‹ Prequel: Can't Stay Away
Status: Please be patient. I'll update when I can, because I'm in college now.

You're Everything I Need

Gift

I knew he was back at home. I also knew that his mom was keeping him home. He’d start his senior year over again next year. I assumed she wasn’t going to send him to a different school though. Which was good.

It was almost Christmas, and I had gotten a gift for Ryan. A book that I knew he had wanted to read. I knew that he hadn’t read it yet—it came out while he was in a coma. I had wrapped it nicely, attaching a short note to the top with some tape. Spencer was going to bring it over to Ryan’s. Ryan didn’t mind seeing Spencer. After all, Spencer hadn’t put him into a coma.

Ryan’s P.O.V.

I hate my house. Everything about it. Every room. It was the set for the memories that flooded my mind, refusing to leave me alone. Every room I walked into caused a different memory to play out. My room was the worst. I spent as little time as I could in there.

Everything in that room reminded me of Brendon. The bed, the desk, the window. My bed still smelled like him, not matter how many times I changed my sheets. I was going to go insane.

There was a knock on my front door, interrupting me from my thoughts. I stood up carefully from my place on the living room floor (I refused to sit on the couch), and made my way to the door. When I opened it, I smiled at Spencer who smiled back.

“Hey Spencer,” I said, standing back so he could come in. I noticed a gift in his hands and my smile faltered. “I didn’t get you anything.”

“What?” Spencer said. I pointed at the present.

“I didn’t get you anything,” I repeated.

“Oh,” Spencer said. “This isn’t from me actually.”

I stared at him for a moment before my eyes returned to the rectangular parcel in his hands.

“Then who’s it from?” I asked. I already had a good idea of who it was.

“Um, Brendon,” Spencer said quietly. I shut my eyes at the sound of his name. Another thing that brought up memories.

“I don’t want it,” I said evenly after a moment.

“Ryan,” Spencer said. I opened my eyes and looked at him. His eyes were pleading with me. And I almost felt bad that he was in the middle of all of this. Almost.

No, I’m not heartless. But he’s the one who got himself involved in all of this. It was his own fault for being stuck in the middle.

“Just take it,” Spencer said, holding it out to me. I ignored it and turned away.

“I think you should leave,” I said. “I’m not feeling well today.”

I went into the living room, sitting back on the floor. I heard a sigh and then the front door opened and closed. I felt bad for treating Spencer like that. But he kept reminding me of Brendon. He always seemed to mention him at least once in our conversation, not seeming to understand that I don’t want to talk about it.

I stood up again and headed back to the front entrance. And as I had expected, I found the gift sitting on the small table by the door. I looked at it warily, curious as to what was hidden by the gift wrap. But I was even more curious about was the small envelope that was attached to it, my name written clearly in his handwriting on top. I took a cautious step toward it. And then I realized that it was silly of me to be scared of a gift. A gift! I sighed and snatched it up, holding it loosely in my hands. I pulled off the card, saving it for after. I ripped the wrapping paper off to find a book. A book that I had wanted to read. I’d barely even mentioned it—but he had remembered. I set the book down on the table.

My attention was now on the small envelope. I opened it, and slowly pulled out the piece of paper, with only a sentence on it:

I’ll always be there for you, like you were always there for me.
Love, Brendon


I stared at it for a moment before crumpling it up.

I didn’t want Brendon anywhere near me. That was one mistake I would not be making again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really want to start a new story--but I know that that's not a good idea. Cause I don't have as much time to update and I already have several stories I haven't even finished. :P
Anyways, comments? :]
~Sally