Status: Read, Stay with me... Please!

Look at Me

18.

Paige didn’t realize she was crying until she was. For the second time that night, tears were rapidly tracking down her cheeks. For the second time that night she just felt…helpless, because her life. Her perfect, normal, life. It wasn’t even real. It was a fucking lie. It was like she’d been asleep and now she was very much awake.
The dream was better. The lie was nicer…
But did she want it back?
Did she want to walk through life with eyes wide shut?
Paige thought of Hayden. The strange mysterious boy she hadn’t even really known existed a few days ago. He was something other. Something out of nightmares and horror movies. It made absolutely NO sense, but she hadn’t imagined him in her bathtub! Had she? She really hadn’t resorted to make believe ? Also know as crazy ass hallucinations.
Paige pressed her finger to hard against her temple as she tried to get a grip. Then she blinked her eyes several times and her hand searched out her bedroom door. If she was going to have a mental breakdown at least it could be in private. Once she walked into her room Paige realized of course that she wasn’t alone. A black German Shepherd was sleeping on her bed.

***

Slipping back into his other self was either the best or the worst thing Hayden could possibly do. When he saw Paige’s expression from under half -closed lids, he decided it was probably the worst.
She looked…well to put it mildly, she looked fuckin pissed. And that was putting it mildly. Her face twisted into a mask of absolute anger as she marched over to her bedside.
“Hayden,” she all but screamed. “I know that’s you. I KNOW I’m not crazy! Now you can either change back to yourself, or you can get the fuck out, because this is not a game. And if it is then I am not in the mood to play.”
Hayden had thought he would be less threatening in his adorable doggie form. Apparently not.

***

Paige took a deep breath and dragged her finger through her messy hair. She was half expecting something to happen and half hoping it wouldn’t. It all came down to the million dollar question. Would she rather be crazy or right?

When Hayden shifted, Paige expected to see a rippling bone structure covered in writhing flesh. She expected something gruesome or at least kind of magical. Maybe blue sparklies and smoke effects?
But it really wasn’t like that at all. It was like someone changing the T.V. channel. One second her eyes registered one image, the next she was seeing another. One second there was a dog sitting on her bed, the next a naked boy. It was certainly magical. Seriously, how often did people change into dogs? But it wasn’t exactly werewolf- ish…
And as Paige turned her eyes away from his body, she didn’t feel very scared.
Freaked out? Yes.
Mortified? Completely.
But not scared.