‹ Prequel: Second Chances

Everlasting Love

Chapter 35

“Carlisle! Are you alright?” Edward gasped as he lurched over to Carlisle who was just standing there.

“Yes why?” Carlisle answered his son calmly; I kept my attention on the Volturi but I was listening to everything around me.

“Jane” Edward stated simply; as soon as Edward spoke I could sense Jane attacking different vampires around me.

When I sense an attack I can somehow pin point who’s attacking in a split of a second; I get this prickly, uncomfortable feeling that runs through my whole body. The feeling is sharper for people who are closer to me; so for all my family it’s a sharp feeling but for friends then it feels blunter. My eyes flicker over to see a furious looking Jane; I smirk slightly as I control her. I make her stop attacking us then I’ll let her go, then I’ll stop her again and let her go.

“Why aren’t they waiting for the decision?” Tanya hissed.

“Normal procedure, they normally incapacitate whoever is on trail so they can’t escape” Edward replied coldly; Jane’s bright red eyes were now locked on mine as I continued to mess with her.

Jasper tightened his grip on my hand as he too watched the guard; a slow hiss sounded from his throat as he felt all of Jane’s anger towards me. Jane wasn’t just furious with me; she was glaring darkly at Bella too. My smirk widened as Bella smiled smugly at Jane; this pushed her over the edge as a loud snarl flowed from her mouth. All of the guard jumped in shock and turned their attention onto her; Alec grabbed her arm and wrapped her tightly in his arms.

“Are you ok?” Bella choked out to Edward; she was worried about not feeling Alec’s attack.
“Yes” Edward whispered back to his wife.

“Is Alec attacking?” Bella asked in a quiet whisper.

“His gift is slower then Jane’s, it creeps so it should touch us in a few seconds” Edward told his wife quietly.

A low rumbling murmured under our feet and a strong gust of wind blew between us and where the Volturi stood. Benjamin had seen the crawling attack too; so he tried to blow the threat away from us. The wind picked up some snow and tossed it around in the air; it was easier to see the fog creeping towards us. But the fog didn’t move; the fog was immune.
Within a few seconds I felt a dull poking feeling flood my body; Alec’s gift was getting closer to us and the closer it got the sharper the feeling in my body got. Even through I couldn’t see Alec’s gift I could sense where it was; it was crawling up Bella’s shield that was surrounding us.

Alec was trying to find a hole or crack in Bells wall but I could sense quiet clearly what Bella’s wall looked like now; so I knew Alec wouldn’t be able to get to us.
I did the same to Alec as his sister; I played with his gift as it crawled up Bella’s shield. Every time I stopped Alec so did the fog; I smiled smugly at him as I forced his fog back a couple of inches. That caused his angelic face to shatter; his eyes narrowed at both Bella and I, while doubt covered his face for probably the first time.

“Before we vote, let me remind you that there needs to be no violence” Aro said; his voice stopped us talking to each other, everyone was marking their targets. Bella and I were to focus on Jane and Alec but I was also told to keep my eyes on everyone; if someone needed help then I was to help them out.

“It would be a great waste to our kind to lose any of you. But especially you Edward, your mate Bella and sweet young Alex. The Volturi would be glad to welcome many of you into our ranks; Alex, Bella, Benjamin, Kate, Zafrina. There are many choices for all of you, consider them” Aro spoke in a deep calm voice.

“Let us vote then” Aro called out slightly as his eyes wandered over us all; he was looking for anyone who was having second thoughts, and when he find nothing he had to carry on.

“This child is unknown to us; there is no reason to allow such a risk to exist. It must be destroyed; along with all who protect it” Caius smiled in anticipation.

“I don’t see any immediate danger; this child is safe enough for now. We can always reevaluate later; let us leave in peace” Marcus said his uncaring eyes lifted up so he was looking at us; his voice was quiet and even.

“I must make the deciding vote, it seems” Aro said; as the guard stayed tense and ready to attack.

“Yes” Edward hissed; I risked a quick glance over at Edward. What I saw shocked me somewhat; his body was tense but his face held triumph, I didn’t understand why seeing as Aro had our life in his hands right now.

“Aro?” Edward called out; he practically yelled out, you could clearly hear the victory in his voice as he didn’t hide it one bit.

“Yes Edward? You have something further to say?” Aro hesitated for a second as he took in Edward’s new mood.

“Perhaps, I just want to clarify one point through. The danger you foresee from my daughter, this seems entirely from our inability to guess how she will develop? So if we could just know for sure exactly what she will become, then there would be no need for this council” Edward said unable to control his excitement any longer.

“If there was some way to be absolutely sure of what she will become, then yes there would be nothing to debate” Aro said, his feathery voice become slightly sharp as he couldn’t see where Edward was taking this conversation.

“Then I do have something else to offer. Renesmee is very unique and rare but not one of a kind. Would you care to join us Alice” Edward called the last part out.

Alice was here? A number of people whispered Alice’s name as we were all shocked by this news; Esme, most of our friends, Bella, myself and even Aro whispered Alice’s name.
I felt so much joy and relief when I heard the running footsteps; they were coming closer and closer to our position and they didn’t show any signs of slowing down. No one moved an inch as we all saw Alice dance gracefully into the clearing; Spencer was right behind her, his eyes sharp as he looked around the clearing.

Then behind them were three vampires that I didn’t know; the first was a tall, muscular female with wild dark hair, that was obviously Kachiri. She had the same long limbs and build as the other Amazons. Then there was a small olive skinned female vampire; she had a long braid of black hair moving against her back, her deep red eyes wandered nervously around the clearing, seeing the confrontation that was right in front of her. Next was a young man who wasn’t as fast or graceful as the other vampires; his skin was a beautiful dark brown, his wary teal eyes also wandered around the clearing, his hair was black and braided, over all he was absolutely beautiful.

But as the five of them got closer and closer to where we were standing everyone heard something that shocked us to the core; a heartbeat, we all heard a heartbeat that was accelerated from running some hard and fast. Alice, Spencer and the others easily walked through Bella’s shield and over to the front line; Alice stood beside Edward making him, Bella, Esme and Carlisle reach out to touch her arm.

“Alice has been searching for her own witnesses these past few weeks; Alice why don’t you introduce the witnesses you have brought” Edward stated to Aro and the guard a lot more calmer then he was before; I watched as rage filled Caius’ eyes as Edward spoke.

“The time for witnesses is past! Cast your vote Aro, now!” Caius snarled but I could tell from Aro’s eyes that he was just as interested in our new witnesses then we were; he wasn’t going to case his vote just yet. Aro raised a single finger to silence his brother; his eyes were glued to Alice right now.

“This is Huilen and her nephew, Nahuel” Alice said after taking a small step forward; hearing her voice again was like music to my ears, I never realized just how much I missed her and Spencer.

“Speak, Huilen” Aro demanded; Huilen looked at Alice before she started to speak. Huilen spoke clearly and had a slight English accent; as she told her story you could tell she had practiced along the way here.

Her story was of her beautiful sister, Pire, falling in love with a vampire; in the end the vampire got Pire pregnant and then left. Huilen ran away with her sister; they lived out in the woods. Huilen cared for Pire as much as she could; she planned on killing the baby and trying to saving her sister, but Pire loved her baby so much and called him Nahuel. Huilen couldn’t save her sister; Nahuel ripped his way through her causing Pire to die quickly, Huilen promised her sister that she would care for her nephew, but Nahuel bit Huilen turning her into a vampire.

After Huilen was finished telling her story Aro asked Nahuel some questions; like how old he is, what his diet is, what age he stopped growing, has he changed since then, can he create an immortal. It turns out that Nahuel has sisters who can’t bear children but he can. Aro then asked Nahuel to tell his story; Nahuel’s father came looking for him a couple of years after his mother’s death. His father already had two daughters and wanted Nahuel to join him; Nahuel refused because he had Huilen, he sees his father from time to time. Nahuel’s fathers name is Joham; he sees himself as a scientist, he wants to create a new super race of vampires.

“Is your daughter venomous?” Caius asked rather harshly as his eyes moved over to Bella and Edward; I felt Jacob’s body tense more at the tone of Caius’ voice and the question. I ran my fingers through his soft fur; I felt my brother’s body relax a tiny bit as he calmed himself down slightly.

“No” Bella answered firmly; Aro looked into the eyes of Carlisle, Edward and finally Bella.

“There seems to be no danger here; this is an unusual development, but I see no threat here. These half vampire children are much like us, it seems” Aro’s voice was soft and feathery again.

“And this Joham? Maybe we need to talk to him” Caius scowled as Aro made his vote; I felt my body fill with relief as Aro realized that we had done nothing wrong and no one was going to be in danger.

“Stop Joham if you want but please leave my sisters alone, their innocent in all of this” Nahuel said; his voice was flat but beautiful at the same time. Aro nodded once to show Nahuel that he would as he wanted; Aro turned around to face the guard, a smile placed on his face.

“Dear ones, we do not fight today” Aro called; the guard nodded once together and then straightened out of their attack positions.

I felt the blunt poking feeling of Alec’s attack start to slowly back off of Bella’s shield and away from us; but I was still fully concentrated just in case this was a trick, but from Aro’s eyes I could tell he was telling the truth about no fighting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment! I love knowing what you all think of my story, so take a few seconds to comment!