Come back to me

One

Hey i’m Alba Rose Angel Maudes. Rose after my mother and Angel because my father said i looked like and Angel when i was born.

August 2006 was when we met.

He was 21.

I’d just turned 19.

We’d both had a hard summer and i guess we just found an escape in each other. He didn’t know about my past and i didn’t think he’d screwed over England in the world cup.

On August 18th i was moving to Manchester. I’d lived in Milan my whole life.

I’d taken trips to different countries to do movies but i’d never called another place home. Now thanks to my stupid ex-boyfriend i was moving country, my family was moving country and i was leaving my career behind.

My parents and sister were moving to Madrid. My brother had moved over there last year for college. So I told my parents to get out of Italy but not follow me to Manchester.

My best friend lives in Manchester which is why i chose that as my next home.

She was born in Milan as well and our parent’s have been close friends ever since we met at play school. Her mom was originally born in Manchester and Jessica had always wanted to go back and see what her mom had left behind.

Jessica is the reason i’m still battling on.

She helped me through the rumours, and that’s all they were, she also offered to let me stay with her if living in Milan got to stressful.

I was able to stay strong for about a month but once the world cup ended i was pushed into the spotlight again.

Fortunately Italy was the only country that published the story. Which ment England was a safe place for me to move.

I felt guilty about living with Jessica, even though i had no job, she insisted it would be fun and that i could stay there as long as i wanted.

So at 5:30am on August 18th i was boarding a plane to Manchester.

Even though the sun was only just begging to rise it was still warm. That’s what i loved about Italy, among lots of other things, it was mostly always warm no matter what time of day it was.

Anyway the flight to Manchester only took a few hours. I was in first class which ment i was able to sleep without getting disturbed. I woke up 10 minutes before we landed and looked out of the window.

As i’d expected it was raining heavily. I was pleased that i didn’t have to step outside once we’d landed. I only had my hand luggage because i’d flown all of my things over here before. I was happy to be able to stand up once the plane had landed.

I rushed through the security and walked into the waiting area. I grinned as i saw Jessica. She turned around and ran towards me. I hugged her tightly as she did the same to me.

To the rest of the people in the room it must have looked weird but for us, we’d had to spend 8 months apart not seeing each other with just video calls to remind show us the changes we’d both made.

“I love you hair” she commented as we pulled apart.

I laughed and twisted a strand of my long hair around my finger. I’d always kept my hair short and never longer than shoulder length but over the past 8 months i’d been growing it and only having it trimmed.

“I love yours to” i stated.

Jessica had dyed her hair from a soft caramel colour to a dark brown.

We walked into the cool Manchester morning. “I don’t suppose you’ve bought an umbrella?” i asked knowing the answer would be no.

“Sorry, i arrived before it started to rain” she replied smiling softly and linking arms with me.

“I suppose we have to run” i stated looking out onto the rain soaked pavement and checking if there was any paparazzi.

“There wasn’t any when i came in and i don’t think they know where you going” she explained as if she’d read my mind.

I nodded and we rushed over to her car. “I was thinking we could just order a take-away tonight and chill on the couch” Jessica said as she started up the car.

I nodded and smiled softly. “Yeah, that’ll be good” i mumbled looking out of the window at the steady fall of the rain.

“Is the story out over here?” i asked softly.

Jessica sighed softly “no, and i promised i wouldn’t let it happen” she stated.

I nodded slightly and let my thoughts wonder.

I knew that sooner or later i would have to face up to the fact that the story would be sold in this country and i’d have to stand strong again and act like it didn’t bother me.

All because i dumped him because i found out he was cheating.

In some weird screwed up way he thought that i deserved my career shattered. If i remember correctly he said that i had it coming to me because i was so unloving and cold.

“Allie” Jessie called shaking my arm.

“Yeah?” i asked looking at her.

“You ok? You seemed in a sort of trance” she asked.

I nodded slightly and smiled briefly. “Just thinking about stuff” i mumbled. Jessie nodded “well we’re nearly there now” she stated.

I nodded and looked over to my best friend.

She’d changed a lot; lost weight, dyed her hair, and looked a lot happier.

I knew that smile, she only ever smiled like that when she was – “are you dating someone?” i asked smirking.

Jessie blushed and nodded but kept her eyes firmly fixed on the road.

“I want details, when did you start dating? When did you have sex? If you have had sex what was it like? Are you living together?” i asked eagerly.

“We’ve been dating about 6 months, a month after we started dating, it was amazing and yes, we are living together and it was his idea for you to come and stay with us instead of going to a hotel” she explained a faint blush crossing her cheeks.

I sighed and smiled happily.

“I’m really happy for you but why didn’t you tell me about him?” i asked.

“You were having trouble in your own love life and we were going steady, but i know that you’ll love him, he loves your movies” she explained.

I laughed softly “i’ll have to interrogate him and find out what his intensions are?” i teased.

Jessie laughed and nodded “that is another reason why i didn’t tell you because you’d just Google him” she stated.

“True” i replied.

She was correct but she did the same to me with my boyfriends. Whenever we knew each other’s boyfriends full names we’d Google them and see if they had anything on there that the other should know about.

Fortunately we never found anything really juicy on them.

“How does he feel about Di?” i asked.

Di was short for Diego and Diego was Jessica’s 2-year-old son. “He was wierded out at first but now he seems to be ok with things” she explained smiling almost sadly.

“You know if he’s not completely happy about the situation then he’s not worth the trouble, babe” i reminded her.

She nodded and pulled into a quiet estate with a line of terraced houses opposite a park.

“This is your new home” she said pulling into her drive.

I smiled and got out of the car, looking up at the small, cream terraced house. She had a small front yard with a few flowers dotted around the edge of a patch of grass.

As she unlocked the front door it seemed like she had the perfect family home.

Cream carpet and magnolia walls were in the hallway with a set of stairs leading up onto the second floor. She led me into the living room where Diego was sitting on a blood red couch eating a piece of toast.

“I’ll be back in a minute” Jessie said walking out of the room.

I smiled and looked around the living room that joined onto a dining room. There was wooden flooring and all the walls were white apart from one wall which was the same colour red as the couch.

There was a TV in the corner of the room and a white fire place built into the red wall. On the fireplace there were pictures. Some of Jessie and Diego, Diego and i, Jessie and i, Jessie and her family and one picture of Jessie and a man which i was guessing was her boyfriend.

“Auntie?” Diego asked.

I smiled and turned my attention to the green eyed child that was smiling happily.

“Hey Diego” i replied smiling.

His eyes lit up and he waved at me just as he was waving Jessie walked into the room.

“Allie this is Karl” she said as the man from the photo walked into the room.

I smiled and held out my hand “Alba” i said smiling.

“Karl” he replied smirking softly and shaking my hand.

“Sorry about not being able to stay any longer but i have work” he said kissing Jessie on the cheek and walking back out of the room.

“Where does he work?” i asked watching as the car pulled out of the driveway.

“He’s a security guard at the Trafford centre” she said.

I nodded “wanna show me the rest of the house?” i asked. She nodded and picked up Diego before walking out of the room.

“Well you can explore downstairs while i put Diego down for his nap” she said walking up the stairs.

I nodded and walked into the kitchen, it was modern with a breakfast island in the middle. It was white again with black marble counter tops.

Soon after i’d walked out of the kitchen Jessie was back downstairs.

“I’ll show you your room if you grab your bag” she said. I nodded and picked up the bags i’d left in the hall-way when we had first come into the house.

After showing me her bedroom door, Diego’s bedroom door and inside the bathroom which again was white and a soft green colour and smelt of apples, she showed me my bedroom.

A big bay window with white drapes was opposite the door, there was a double bed, a white dressing table, a white closet and it had white walls and wooden flooring.

“It’s not much but...” she said trailing off.

I bit my lip and hugged her tightly “its great thanks, i’m really happy that your letting me stay” i stated.

She smiled and nodded “well feel free to add pictures or paint it or whatever makes it feel more your own” she said.

I smiled and placed my bags on my new bed. “I think i might just chill out here for awhile if that’s ok?” i asked.

“Sure i think i might get some sleep in while Diego naps” she said smiling and walking out of my bedroom.

I closed the door softly and opened my bag.

I’d bought all of my photos with me in my hand luggage.

They were the things i couldn’t live without when i was in my last week in Milan. I picked out each photo and pulled out the photo frames that were lying on the nightstand.

I smiled as i noticed that Jessie had unpacked all 4 of my suitcase which i had sent over.

I slipped my photos into the frames and placed 3 of them on my dressing table.

There was one of my family, then there was one with me holding my little sister and my oldest cousin sitting next to me, then the last was of me and my brother after our auntie had gotten married.

On my night stand i placed a picture of me and Jessie after we’d just finished our last year at school, then there was another picture of Jessie who was lying in a hospital bed smiling widely holding Diego in her arms and me sitting kissing her cheek, Diego was now more than 5 hours old.

I looked into my bag to see i still had a few more pictures which i slipped into the gap between the mirror and the wood encasing it on my dressing table. I then placed my photo album under my bed and left the empty bag on the floor.

I lay back slowly on my bed and closed my eyes as the soft mattress adjusted to my weight.

Sighing i let sleep take over and the next time i opened my eyes my watch read 12:32. I smiled and pushed myself off of the bed.

I rubbed my eyes sleepily and trudged down the stairs.

I heard faint voices coming from the kitchen and turned into the door. “Di you have to eat a proper meal” Jessie said placing a squirming Diego into his highchair.

I chuckled and she turned her head to face me.

“How was your sleep?” she asked walking over to the fridge. “Great, i forgot what it feels like to sleep in a proper bed of your own after stopping in that hotel” i said sitting opposite Diego.

“Mommy wants me to eat peanut butter” he stated pouting slightly.

“Eww” i said. Diego nodded and i looked over at Jessie “i bet you’d like cheese?” i offered Diego. He nodded and bounced slightly.

“Just a bit” i said looking over at Jessie again.

She laughed softly and pulled cheese out of the fridge. “You’ve always been so good with him” she said placing a cheese sandwich in front of him. I shook my head.

“I learnt from you and every kid likes cheese” i replied.

She shook her head “no, you’ve always been good with kids, even when we were 16 and first started babysitting you knew exactly what they wanted” she explained standing back up and walking over to the counters.

“You want some pasta, or a sandwich or something?” she asked.

“How about we go out for lunch, we can get Diego fed and everything and then i can buy you lunch” i suggested.

Jessie smiled and nodded slightly.

“I suppose i could let my rich, sexy actress girlfriend buy me lunch” she said smiling.

I laughed and nodded “i haven’t had girly lunches in ages” i stated standing up “which also means i have to go get ready.”

I rushed up the stairs and into my bedroom.

I peeked out of the window and checked the weather.

Raining still.

I sighed and walked over to my closet to find some suitable clothes. I pulled out some trainers and based my outfit around them.

I slipped on some dark blue cut-off jeans with a white belt. I then put on a white t-shirt with a checked tank-top over the top. I grabbed some gold bangles, a black beaded necklace and some white hooped earrings before grabbing my black bag and walking downstairs.

“Will you watch Di while i go and get changed?” Jessie asked. I nodded and sat on the living room floor next to Diego.

“Are you sleepy?” i asked as he rubbed his eyes. He nodded softly and looked around lazily.

I spotted a dummy on the coffee table and picked it up “you have dummy’s when you sleep?” i asked.

He nodded and held his hand out.

After placing the dummy in his mouth he stood up and walked out of the room.

I stood up and quickly followed him.

“Where are you going?” i asked taking his hand and leading him back into the living room.

“Mommy” he said rubbing his eyes again. I nodded and pulled him onto my lap.

“She’ll be back down soon” i promised rocking him slowly.

Soon after Diego was asleep Jessie walked into the living room. “We can go now if you’re ready?” she asked. I nodded and picked Diego up as i stood.

After placing Diego in his car seat Jessie got into the car.

“Where do you want to go?” she asked.

I shrugged “what do you fancy for lunch?” i asked.

“How about pasta from that little Italian just outside the Trafford centre?” she offered.

I smiled happily and nodded “sure, drive there” i said.

She nodded and pulled out of the driveway. We were at the restaurant within 10 minutes and walking into the cosy place out of the rainy streets of Manchester.

“So what’s been happening since we last properly saw each other?” she asked rocking a sleeping Diego in his buggy.

I shrugged “people still hate me in Italy, i have been followed by the press none stop, nobody believes anything that i say and my parents have had messages sent to their house” i said laughing softly at the last part.

“Oh come on, it wasn’t that bad, and anyway you didn’t even do it” she exclaimed.

I nodded “i know but some people believe what they read in the papers” i replied.

She sighed “well it’ll all blow over the next time you visit” she insisted.

I shook my head “maybe, but i think i might just lay low over here for awhile” i said.

“So what are you saying to anybody over here who asks why you’re not in Italy?” she asked.

“Well, i’ve been thinking about that, and, i was thinking i could maybe say that i’m taking a break from acting for a year or so and helping out my best friend with her little boy, and just enjoying the last of my teenage years” i explained.

Jessie smiled “ok, that sounds good and i’m sure you’ll soon be down with the famous people of Manchester” she teased.

“What famous people live in Manchester apart from footballers, WAGS and comedians?” i asked.

“Actress’ now you’ve moved here” she said smiling.

I laughed and shook my head “ex-actress’” i stated.

“You don’t have an agent now?” she replied.

I nodded “are you offering?” i asked smiling.

Jessie shook her head “i was just thinking maybe you could look around for a new one” she suggested.

I shook my head “no, i don’t really think i need one, i’ll just ride solo for awhile until i know whether work will pick up or not” i said.

“Thanks” i said as the waiter took our order. His eyes lingered for a moment and then he walked away.

I knew what he was thinking, is that Alba Maudes? no it can’t be, she’d never move to Manchester, but then again i haven’t heard much about her these past few months. Just as the realisation would hit him, he’d have to keep in a professional manner and not ask for my autograph.

I wasn’t being big headed but it had happened in Italy and plus Jessie had told me the thoughts of these random people many times before.

I smiled and sipped my Pepsi. “We haven’t had a girly lunch in ages” she replied.

I shook my head. “We’ll have to try and spend a day together at least once a week, how many days do you get off from the shop?” i asked.

“3, Friday, Saturday and Sunday” she said.

I nodded “well this week it’s Friday so you can decide when we can do girly things next week” i said.

Jessie smiled and nodded. Now the thing was i didn’t have to work if i didn’t want to.

I mean i was a millionaire and could happily buy my own place and not have to work ever again but the thing was, i hated being alone.

This meant i couldn’t face not living with someone, whether it be a person or a pet, i just didn’t like going home to an empty house.

Then there was the point where i didn’t have to work, i had enough money to let me stay at home all day, but then the boredom kicked in and i felt like killing myself after a week or two of sitting in the house doing nothing but paint my toenails.

About 20 minutes after we had ordered our food came.

“Not as good as my mom’s” i commented eating the pasta that had been placed in front of me.

Jessie laughed “it wouldn’t be, you and your mom are the best cooks that i know, and please don’t tell my mom” Jessie said.

I smiled “it tastes like flour” i muttered taking another bite of the pasta.

After eating half of the bowl out of manners i placed down my fork. “Do you think they’ll be offended if i don’t eat anymore?” i asked quietly.

Jessie smiled softly “no, i’m sure they have people eating a lot less and as an excuse you can get Diego out” she said looking into the buggy as Diego looked around.

I smiled and crouched down in front of the buggy.

“Hey squirt” i said picking him up out of the buggy.

He smiled sleepily and clung to me tightly. I sat back in my chair and rocked him slightly. Jessie smiled and went back to eating.

Within 20 minutes we were both chatting about our lives.

“Have you finished?” the waiter asked.

We both nodded and went back to our conversation as he left.

“What do paparazzi look like?” Jessie asked.

I laughed “why do you want to know that?” i asked.

“Because i think there might be some outside” she commented softly.

“Ok well we should go now, i’ll carry Diego and you can push the buggy” i explained softly.

Jessie stood up and i paid for the bill before we walked outside. I immediately tried to shield Diego’s face from the flashing cameras of the press.

We pushed past them and went to the car. As soon as i’d fastened Diego into his car seat and got into the car we drove off.

“Sorry” i apologized as we pulled into the drive way of our house.

Jessie chuckled “it dosen’t matter, i suppose we should be happy that they were there, at least now people will know that you’re in England” she said getting out of the car.

I smiled and nodded “i guess we should” i said.

We walked into the house and Diego immediately ran up the stairs. I jumped slightly as my phone started to ring.

I frowned as i saw a private number come up.

I looked over at Jessie who nodded for me to answer it. “You can always hang up” she said following Diego up the stairs. I nodded and slid up my phone.

“Hello?” i answered.

“Miss Maudes?” a woman asked.

I blinked quickly “yes, can i ask whose calling?” i asked.

“This is Laura from This Morning, we were wondering if maybe you’d be interested in doing an interview with us next week?” she asked.

I smiled “sure, i guess i could make time” i said casually. Inside i was squealing with excitement.

We exchanged some information and we both hung up.

I smiled and ran up the stairs.

Following the voices i walked into Diego’s room “i got an interview next Wednesday, i have to drive down to London on Tuesday and be up at 5am on Wednesday but who cares, i mean i actually got an interview” i squealed.

Jessie smiled and picked me up in a hug.

“I’m so proud of you Allie” she said putting me down and looking down at Diego.

“Auntie Allie has an interview” she said to him. He smiled and latched onto my calf.

I smiled happily and picked him up.

He giggled in happiness and i let him go back on the floor.

“Does that mean we get to go shopping for the interview?” Jessie asked smiling.

“Definitely” i agreed laughing.
♠ ♠ ♠
what do you think?

Love comments and rate me please