Let Me Perfect It

Weighted Words

Image

Chloe's POV

I backed away from Brendon a few inches, sitting upright on the blanket he'd spread on the grass. My eyes scanned the objects laying around - a bag full of food, with a few sandwiches removed and on the blanket, and a small bunch of flowers wrapped in clear plastic, bought from a store.

He bought me flowers.

He... loves me.

No words came to mind. I felt myself biting my lip, physically unable to speak or otherwise respond to those important, weighted words. I didn't want to close myself off from Brendon again; but I felt myself turning cold - goosebumps lined my skin, and they weren't caused by the small breeze blowing through the flat land of the park.

The thought of someone getting close enough to me to feel something so strong as love was scary terrifying. So much pressure came from being loved, in my experience; enough pressure to make me break, not quite turn into a diamond.

"Brendon..." I started, unsure of where the response was going.

It was obvious that he heard the worry in my voice. "I didn't mean to scare you," He said simply.

"I know you didn't," I said simply, the ice forming around my heart melting. "I just, I care about you. But I can't say... that. Not yet."

"That's totally understandable," He said, smiling slightly. "I had to say it, and I am not going to revoke it, but I'll hold back from saying it again. It's fine."

"Thank you, Brendon. So much." I grinned. "But, we should probably eat and head back before everyone leaves without us."

"Good idea," He agreed.

---

Brendon ended our date with a light peck on the lips outside of my bus before he headed to his own. I walked inside, the flowers in hand.

Angie was in the kitchen, pulling a few drinks from the fridge. "Hey, Chloe," She greeted with a small smile. "Sophie's been wondering where you were." Before I could respond, she added, "She's on the big bed, not feeling too well."

My eyebrows furrowed. "What happened?"

"She'll explain," She said, her voice sounding slightly sad.

As quickly as I could I went to the back room and to the big bed. Without thinking I dropped the flowers on the floor and ran over to hug Sophie, who sat cross-legged and had swollen red eyes and tear-stained cheeks. "What the hell happened?" I asked, the details of my date instantly leaving my mind, replaced with concern.

"William," She said simply. Shit.

"What about him?"

"He... he was practically using me," She said, her voice cracking. I knew she was holding back tears. She went on to explain something about a bet with Pete, Angie slightly flipping out, and yelling at William about everything.

"I'm so sorry, Sophie," I said, unable to think of more helpful words. "Do you want me to talk to him? Get some sort of explanation from him or something?"

"I don't know," She shrugged. "I just never want to see his fucking face again in my entire life."
♠ ♠ ♠
So short :/