We're Gonna Make It out of This Town

Colours

Blake patted Matt's chest and ran off to the school. Brian and Jimmy rolled their eyes when Taylor Crowley stood in her way. They couldn't make out what he was saying, but judging by Blake's expression, it wasn't good. Zach began the trek across the parking lot before any of the others could even think of moving. His little sister was close to tears - whether from anger or embarrassment, no one knew. But nobody messed with Zach's sister; that was common knowledge.

"What do you want, Crowley?"

"Zach, I can handle this.''

"Aw, can Blake not go one day without her brother and bodyguards?"

"Crowley, I swear to God---"

"Oh, wait. He's not really your brother, is he? That's right. I remember. Your parents ditched you in the grocery store. They didn't want you. No one did. No one does."

Blake's tears spilled over, and Jimmy shoved the quarter back backwards into the brick wall. Zach's eyes shot between his sister and the fight; he concentrated on the crying sixteen-year-old. He held her as the other three continued to pummel the football player's face. Suddenly, a loud whistle caught everyone's attention; Blake stiffened.

"Guys, go. You can't be caught."

They all took off running before the football coach neared enough to see their faces. Taylor held his bleeding nose; against her better judgment, Blake stepped in front of him, gave him a dirty look, and allowed her foot to connect with his gut. She felt relief begin coursing through her, and, when he leaned forward to clutch his stomach, she swung, hitting him in his already-broken nose.

"Miss Baker!"

"Let me go!"

"Stop now. What is the meaning of this? School hasn't even started, and you're already begging for trouble. To the principal's office, young lady. C'mon, Crowley. Let's go see the extent of the damage."

"I'm sure it's quite extensive, Coach," Blake announced proudly. "I made sure it hurt him as much as he's been hurting me."

"Principal's!"

"Eh, I was most likely going to end up there today anyway. Have fun, Taylor."

"Bitch."

"You haven't seen bitch yet, fucker."

Sje grabbed her messenger bag from the ground and noticed a tablet only a few feet away. Brian's notebook. Before the coach could see it, she shoved it into her bag, pushed past the two, and went inside.

"Suspension?"

"Yes, Mom. Starting today. So please come get me."

"Blake, I can't. I'm terribly busy."

"Fine. Thanks anyway. I'll find someone."

"Sorry, honey."

"I know, Mom. I love you, and I'll see you tonight."

"Okay. Love you, too, honey."

"Thanks, Mrs. Fox."

"Anytime. Is someone on their way?"

"I think I just found somebody. Hang on. Jay!"

"Oh, hey, Blake."

"Wanna do me a huge favour?"

"Sure. Anything."

"Give me your keys."

"Did I say 'anything?' I meant, anything but that."

"Please, Jason. I need a ride home, and you've skipped too much already. You'll be kicked out if you leave."

"Sorry, Blake, but you're not taking my car. No, not happening."

"Jay, I'm suspended. If I'm not off campus within an hour, I'll be arrested. Do you really want your best friend's baby sister in the can?"

"Hang on. I know somebody. Give me five minutes."

"Hurry."

She flopped onto a grey plastic chair in the main office. Mrs. Fox kept glancing at her watch, as if just waiting to pounce on the opportunity to call the cops on Blake. It was all because of her hair, she knew it. She picked up a lock of teal and glared at it.

"Mrs. Fox, what colour?"

"I-it looks turquoise, Blake."

"It's teal, actually, but I was talking about my next dye job. What colour should I go?"

"Why don't you go your natural colour?"

"So mundane. I like to make an impression."

"Believe me; you do."

"Why do you hate me?"

"Pardon?"

"You seem to really hate me."

"Of course I don't."

"Then why do you act like you do?"

"I don't know---"

"Blake, meet Val. She's going to give you a ride home. Val, Blake's sister."

"Nice hair."

"Nice face."

Val looked wounded. "I was being sincere."

"So was I. Now can we just go? Fox is terrible at making conversation."

"Have a good suspension, Blake."

"Have a terrific day, Mrs. Fox."

She breezed out the main doors ahead of Val; Jason waved at them. The black-haired female unlocked a baby-blue Mustang, and Blake wrinkled her nose at the colour.

"Hey, my parents chose it. If I'd had my way, it'd be black or silver."

"Good choices. do you really like my hair?''

"It's a pretty shade, but not you, you know?"

"Then what colour's me?"

""Hmmm . . . Come on. I could do with a day off."

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

With that, Val turned up the volume on the stereo system that was already playing, gave Blake a wicked grin, and stepped on the gas pedal. Blake knew she'd finally found a best friend - one that wasn't male.