dark, when lights close their tired eyes, I’ll soon be with you my love, to give you my dawn’s surprise.” I sang. My voice wavered quite a bit but overall it was pretty good.

“I’ve been waiting so long, to get where I’m going, in the sunshine of your love.” Axl sang after I stopped “How could I forget, Sunshine of Your Love by Cream that use to be one of your favourite songs.” He said quietly with a sigh.

“It still is. It’s tied with Patience and It’s Alright.” I said with a grin, as Axl rolled his eyes.

“Hey, guys look, were almost at the site.” Izzy said as he peeked out the window.

“Which means, we’re going to be leaving soon.” Duff announced

“What you guys are leaving? How come?” Steven asked as his eyes travelled around the room, they landed on Duff first before then travelled to me and that was where they stayed.

“‘Cause I’m taking Rox out tonight, that’s why.” Duff replied as he looped his arms around me.

“You’re not taking me out like that.” I told him as I wiggled out of his arms.

“Why, not?” Duff asked as he looked up and down at his outfit, “there’s nothing wrong with it.” I shook my head as I looked at him.

“Duff your wearing pyjama pants and the same Ramones t-shirt you’ve had since you were fifteen.” I said to him, “I’m not going out with you like that.” Axl gave me thumbs up from where he was sitting.

“That’s right Rox, you tell him.” He told me earning him an angry look from Duff, I smirked at Duff who sighed and looked at me.

“Fine how about a compromise? I’ll change into a different pair of pants but I can still wear my Ramones t-shirt?” He said after a moment. I thought about this.

“Fine.” I said with a sigh, I knew it was as close as I was going to get. He gave me a victorious smile as he went to go change. “I swear to god the next time you guys have a concert and he’s not wearing that shirt I’m going to burn it.” I muttered the second he had
left the room. Slash and Izzy both let out a laugh.

“He’s so whipped.” Steven said with a chuckle.

“I know but it’s cute watching him run around for her.” Izzy said as Slash nodded his head vigorously in agreement.

“You think that’s cute, you should’ve seen Duff when he was like fourteen; he did just about anything for her. Right Rox?” He asked slyly.

“Yeah I use to have him wrapped around my little finger.” I said lamely as Axl choked on his beer.

“Use to??” He asked in disbelief. “You still have him wrapped around your little finger like you wouldn’t believe. Right guys?” He asked the rest of them who nodded.

“I think we’re at the site.” Steven said as it felt like the bus rolled to a stop.

“You think, because normally there’s one hell of a noise before we get there with all the fan girls and camera’s and shit.” Slash said, no sooner then he said that did we hear one hell of a lot of screaming and yelling, without meaning to I let out a groan.

“Well should we get out now and go see what’s going out there or should we wait a bit?” Izzy asked Axl as Duff walked into the room.

“We should probably go out now before all the crazy chicks call everyone on their phone lists and so on and so forth.” Axl answered as Duff nodded his head in agreement.

“Well then what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Duff said as he offered his hand out to me, Slash and Steven both chuckled as I took it and he pulled me up against his chest.
Automatically I wrapped my arms around his neck; I was looking straight into his gorgeous blue eyes that were partially covered by his whispy brown and blonde hair. To be honest I was quite content standing there just looking into his eyes, and I’m pretty sure the feeling was mutual because he was just looking into mine.

“C’mon let’s go now.” Axl said as he grabbed Duff’s arm and shook it. He jerked a little bit and just like that whatever had happened between us was gone.

“Oh, right, let’s go Rox.” He said to me after a moment, I smiled and them as I unwrapped my arms from around his neck, I took a step forward without him and then he spoke. “Hey, wait for me, or are you just planning to leave without me.” I turned and shook my head.

“I’ll never leave without you” I said quietly, a smile appeared on his face as he stepped forward and grabbed my hand.

“Can we please go now?” Axl begged it was then that we realized we weren’t alone.

“Yeah, let’s go.” Duff said as the rest of them all stood up, without any hesitation Slash walked up to the door and pushed it open. I let out a small groan that was muffled instantly as Axl nudged me in the ribs.

“C’mon you guys, let’s get a move on!” Slash shouted from outside the trailer, Axl let out a laugh as him, Izzy and Steven attempted to walk out of the trailer arm in arm. Don’t ask me how but somehow they did get out. I rolled my eyes as Duff let out a laugh and we walked outside to join the others. The response was instantaneous camera’s flash and fan girls screamed.

“It just never gets old.” Axl said with a chuckle as we walked up beside him.

“Never.” Duff agreed as Slash threw his arm around Duff’s shoulder and he did vice versa.

“Maybe we should give the people something to talk about again, hey Rox?” Duff asked slyly.

“How about not, I think we’ve given them a lot to talk about lately.” I answered as Duff let go of my hand and casually I let my hand wander down to his quad well just as casually he moved his arm so it was slung around my neck. We stood outside for a bit longer as the
band signed autographs and chatted with fans.

“I’m going to go back in the bus and get ready.” I told Duff who was talking to a fan, when he heard that he stopped and looked at me.

“Alright babe, I’ll be there in a little, ok.” He said as I nodded my head. “Come here.” He said as he pulled me up against him and kissed me gently all around us cameras flashed as I pulled away I brushed a strand of hair out of his face.

“Love you,” I murmured to him as I let my hand travel down his body

“Love you too and I always will,” He murmured back to me, “now go and get ready because
we’re going to be leaving soon.” He told me then snuck in a peck on the cheek before he let me go. Cameras were still flashing all around us, eager fans trying to get in a shot or two. I walked back to the bus and pretty soon I was inside the bus, I could still hear the fans screaming and yelling but it wasn’t as loud as it had been when I was outside. Quickly I dug through my bag full of clothes and picked out something nice, I grabbed my makeup bag along with my hair curler and dryer, and ran into the bathroom. I stripped off my clothes and jumped into the shower, then after a quick rinse and hair wash I got out and dried myself off; from outside the bathroom I heard the door open and close as well as voices. I put on the clothes that I had picked out and dried my hair then proceeded to brush and then curl it. Then I began to apply my makeup, normally I didn’t put on makeup, sure maybe a little mascara and eyeliner every now and then and not wanted to overdo it that’s all I put on mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow and a little lip gloss. When I looked in the mirror I was somewhat happy with myself but not quite sure if Duff would be happy with it.

“See ya tomorrow Rox, we’re all going out for a bit, have fun on your date with Duff.” Axl called; from behind them I heard Izzy, Steven and Slash yell their goodbyes to. I waited a few moments and fixed up my makeup before I walked out. Duff had been sitting in the living room, drinking a glance of water, when he heard the door open he looked up and nearly spit it out.

“Oh wow Rox, you look amazing.” He said as he looked over my outfit.

“Thanks, are you sure that I didn’t over dress or anything because if I did-“I started before Duff cut me off.

“Rox, you look beautiful, and you’re not over dressed if anything I’m under dressed.” He said as he stood up and walked towards me, “c’mon let’s go, I called a taxi, it’s not the most luxurious way to travel but it is the least noticeable.” He started but before he finished I put my finger over his mouth.

“It doesn’t matter to me how we get around” I kissed him on the cheek he didn’t answer instead he smiled at me, “let’s go I think I hear the taxi outside.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Name:
Is This Love
Whitesnake